The "da Vinci Challenge" has Begun!

Redwing_dave

FunkMaster, since you're offering to do some on-site investigation, I'd like to know if LdV's mausoleum drawing (on the back of the Arago coin) actually corresponds to the Santa Maria delle Grazie, as has been suggested in this thread. The photos of SMdG I've found on internet don't confirm that. I suspect that LdV's drawing was just a proposed mausoleum design. I'd like to know where in the church they buried Beatrice (I think she was the only Sforza family member who was actually buried there).

Welcome to the team! I don't have the coins yet, either, but the printouts are sufficient for me for now. Enjoy Italy!

Great to see some new blood on the hunt for some answers. GoldBugGirl....if you look at drawings from LdV's notebook's, it is a proposed sketch of the mausoleum. The significance of this regarding the coins lies in the two coloured squares, which aren't coloured in on LdV's notebook sketch...so RWD has done this to deliberately to point to something...but to what is the thing we need to find out. I've got one more week of holidays and moving house, after which I will be back into the swing of things to provide a few more answers.

Cheers.

M.V.

Edited by Marcus Vitruvius

We are busy beavers re-establishing all of the research. Anyone notice that there is an "a" missing in the quote on the Vitruvian coin, it should come before life? The deletion makes it 64 letters instead of 65. There are 64 squares on a chess board, a Knight is one of the pieces. If you use the Templar's Knight's Tour Chessboard and the Hamitonian Path, the whole saying fits on the board.

Edited by 2 Blind Squirrels

Some really, really interesting observations there. I've seen the da Vinci quote both with an "a" before life and without, but at first blush, I think you've come up with some good possibilities, and some good new avenues to explore.

I may have posted a bit too quickly. By my count, there are 61 letters in the version of the quote that appears on the coin. You can bring the character count to 64 by including the hyphen, comma and period and ignoring the quotation marks, though.

My first thought was to plot out those 64 characters in an 8x8 grid, as on a chessboard (I really like the chessboard idea, with its relation to knights), and using the numbers on the mausoleum side of the Paris Meridian coin to map out certain letters. Then I realized there are 17 numbers in those strings combined, and one of them is a 9. So that idea's out the door.

Here's hoping your observations shake loose something valuable. Someone with more knowledge of ciphers than I might be able to make something of the 8x8 grid idea.

Edited by jsarche

Some really, really interesting observations there. I've seen the da Vinci quote both with an "a" before life and without, but at first blush, I think you've come up with some good possibilities, and some good new avenues to explore.

I may have posted a bit too quickly. By my count, there are 61 letters in the version of the quote that appears on the coin. You can bring the character count to 64 by including the hyphen, comma and period and ignoring the quotation marks, though.

My first thought was to plot out those 64 characters in an 8x8 grid, as on a chessboard (I really like the chessboard idea, with its relation to knights), and using the numbers on the mausoleum side of the Paris Meridian coin to map out certain letters. Then I realized there are 17 numbers in those strings combined, and one of them is a 9. So that idea's out the door.

Here's hoping your observations shake loose something valuable. Someone with more knowledge of ciphers than I might be able to make something of the 8x8 grid idea.

The quotation on the coin includes LdV. Since they were on the coin we included them in the letter count bringing it up to 64. The following is the chessboard we came up with. There seems to be only one configuration that allows placement of letters without hitting any box more than once.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s69/TwoBlindSquirrels/KnightsTourChessboard.jpg

Edited by 2 Blind Squirrels

The quotation on the coin includes LdV. Since they were on the coin we included them in the letter count bringing it up to 64. The following is the chessboard we came up with. There seems to be only one configuration that allows placement of letters without hitting any box more than once.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s69/TwoBlindSquirrels/KnightsTourChessboard.jpg

That makes sense, thanks - I hadn't thought to include the initials. Looks like a lot of work went into placing those letters.

A couple of questions...

1. Can anyone tell me where one might be able to purchase this set? I know there is a seperate thread for purchasing but that just tells me they are sold out and I did try ebay. Would really love to have these coins in my hand for my trip...

2.2Blind Squirrles...Could you explain to me how you decided upon that order of letters on your chessboard? Why doesn't it just go left to right and up or down...why are they "scattered"? Seems random to me but I am sure you had a methoed to your maddness!!

3. Has anyone been to the mausoleum before and seen this all in person? Have we had any input from someone thats been there before? Might give me something to work on. Also are there any other major sites in Italy that have been discovered to have anything to do with the coins that I should visit?

I am really looking forward to being part of the team!!

...T.

We looked at "follow knight's end" as a reference to a chess game. The Knights Templar played a version called Knight's Tour. It doesn't matter where you put your first letter, we chose the top, left corner, but every move has to be a "knight's move", 2 up, 1 over or some version of that. You cannot land on the same square twice. There are all kinds of ciphers that go along with this, we just haven't gotten any further than this. "Knight's Tour" is a strategy game on the internet today. If we are barking up the wrong tree, it would be great for somebody to tell us to quit. We have dabbled with this for almost 3 years and just can't see past it.

474px-SaintPierre4.jpgIs anyone out there? Sorry for all of the posts, but we are excited about maybe making some forward movement with these wonderful, "make you crazy", coins. We were rereading some of Dave's comments about the mausoleum design and that the challenge has nothing to do with the circle of churches but one very special church. This is the original plans for St. Peter's Basilica in Rome by Donato Bramante. He also built the tribune of Santa Maria delle Grazie. Does this make anyone's palms itch? The center square is the tomb of St. Peter. Comments, PLEASE!!! Edited by 2 Blind Squirrels

I was looking at the Knights Templar coin and think I found something interesting. "Follow Knights End" on the back of the coin when mirrored looking at the front of the coin puts the stars on the west side of the coin and the sun rising on the east side of the coin. My conclusions from this are:

1. The knights are folling the end of night and we are following behind them.

2. The night's end is when the sun rises. And the Sun could represent the Son of God.

3. Or following nights end is talking about the morning star.

Hopefully I am not just looking to much into this.

I was looking at the Knights Templar coin and think I found something interesting. "Follow Knights End" on the back of the coin when mirrored looking at the front of the coin puts the stars on the west side of the coin and the sun rising on the east side of the coin. My conclusions from this are:

1. The knights are folling the end of night and we are following behind them.

2. The night's end is when the sun rises. And the Sun could represent the Son of God.

3. Or following nights end is talking about the morning star.

Hopefully I am not just looking to much into this.

I have to apologize to you all...I was unable to do by reconnaissence mission for you all. We did not get to see the Last Supper. I was very disappointed by this but had a great trip all the same. Still would love to get a set of these coins so I feel I can really start working on this mystery. Maybe someone who has been working on this for a while can compile some of the "Known Facts" "Supposed Facts" and "Rumours and Ideas" into one are so those of us that are newer to this might have a jumping off point. Compiling this info might help to see something we have missed too.

...T.

I have found a da Vinci coin in a geocache and am trying to figure out how to log it in. It is the Vitruvian Man coin, reference TB1krd9. When I enter the tracking code I get this message "Sorry. The tracking number does not match for this trackable." Is the tracking number also encrypted? Any help would be appreciated so that I can pass this coin along.

I have found a da Vinci coin in a geocache and am trying to figure out how to log it in. It is the Vitruvian Man coin, reference TB1krd9. When I enter the tracking code I get this message "Sorry. The tracking number does not match for this trackable." Is the tracking number also encrypted? Any help would be appreciated so that I can pass this coin along.

The TB number isn't the tracking code. That code is used to identify trackables "publicly" so people can refer to a specific trackable without giving away the tracking code, which can be used to discover or grab a trackable. The actual tracking code is stamped on the coin. It should be a five- or six-character alphanumeric string. If I recall correctly, it should start with "DV" and can be found on the side of the coin opposite Vitruvian man's image.

The TB number isn't the tracking code. That code is used to identify trackables "publicly" so people can refer to a specific trackable without giving away the tracking code, which can be used to discover or grab a trackable. The actual tracking code is stamped on the coin. It should be a five- or six-character alphanumeric string. If I recall correctly, it should start with "DV" and can be found on the side of the coin opposite Vitruvian man's image.

Yes. It is the TB number that I am missing. I have the coin and DV tracking code. But the wrong public TB number was with it so now I can't log it in. I believe that this coin must belong to someone who sent their geocoin traveling. So I am trying to reach anyone that has not heard from there Vituvian man geocoin in awhile.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/default.aspx

Just add the DV tracking code and search for it

If the coin is activated you will get to the coins profile and you can see the reference number and the owner of the coin.

But why do you want to have the reference number because you only need the tracking code to log the coin?????

I have entered the DV tracking code into the geocoin tracking page, but I get the following message "The Travel Bug you requested does not exist in the system." I've tried to retrieve the activation code from the geocaching web site but I get the same message. I've checked the minters web site but they are on sabbatical and the website isn't functioning.