The "da Vinci Challenge" has Begun!

Redwing_dave

I am pleased to announce that the "da Vinci Challenge" has officially begun. :) Two sets of designer edition antique copper "da Vinci Challenge Geocoins" are up for grabs in this contest. All of the rules and details of the Challenge are available at THIS WEBSITE! If you plan to participate, please take the time to review this information.

The "da Vinci Challenge Geocoins" turned out wonderful, but you don't have to take my word for it, take a look for yourself:

Fronts

daVinci-fronts.jpg

Backs

daVinci-backs.jpg

The pictured coins are proofs in antique bronze (pictures were taken with different cameras and in different lighting, explaining the color variation between the coins). There will be 3 coins per set; 335 sets total. All of the coins will be antique bronze, except 25 antique silver sets (8 of these were awarded in the "da Vinci mini-contest), and 10 antique copper sets (2 of which will be given away in the "da Vinci Challenge"). The antique bronze coins can be purchased starting on Thursday, May 24th if you are interested, but no purchase is necessary to participate in this Challenge (you just need the images that I've provided you with).

Please use this thread to share your insights or ask questions about the "da Vinci Challenge." If you feel so inclined, this would be a great place to share those "lightbulb" moments you have as you try to solve the challenge. There is a separate THREAD devoted to info about the sale of the coins. Please use this thread specifically for things related to the Challenge.

Thanks, and GOOD LUCK!

-RD

I can't even figure out what I'm going to have for lunch... :cry:

If anyone has a template they use to offer a blanket apology to their employer for lost productivity at work now would be the time to post it... :(

I'm lucky - my boss geocaches too!

Nice coins Dave!

I'm luckier...I AM the boss... :)

This sounds pretty cool.

Question: Will we have to buy the geocoins to play the quest, or will other photos be posted for us to view with better details? My computer is not that great to view the above photos for playing the quest, as the fine details do not show up.

Thanks for the challange, let the game begin. :D

legna and sOulbAit

This sounds pretty cool.

Question: Will we have to buy the geocoins to play the quest, or will other photos be posted for us to view with better details? My computer is not that great to view the above photos for playing the quest, as the fine details do not show up.

Thanks for the challange, let the game begin. :P

legna and sOulbAit

You do not have to buy the coins. Before posting the pictures, I verified that at this size, all details necessary to solve the puzzle are visible and distinguishable. Since some of these pictures were taken at the mint, I am limited in my ability to enlarge them without them starting to grow fuzzy (still waiting for all of the actual coins to arrive, only have pictures for two of them). My recommendation, if it all possible, would be to somehow print these out on a high quality printer. Even if you have a computer/monitor that gives you a nice view of the coins, I think having a printout would be helpful (note: this is a hint) ;) .

-RD

Edited by Redwing_dave

Question for all participants!

Would anyone be opposed to me extending the end of the contest to approximately July 20th?

Based on some comments I've received from people stating that they would really like to have the coins in hand to help decypher the puzzle, and since international buyers may not receive their coins until mid June (based on the speed of postal services in various countries), the current end date seems like it might be a little premature. I originally chose that date (I think it's like June 22nd or something like that...I can't even remember myself :anibad: ) because I have the misfortune of going to Fishing in Alaska for about 3 weeks, starting in the end of June. :anibad: I hoped to have this wrapped up before I left. Now I'm thinking that it might be best to add a month, and finalize things when I get back. The one downside is that while I'm in Alaska I won't be checking my email or the forums frequently, so I may not be available to answer questions.

Please post your thoughts in this forum, and I'll make a decision based on the opinions expressed here.

-RD

P.S. If you didn't notice, the da Vinci Challenge coins went on sale today. They're well over half sold, so if you're hoping to get your hands on a set, don't delay.

Would anyone be opposed to me extending the end of the contest to approximately July 20th?

Based on some comments I've received from people stating that they would really like to have the coins in hand to help decypher the puzzle, and since international buyers may not receive their coins until mid June (based on the speed of postal services in various countries), the current end date seems like it might be a little premature. I originally chose that date (I think it's like June 22nd or something like that...I can't even remember myself :anibad: ) because I have the misfortune of going to Fishing in Alaska for about 3 weeks, starting in the end of June. :anibad: I hoped to have this wrapped up before I left. Now I'm thinking that it might be best to add a month, and finalize things when I get back. The one downside is that while I'm in Alaska I won't be checking my email or the forums frequently, so I may not be available to answer questions.

Please post your thoughts in this forum, and I'll make a decision based on the opinions expressed here.

-RD

P.S. If you didn't notice, the da Vinci Challenge coins went on sale today. They're well over half sold, so if you're hoping to get your hands on a set, don't delay.

Heck, July 20, 2008 would work nicely with my expected solution time horizon...

Your contest, your rules. I say change them as much as you like as often as you like. I really liked the one where you had to play tour guide for an out of towner to be eligible to win this, and that person had to have the same name as you. I bet that puts me way in the lead on this one, or not.

Your contest, your rules. I say change them as much as you like as often as you like. I really liked the one where you had to play tour guide for an out of towner to be eligible to win this, and that person had to have the same name as you. I bet that puts me way in the lead on this one, or not.

Yes, that would put you on a very short list Jim, and I think you're the only one on that list that has posted in this thread. By the way thanks again for showing me around Pittsburgh. I'm still trying to get my wife to move there (with me) :laughing: .

:anicute:

Well, the simple tricks didn't work:

SFKDAADLWKGJKGSF

KGOVJAFAQCFSUES

was all I got from the mirror writing ROT13'd

[edit] Didn't miss but couldn't get the 'A deep red route ... do be mute ... nor us again'

Next! :unsure:

Nice catch on the mirror writing. You have successfully translated it....now to figure out what it means.... :laughing:

:rolleyes:

Well, the simple tricks didn't work:

SFKDAADLWKGJKGSF

KGOVJAFAQCFSUES

was all I got from the mirror writing ROT13'd

[edit] Didn't miss but couldn't get the 'A deep red route ... do be mute ... nor us again'

Next! :P

WOW!! I better HURRY!!! Looks like someone else is on the right track as well!!

:rolleyes: I GOT IT SOLVED!

I will email the coin owner for verifications.

After that I will let my knowledge be known.

I had to do some SERIOUS research to get this one solved.

WOO-HOO! :P

This may sound strange but I think I would actually prefer to have the solution not revealed yet. I'm still working on it and I know I would not have the will power not to look. Then again, I'm sure there are others that would love to see it. Just my $0.02. Oh, and nice job!

:P I GOT IT SOLVED!

I will email the coin owner for verifications.

After that I will let my knowledge be known.

I had to do some SERIOUS research to get this one solved.

WOO-HOO! :P

This may sound strange but I think I would actually prefer to have the solution not revealed yet. I'm still working on it and I know I would not have the will power not to look. Then again, I'm sure there are others that would love to see it. Just my $0.02. Oh, and nice job!

No Worries! "Cloggedtoilet" is a local here that was just trying to psych everybody out. He actually doesn't even have a clue where to start on the puzzle. :rolleyes: As another point, there are a lot of locals here that bought this coin set, and are working on the puzzle, who otherwise don't frequent the geocoin forums. They're doing this one because they know me, and they are interested in this Coin Challenge for personal reasons (I'm a great guy, what can I say :( ). We had our annual UTAG picnic today, and some locals were trying to get a hint out of me. I want to say this up front, just so it is clear for all contestants: locals have absolutely no advantage in this contest over the rest of you. Just because someone knows me, will not effect their chances of solving this puzzle or winning a coin. Georgia from thecachingplace.com can serve as my witness, since she, as my minter doesn't even have any more information on solving this puzzle than anyone else out there. I just wanted to make that clear from the beginning. Oh, and as for the people that tried to get hints today, I told them they'd have to watch this thread just like the rest of you. Any hints that I give out will be given out here, for all to see.

Wanted to make sure that was clear before this contest went any further. Thanks for bearing with me.

-RD

Edited by Redwing_dave

Based on some comments I've received from people stating that they would really like to have the coins in hand to help decypher the puzzle, and since international buyers may not receive their coins until mid June (based on the speed of postal services in various countries), the current end date seems like it might be a little premature. I originally chose that date (I think it's like June 22nd or something like that...I can't even remember myself :sunsure: ) because I have the misfortune of going to Fishing in Alaska for about 3 weeks, starting in the end of June. :D I hoped to have this wrapped up before I left. Now I'm thinking that it might be best to add a month, and finalize things when I get back. The one downside is that while I'm in Alaska I won't be checking my email or the forums frequently, so I may not be available to answer questions.

-RD

:lol: Extend the date please. Go fishing while we work on puzzle. Seems only fair to give international buyers a chance. Beautiful coins. Going to order in morning. Thanks for all your hard work. :D

I trust you! I don't even know you, but I'm thinking if you go through all this to create a fun game for us, you certainly wouldn't tell anybody the answer! LOL

Yeah, I guess you've got a point there. I appreciate the trust. :sunsure:

As a side note, I will be extending the deadline for the game to July 20th @ 11:59 PM Mountain Daylight Time. This is not reflected on the linked contest page yet, since thecachingplace is graciously hosting that page for me. I'll get the message to them so that they can update the contest page for me.

yes please go catch some fishies and leave us to puzzle it out. i only just ordered my coins ( puzzle coin collector ) although i'm not a serious contender for a solve it is nice not to just see the answer without having a decent run at it.

Just so we're all clear on this, if no one solves the puzzle during the allotted time, I don't plan to reveal the answer. ;) It will go unsolved until someone figures it out. The July 20th deadline is just to make sure I don't take the coins to the grave with me. I may take the solution to this puzzle to the grave with me. Leonardo's life wouldn't be nearly as intriguing if it was all spelled out for us, so in his honor I don't plan to spell out this puzzle either. Good Luck. It's up to you.... ;)

I had hoped my coins would arrive over the weekend, but nothing yet. It seems like the mail has been slow lately. I got to see a set at our MGS 5th Anniversary event yesterday but not long enough to decypher anything. I did see what appeared to be a very obvious phrase on the back of one, but will have to wait until I get the set to figure it out. This will be tough since we don't know how many encryptions/phrases we're looking for.

:blink:

Really creative coins!!

So, you say you'll never figure out the puzzle? You're had enough, and you're through trying? Well, have I got a deal for you!!

I just put a set of Copper XLE da Vinci Coins up for auction on ebay to help my local Boy Scout Troop have funds for their summer camp and activities. I think its important for kids to have a chance to experience something besides video games during the summer, so I'm trying to help our local Scouting Program out with a little money. All proceeds go directly to the Boy Scouts. While on ebay, you may want to check out my other auctions (also supporting the Boy Scouts), which include a silver (25 made) edition of da Vinci coins, designer's editions of the Original Stash and the 7th Anniversary stash coins, and my personal top 40 coin.

Here's the link to the XLE Copper da Vinci coin set!

So the number of encryptions/cyphers and number of phrases we're looking for are unknown? I am having a tough time so far as I don't know how much I should be looking for and what it means in respect to another level of the puzzle B). So far I just have a few disjointed phrases which may or may not be the dead ends which were talked about. I am fairly sure due to the fact that one is very obvious, it probably is a dead end. I must say my lightbulb is looking very dim. Actually, the light isn't even on and I am locked out of the house :lol:!

Glad we are not the only group feeling ignorant. Thought we had part last night only to discover we made error in transcription. Reading everything we can locate which might help; so far no luck. Agree easy phrases most likely dead ends. Would Dave really be that devious?

Educational to say least. B)

We absolutely love the coins. We are big da Vinci Code fans to start with so this fits right in. Our problem is that a new puzzle cache was just put out called The Tomb of the Holy Grail. It is the same data base as your coins. Our heads are so crammed full of Knigts Templar, meridians, da Vinci, inventions, codes, encryptions that they don't fit through the doorways anymore. We don't go out to dinner, but sit at the table pouring over these coins. We have it very bad. Do you know of a Coinaholic Anonymous group that we could join?

Lovin' every minute of it!

2 Blind Squirrels

Glad we are not the only group feeling ignorant. Thought we had part last night only to discover we made error in transcription. Reading everything we can locate which might help; so far no luck. Agree easy phrases most likely dead ends. Would Dave really be that devious?

Educational to say least. B)

I wouldn't be that devious (or would I?). :lol: Actually, every phrase on the coin leads toward the desired endpoint. Obviously, the easier the phrase or encryption, the less mileage you'll get out of it, but the easier ones will help you figure out the higher levels of encryption. So, if it helps any, your decryptions are not in vain; without decyphering the text phrases, you will not move forward, unless you just make a random guess, and I'm not sure what the odds of guessing right would be (1/1,000,000,000 maybe??).

So the number of encryptions/cyphers and number of phrases we're looking for are unknown? I am having a tough time so far as I don't know how much I should be looking for and what it means in respect to another level of the puzzle :). So far I just have a few disjointed phrases which may or may not be the dead ends which were talked about. I am fairly sure due to the fact that one is very obvious, it probably is a dead end. I must say my lightbulb is looking very dim. Actually, the light isn't even on and I am locked out of the house B)!

Sorry to hear that you're locked out of the house. :lol:

You will have to work through numerous encryptions and cyphers to get to the correct solutions. I will give you a big hint: the total number of correct solutions is >1 but <13. Figuring out exactly how many is something you'll find encrypted in the coins. A solution could be anything: a person, a place, an invention, a date, etc. (I better not go on, cause I don't want to mention every possibility, but those are a few ideas that might help.

-RD

If the numbers on the Paris Meridian Geocoin are lattitude and longitude, then I'm diving and looking for shipwrecks. I'm pretty sure I'm on the wrong track here. Glub Glub Glub. :lol:

OK. I made a subtle adjustment in my calculations, and ... I'm still swimming with the fishies. :)

Well, maybe I added where I should have subtracted? BZZT! Wrong again, Criswell B)

Edited by Criswell

Educational to say least. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be that devious (or would I?). :unsure: Actually, every phrase on the coin leads toward the desired endpoint. Obviously, the easier the phrase or encryption, the less mileage you'll get out of it, but the easier ones will help you figure out the higher levels of encryption. So, if it helps any, your decryptions are not in vain; without decyphering the text phrases, you will not move forward, unless you just make a random guess, and I'm not sure what the odds of guessing right would be (1/1,000,000,000 maybe??).

Soooo, your saying we have a chance?? :unsure:;):D

Educational to say least. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be that devious (or would I?). :unsure: Actually, every phrase on the coin leads toward the desired endpoint. Obviously, the easier the phrase or encryption, the less mileage you'll get out of it, but the easier ones will help you figure out the higher levels of encryption. So, if it helps any, your decryptions are not in vain; without decyphering the text phrases, you will not move forward, unless you just make a random guess, and I'm not sure what the odds of guessing right would be (1/1,000,000,000 maybe??).

Soooo, your saying we have a chance?? :unsure:;);)

Certainly! I just wouldn't recommend taking those odds in Vegas. :D

The description on the challenge page says that the "thing" on the back of the Vitruvian coin is a screwpress for minting coins. Given that "Mr Vitruvian" is holding a Garmin Map 60 and three pens, I thought Redwing Dave was pulling our legs and had put a water bottle on the back, as a reminder to keep hydrated while caching. What a surprise when I looked up DaVinci's drawings and found, sure enough it's a screwpress for minting coins, although I still think it looks like a water bottle. :rolleyes:

I was able to determine what ARAGO means. I found out quite a lot about the Knights Templar. I learned about DaVinci's screwpress. I looked in a mirror (although I got the phrase wrong - "A Deep Red Rouge"). I couldn't tell if the odd letter in the series FSX_NN_YIX was a C or an E, but someone else said it was a Q.

But, after spending far too much time on this, I have officially given up on this challenge. But I want to thank Redwing Dave for the beautiful coin set, and for the interesting challenge he has laid before us. :unsure:

Edited by Criswell