How to muggle a virtual

At what point is it considered not to be the Cutty Sark anymore? from all the info given out it seems to be there is not too much orgiinal about it. but i have not been so its more of a genuine question and i mean no offense for a change!

Apparently all the masts, yards, rigging and most of the deck superstructure had been removed and are in safe storage at Chatham. The wrought iron frames seem to have survived without bending or warping and a lot of the timbers are charred but have not been totally consumed. If they rebuild her, then I suspect there will be more of the original than in a lot of other old 'stuff' that has been 'restored'.

At what point is it considered not to be the Cutty Sark anymore? from all the info given out it seems to be there is not too much orgiinal about it. but i have not been so its more of a genuine question and i mean no offense for a change!

a bit like HMS Victory

Apparently all the masts, yards, rigging and most of the deck superstructure had been removed and are in safe storage at Chatham. The wrought iron frames seem to have survived without bending or warping and a lot of the timbers are charred but have not been totally consumed. If they rebuild her, then I suspect there will be more of the original than in a lot of other old 'stuff' that has been 'restored'.

Also, when a wooden boat is in use, bits of it get replaced all the time, so apart from the keel and the iron ribs, most of the cutty sark (planks, decking, masts, sails etc.) would have been replaced at one point or another. I suppose it's still the original if it's repaired rather than completely rebuilt from new parts (that would make it a replica)

A similar thing applies if you're restoring a car and use a new chassis, engine, transmission and suspension. If you replace all these bits, DVLA won't let you use the original registration unless you've used (I think) at least 50% of the parts from a donor car.

It's also a bit like my great great grandfather's old axe, which is still going strong after 150 years. We had to replace the handle recently, and my father put a new head on it when the original broke, but it's amazing that that axe has lasted so long!

The DVLA use a points system for different elements of the car - there's enough doner in my kitcar that it kept its number and didn't end up a Q. You can replace a general plate with a cherished one to 'hide' the age of a car or add your initials to it if you've nothing better to spend your money on, but once you have a Q you're stuck with it as you can't transfer it off the vehicle.

Anyway, as a past logger of this fine virtual, and owner of one close by, I hope she'll be sorted in time for the Olympics. Just be careful with that Olympic flame... :D

a bit like HMS Victory

I used to look after her - I can confirm that all that's left of the original HMS Victory is the grand total of 7%. Not forgetting the carbon fibre masts, the glass fibre cannons..... :D In 1946 her sister ship was towed out into the Solent and blown up because the Labour government at the time felt that there was no need for it to be kept for the nation, even though she too was at Trafalgar.

Considering what a shocking state the poor old Cutty Sark was in before the fire quite a lot of it would have needed replacing anyway - some of the now damaged metal ribs were so rusted through you could poke a hole through with your finger. Its a beautiful ship and you cant beat the atmosphere, the smells and the look of an old Clipper like that - try to visit her when she is open to the public once more, and try to go on a windy day as the noise of the rigging is something else. :D