Accuracy Problem with Venture CX

I've had a Venture CX since December. When I bought the unit in December, the first thing I did was to load version 2.40 (I think) of the unit software from the Garmin website. I use the GPS for geocaching, and have been amazed at how accurate it has always been. When the unit zeros out, I can usually find the cache within 5 or 6 feet.

A few weeks ago I saw that someone on this forum had installed a new unit software release (2.70). Likewise, I went straight to Garmin and installed the version 2.70 software too. Now when I am caching, I am 60-80 ft from the cache when it zeros out (if I can even find the cache). The compass needle starts spinning crazily at 30-40 feet from zero.

Today I was in a clear, unobstructed area. I laid the unit down on a concrete wall, let it sit there for a few minutes, and then created a waypoint without picking up the unit. Then I walked 60-80 feet away and tried to navigate to it. When I was at the original waypoint spot, the unit said that I had 37 feet to go.

Has anyone else had this problem? Will a hard reset fix the problem? It's frustrating to try to cache with an inaccurate GPS.

Fred

Yes! This sounds exactly like the problem my geocaching buddy has been having with his garmin. The only difference is that his is a Vista Cx. I think he upgraded to v 2.70 as well, but I'll have to double check on the details. He even called Garmin about it and they said it was normal, which makes me a little concerned about whether they'll fix it. I was very skeptical myself at first, but it's proven itself to be consistent. My friend's Vista Cx is now consistently (mostly) 30 or 40 feet east (perhaps east-northeast) of mine, when it used to consistently be on spot with mine. I'm curious if that's the direction you're off, too.

I was curious, wanted to volunteer information if I had it, and wanted the information in case I bought a unit as well, so I just searched the forums for this problem and found your post.

It appears at first glance that Garmin only provides the latest software, but you should be able to get an older version of the software from wayback machine if you don't still have your download around from last December. There is an old thread on downgrading firmware. Although it is for the 60CS, there may still be useful information there. See: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=94644

In any case, it sounds like a good idea to try a hard reset first. You'll lose user data and settings, but the same seems to be true if you try downgrading.

The rest of the bad news--there is some pretty good stuff in the 2.70 software least, especially the fix for the Daylight Savings Time change. Still, nothing can be as bad as that kind of lost accuracy.

Have you solved the problem yet? If so, or if you've tried anything that didn't work, please post what you tried and the results, as I'd be curious to find out. I never upgraded my Legend C, and it would be nice to know if I could fix it if it develops the same problem as the Venture Cx and Vista Cx. I'll post if I learn anything more.

I had the same thing happen with my Venture Cx. I didn't check the forums until after I upgraded and had the accuracy problem and the compass screen locking during navigation. Then I checked here and found two threads discussing this problem. I went back to the previous firmware version. Check the threads and you'll find all this discussed. You're not alone.

Edited by jackrock

It also seems that Garmin is aware of this issue after all, so hopefully it will be fixed in the next firmware release.

What makes you say that Garmin are aware of the problem?

I don't know what xplorer7 had in mind but they do know. I notified them and they told me how to revert to the previous firmware. I've read forum message by others who have informed them as well.

It also seems that Garmin is aware of this issue after all, so hopefully it will be fixed in the next firmware release.

What makes you say that Garmin are aware of the problem?

My friend had the same experience as jackrock yesterday. He called again and talked to a different customer support guy this time. The representative said they'd been getting calls about this, and he provided some of the same solution to him that was given in the last few posts.

My friend had the same experience as jackrock yesterday. He called again and talked to a different customer support guy this time. The representative said they'd been getting calls about this, and he provided some of the same solution to him that was given in the last few posts.

Well its good to know that they know.Hopefully Garmin will get their act together and release an update soon.