Garmin 60CSx geocache limit?

Hello,

I have a Garmin 60CSx and load caches through GSAK. I normally load about 20-30 caches and go out for the day. I'm leaving tomorrow on a 3 day R&R and will not have access to a computer. I wanted to load about 100 or so caches, however, my Garmin only holds 50 entries. Is there any way around this? Can I switch a setting somewhere or load them differently so that I can get all 100 or so on it?

Thanks in advance,

JRF61

If you decide to load a bunch of caches make sure you go into your unit and delete the old ones. If you don't you will get an error message when you exceed the 1000 total waypoints that your unit can hold. I know this from personal experience. It is better then the 60CS which I had previously. The CS would just quite loading new waypoints and not give you any warning.

If you decide to load a bunch of caches make sure you go into your unit and delete the old ones. If you don't you will get an error message when you exceed the 1000 total waypoints that your unit can hold. I know this from personal experience. It is better then the 60CS which I had previously. The CS would just quite loading new waypoints and not give you any warning.

Or, you can not load any waypoints and use POI's instead. The X's take as many POIs as you can fit on your memory card. I have over 2000, including 900 benchmarks. The beauty about POIs is you can fit 44 characters in the name and 88 characters in the description/hint field. GSAK comes in very handy for this feat so you don't have to do it by hand for each POI.

Or, you can not load any waypoints and use POI's instead. The X's take as many POIs as you can fit on your memory card. I have over 2000, including 900 benchmarks. The beauty about POIs is you can fit 44 characters in the name and 88 characters in the description/hint field. GSAK comes in very handy for this feat so you don't have to do it by hand for each POI.

I have been trying to upload a large number (about 2'000) waypoints using POI Loader. I'm in the stupid position that I don't know if it worked, because I can't read the microSD card on my 60CSx from my PC. I'm connected to the GPS, which is drawing power, but I can't access any folders or the card.

Can anyone help?

You'll know if it woked by viewing your Custom POIs which is accessed from your Find screen - hit menu twice, then Custom Points of Interest.

To view your micro card on your desktop, go to Main Menu-Setup-Interface-USB Mass Storage. This is the procedure for my Venture Cx; your mileage may vary. The file will be named poi.gpi .

The procedure is to put the csv or gpx file with th POIs all into one particular folder on your computer. Each separate file will create a separate subcategory in the GPS when the POILoader runs. If you create nifty icons then you can name these with the same names but .bmp as the extension and the POILoader will set this icons up as the icons on the map.

To see if Icons loaded properly, press Find and go to the last icon in the Find screen. That will be “Custom Points of Interest”; select it. If you have several categories then you will get the opportunity to select the one you want. If you only have one POI file, then it is displayed.

Just got my 60CSX, I figured out how to do custom POI but can't get it to sub catagory and is there any way to get more than one POI on the map screen at once?

To get different categories of Custom POI save each category of Custom POI with it's own name as a gpx file (eg. boatramps.gpx) in the folder you use POI Loader to load from. And then save a separate icon for each category as a .bmp file (e.g. boatramps.bmp) in that same folder -- Note, the names have to match except for the extensions. To create the bmp icon you can use your own creativity in MS Paint- just make the icon 16x16 pixels.

To select a particular category: Press FIND>Custom POI>MENU>Select Database.

For more info go see Sam Penrod's excellent article: http://www.gpsinformation.org/penrod/poilo.../poiloader.html

I am getting ready to purchase a Garmin CXS or CX can anyone help me with the better of the two or the pros/cons. I would like my GPS do be able to do the following: Street Maps - step by step directions ; I want to be able to mark my Geocache find and be able to view it when I get home to log on my computer.

Does either one of these GPS's allow you to store the last three logs of the cache and the "Clue"

I am really new to this stuff so any help would be great1