2007 Indiana geocoin

Neos2

<snip>

I have to admit that I don't much like the photo of the OH coin in this thread with the topo features on it (and I teach Earth Science)--Has anyone seen that coin--surely the photo doesn't do it justice?

<snip>

I have the Ohio coin in hand right now. It's actually a great coin! The topo features look pretty cool.

I don't care for the lake at the top, but I suppose it made it an easier coin to do because of a small peninsula up there.

The back of the Ohio coin has some facts about the canals & caches, much like has been suggested for the back of our Indiana coin.

I just had a thought... it would be cool if every state did a state-shaped coin in the same scale so that you could put them all together!

Edited by markz68

wow, this is cool. i can't wait to get these in the mail!!

first, i think the suggestion to use both metals would really look cool. i hope that pans out and looks as good as i think it will.

also, i agree that a finer grained hatching in the background would be easier on the eye. (although, i must admit that the ohio coin was interesting in its background, and i'd like to see one up close...)

whatever happens from here, i'm ready to post my order.

We haven't decided that yet. If we wanted to stick with the tradition, gold with nickel would be the resident and nickel with gold would be the trackable.

Thanks for taking the time to lay those out--that helps me, a lot!

The outer edge will have to be the same color on both sides, I believe.

See how this image has gold on one side and nickel on the other? Could we get you to redo the the entire set of coins again with the same color edge on both sets of pairs, please?

frontnoin07rp4.jpgin07backjs3.jpg

I think I prefer the raised smooth lines and the rough background, in the drawings.

As far as "coin in hand" that may be different, though, as I did like the looks of the PA coin shown in this thread. image026.jpg

I have to admit that I don't much like the photo of the OH coin in this thread with the topo features on it (and I teach Earth Science)--Has anyone seen that coin--surely the photo doesn't do it justice?

By the way, I am calling the side with the torch the back, since it's backwards--even though the tracking numbers are on the other side. Can we agree to that, so it's easier to discuss suggestions?

I like the back side, with the torch, just the way it is. There really isn't a way to add text to that side without changing the visual balance. Ask any art teacher, it's all about balance!

The last two posts with pictures, I believe they were dougsmiley and neos2 posts, had "INDIANA 2007" at the top of the back side of the coin. Were they just to see what the two metals and color combos were? If the design has changed to be that way, I would like to say I still like the title side to be the front where the state is correctly laid out. I would not see any problem with balance if the tracking number and reference to geocaching.com were in the southern part of the state on the back. I promise this is my last post. Keep up the good work. I am still wanting whatever you come up with.

Hey Amber, talk all you want. That goes for everyone with something to ask to see or an idea to contribute. Better to speak up now and try to get something we like than to regrt keeping silent and thinking later that we would have liked it better "if only" --We'll never get it done a way that is perfect for everyone, but I think it's possible to have a lot of people like it if we talk it out.

d3522817-d6f6-464b-b264-a68ba3b8e331.jpg

As for me, I like the plain version much better than the version with the writing on it.

The one with the writing looks crowded to me, and "cheap"--the other one says it all with just the symbol.

I like the date better on the front---that just seems like where the date should be.

Edited by Neos2
<snip>

As for me, I like the plain version much better than the version with the writing on it.

The one with the writing looks crowded to me, and "cheap"--the other one says it all with just the symbol.

I like the date better on the front---that just seems like where the date should be.

I too like just the torch on the back with everything else on the front.

I will submit this to oak for final images. I think we're to the "final nitpick" stage, and we need to see oak's design and make suggestions to it.

I'll leave Indiana 2007 on the front. I was simply trying to show what that looked like since it was suggested.

Heres what i'm submitting (fixed borders):

Per request, fixed borders:

front2vt6.jpgnickelbacktr7.jpg

plainnickelgh3.jpgnickelbacktr7.jpg

goldnickelxe1.jpgflagback2ko7.jpg

plaingoldjl3.jpgflagback2ko7.jpg

Edited by dougsmiley

The first chance should be at an event in late june/early july, at which I should have the samples. Preordering should open about the same time, for 1 month, possibly extended a little if I feel sales are still very strong. I promise the coin by the end of the year, though.

Price is going to be $8 per trackable, $6 per resident non-trackable. This is as cheap as I can possibly go, while still supporting Indianageocaching.com. I calculated my cost per coin, shipped, down to the penny, which includes bubble mailers, labels, printer ink, etc. Indianageocaching.com should receive around $1 per coin.

I hope we can sell 1,000 of the trackables so we can snag the custom prefix. I'll try to advertise them better than last years were and sell them nationwide.

One thing I haven't decided, and I appreciate your input, is whether or not to limit quantities on the resident coin. On one hand, not limiting them gives residents a chance to buy some special coins for trading, but on the other, it makes it less of a special coin. With the die fees paid, theres no overhead on the resident coins. We just gotta sell 100.

Ohio did a state-shaped coin too. In fact they have the canals of Ohio on theirs so we can see what the raised Interstates might look like.

GCSOhioFront.jpgGCSOhioFront_01.jpg

The Alabama (2006) had raise rivers, that were 'filled' with blue enamel(?) as a sort of background, of course a lot of it is covered with the states flag, bird, flower, etc over it so you don't really notice it as much. But I'm not sure coloring the interstates gray? black? would look very attractive anyway :lol: .

You can see some pics HERE

(You can see a Mississippi 2006 here, but it doesn't have any rives, canals, or roads.)

I agree that it looks great... :lol:

...but what does it have to do with geocaching? :lol:

Um, the first geocache in the state is on it?

Did you have some other suggestion?

We are discussing this design? Correct?

No cache here. :(:D:angry:

Oh, these are variation of the back. Got it!

In that case either is good :blink:

Edited by Rupert2

One thing I haven't decided, and I appreciate your input, is whether or not to limit quantities on the resident coin. On one hand, not limiting them gives residents a chance to buy some special coins for trading, but on the other, it makes it less of a special coin. With the die fees paid, theres no overhead on the resident coins. We just gotta sell 100.

I don't understand about the value of trackable vs untrackable, etc.

Don't most coin collectors (i.e. the people who will want to trade) want trackable coins?

If so, does the fact that you have to be a resident to get the untrackable resident coin make them desirable? Or does it hurt trading that they are not trackable?

It doesn't matter to me as far as trading goes, since we hardly ever trade coins. When we get coins, we usually keep one for each of us, and use the rest to put in caches as swag or to use as gifts. I just happen to prefer the gold coins. I'd like to be able to buy as many of those as I like. I like the idea of them costing less, so I can buy more.

Can somone explain to me why my fellow Hoosiers might feel differently?

Doug,

One thing to remember is that people are going to find a way around this. I limited my coin to two per team, and had someone send me all false information, only so they could get two more to sell on ebay. Of course, I didn't realize it, until I saw them popping up on that site.

I think that either way, you are going to get people that don't like what you are doing. If you limit it, then some are going to felt left out. I would suggest just limiting it to 2 coins per Indiana team. If you end up with some extras, you can always open it back up on a first come/first serve basis.

hey,

I'm not sure what the consensus is, but i'm on the fence on whether the "Indiana 2007" text goes on the back...either way, i think it looks good.

i'm gonna give input here from a noobs perspective and say that i think it would be cool to have a limited edition coin. it seems that it would be more "special" if only 100 were made and distributed to residents or given as prizes or something. but then i don't get all the coin trading hooplah and etiquette, so if that doesn't make financial sense or is a pain the rear then i understand. personally i'll be happy with at least 2, but if i could have more to give as swag on future caching trips, that'd be great too!

but are all 4 of those metal combos theoretically going to be minted, or will there be only 2 choices?

and thanks for the moot history. i always wondered what was up with that word. interesting...

thanks, dtc

<snip>

and thanks for the moot history. i always wondered what was up with that word. interesting...

thanks, dtc

and I always thought Joey had it right!

moo point = a cow's opinion, it doesn't matter

Joey: All right, Rach. The big question is, "does he like you?" All right? Because if he doesn't like you, this is all a moo point.

Rachel: Huh. A moo point?

Joey: Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion. It just doesn't matter. It's moo.

I need to sell them. If I could afford to, I'd just buy them all and hand them out like candy. But I can't afford to do that.

2 will be available, one silver, one gold. It will probaly be the two toned ones, but I'm going to get samples of all of them if I can. That way we can see what it looks like in metal and make a final decision.

Trackable makes the coin worth more to icon collectors, but the icon would be the same as the trackable, so I don't see the draw of it. It also has the benefit of working like a travel bug. About $2.00 per trackable goes to Groundspeak. I can do the residents trackable if it's really demanded, they'd just be $8 like the regular ones.

Looking at the intial quote from Oak, these are costing nearly $5 each trackable. So, that makes the cost go up again, to $9 per trackable and $7 per non trackable.

The problem is, this quote is only good for one month. I'm worried the price will go up after the preordering, and I could lose alot of money.

I went ahead and sent an email to coinsandpins, to see what kind of quote they give me.

Also, the "Trackable at Geocaching.com" text CANNOT be raised, because it cannot be on the resident coin. I would think they will be able to do it in simple black enamel.

Edited by dougsmiley

My vote goes for nothing above number 2, MAYBE 3. If the back of the coin is smooth, I think we should keep it as close to uniform as we can on both sides. Also, with the raised highways, I think anything above those choices would take away from the "highways". I just think anything more would be too busy, and take away from what we are trying to showcase.

Oak just crushed coinsandpins cost, at $4.15 a trackable and $2.50 a non trackable! This is assuming 1,000 and 250 on the quantity.

I'm going to go ahead and do a 3rd die for $60 for the front of the resident coin. This allows us to raise the "trackable at geocaching.com" text on the front of the trackable.

Should be safe to assume $8 and $6 on the prices now. I need to verify what a lesser batch would cost, but I'm pretty sure that the Indianageocaching $1 would cover it if it were less quantity. That's a bet I'm willing to make. I just don't want to gamble any of my money, I hope you all can understand that.

I like Oak because they're giving us the samples for die cost +s&h. I think being able to show off the final product will help with sales of the coin.

I say 2 on the grit scale.

Hey guys,

Coin design looks great. If I rent some land in the Hoosier state can I get a resident coin??? :D

I've had word passed down to me that since the discussion has veered from the design to the commercial aspect that it will need to be taken to another forum. I'd suggest moving over to the IndianaGeocaching.com forum for that.

If Neos2 is satisfied that the design discussion is finished, I'd be glad to close it down. Otherwise we can keep it open but keep the discussion to design rather than merchants and pricing.

Coin guidelines posted here

Thanks,

Bret

I'd say dougsmiley is ready to go with this design, CyBret--thanks--but let's leave it open anyway for random comments. We'll behave ourselves, we promise!

Any "stray" thoughts can go on IndianaGeocaching.com. Since that is where ordering will happen anyway, folks will want to bookmark that site now, if they haven't already.

When it's time to talk about the sample and order, we'll want to let folks know on this thread.

Edited by Neos2

phew, sometimes things move so fast around here!

ok, i'm with the herd that 2 or 3 is a good texture for the background. i personally have no other opinions to state, other than where do i go for the rest of the discussion? :rolleyes: thanks for this process, it was fun to participate in, and i hope that people are happy with the coins when they are done. thanks,

d-town cachers

just leave this one open. We promise to stop talking companies. No need to clutter. We need to be able to talk about the coin artist's rendition.

When we get to later processes, it will move over to indianageocaching.com. That's where the preorders will take place. I will post in the geocoin forum here, selling the trackables, since that's allowed.

Hey guys,

Coin design looks great. If I rent some land in the Hoosier state can I get a resident coin??? :blink:

I've had word passed down to me that since the discussion has veered from the design to the commercial aspect that it will need to be taken to another forum. I'd suggest moving over to the IndianaGeocaching.com forum for that.

If Neos2 is satisfied that the design discussion is finished, I'd be glad to close it down. Otherwise we can keep it open but keep the discussion to design rather than merchants and pricing.

Coin guidelines posted here

Thanks,

Bret

I'll rent you some land Bret, how many acres do you need to qualify? :rolleyes:

Hey Dougsmiley,

I popped over into the indianageocaching forums tonight and read where you said that you changed the star at the top of the coin to an ammo can---can you post an image of what that looks like? Sounds intriguing.

You make any other changes?

Well, I'll post this here, since I can't post to the indianageocaching.com forums for some reason (Haven't been able to for well over a month now! Wonder why? It says I'm logged in --after I reenter my info a half a dozen times of more but it doesn't accept my posts. Weird).

ANYWAY, Folks, there is a version of the coin shown over at indianageocaching.com.

I wanted to ask Dougsmiley to post it over here, too, since more people will see it.

6n01037largexr3.jpg

Full size HERE

Comments, Suggestions?

Final quote is forcing the price up by $1 ea. Pricing is sure at $9 (trackable) and $7 (non trackable). This includes shipping, so the actual cost of the coins are about $7.50 and $5.50.

The question is, for an extra $1 per coin ($10 & $8), do we want it to be 1.75" instead of 1.5"? I think the 1.75" would look better in the state shape. These drawings are for a 1.75" coin, the 1.5" would look the same, except shrunk by .25".

Edited by dougsmiley

Well, I'll be the first to speak up, since I've done so much other "damage" in this thread! :lol:

I don't like the way the two metals look as it's shown here. I do like the way it will probably look when it's done --see post 89

I think the ammo box is "crowding" the writing that says "GC93 Indiana's First". It looks heavy there. Does that make sense?

If the ammo can is going to stay there, there needs to be more space between the ammo can and the numbers below it, and the numbers and the cache name need to be bolder.

To make more space and to make the words bolder, we'd have to gave it written in a column:

GC93

Indiana's

First

Edited by Neos2

I think the ammo box is "crowding" the writing that says "GC93 Indiana's First". It looks heavy there. Does that make sense?

If the ammo can is going to stay there, there needs to be more space between the ammo can and the numbers below it, and the numbers and the cache name need to be bolder.

To make more space and to make the words bolder, we'd have to gave it written in a column:

GC93

Indiana's

First

I 2nd that. I think the word your looking for is crowded.

What does everyone think about a solid metal coin rather than a two tone? I looked at some pictures of two tone coins today, and I really prefer the simplicity of a single tone coin. A quick photoshop of the artwork:

incoin2nj2.jpg

Give me comments, I don't know what you all would like to see unless you tell me.

I've already told Dougsmiley that I prefer the single color metal--it makes the difference between the gold and the nickel really stand out and it just looks sharper to me... but I just read yet another reason to go with one metal only on a coin (from one of the coin makers, giving advice on how to clean coins):

Be careful when cleaning two-tone finishes such as a coin that is polished gold and the text on the coin is plated in polished nickel. Two-tone finishes are comprised of a regular plating (or base metal depending on the manufacturer) and then have another thin coat of a different finish applied by hand over the first finish. This second coat of finish can easily wear off. It will require a soft touch to polish these finishes.

Edited by Neos2

I really like the gold-on-gold (or nickel-on-nickel). It's much less "busy" and has a cleaner look. Thanks for your work on this DougSmiley... the coin renderings look great so far.

I'd love to pick up a couple before the fall meet up. Any chance of cranking them out that quickly? What's the ETA at this point?

What does everyone think about a solid metal coin rather than a two tone? I looked at some pictures of two tone coins today, and I really prefer the simplicity of a single tone coin. A quick photoshop of the artwork:

incoin2nj2.jpg

Give me comments, I don't know what you all would like to see unless you tell me.

I agree with Neos2's comments. And I like these drawings the best!

Great job so far! I can't wait to get them.

Ok. Oak informed me I can do both single and two tone on the samples, so i'll go ahead and do that. I'll also have them make two in bronze, one for myself, and one to do something special with in the future.

If we are to do a competely single tone, the raised stars on the nickel back would be nickel as well.

We can stick with the two tone on the nickel coin back and make the stars gold. That is what was done last year.

I'm going to pay the die fees and order the samples towards the end of this week. last chance for suggestions. Heres the current rendering:

6n01037large2pe3.jpg

Heres the exact list of samples I am ordering. We will be able to see the variations between two tone and single tone on both sides this way:

1X Nickel (Two Toned with Gold Interstates & Letters, Two Tone back with Gold Stars)

1X Gold (Two Toned with Nickel Interstates & Letters, Gold Stars on Back)

1X Nickel (Single tone [Raised Nickel Interstates & Letters], Raised Nickel Stars on Back)

1X Gold (Single tone [Raised Gold Interstates & Letters], Raised Gold Stars on Back)

2X Copper (Single tone [Raised Copper Interstates & Letters], Raised Copper Stars on Back)