NGS site is out of service!

AZcachemeister

I usually log my recoveries with the NGS at the same time as I log at GC.com, but I was not able to open the MARK RECOVERY ENTRY page just now:

System Outage Planned

A major reconfiguration of the NGS Unix System network will take place on the weekend of May 19 & 20. This reconfiguration is required to comply with Federal security standards. The work is mandatory and cannot be postponed. This will result in outages of the NGS web server, FTP server, database and data collection systems. We are making every effort to minimize the disruption but cannot guarantee full service over the weekend. Due to the extent of the change, there may be irregularities in service on the days following the weekend.

CORS data will be available through the NGS parallel facility in Boulder: http://wwwest.ngs.noaa.gov. While data from all sites may not be available, national coverage should be complete. The OPUS, UFCORS, data sheet services will not be available however. If you have questions you may contact NGS at: ngs.webmaster@noaa.gov

I recall that there were recent inquiries about changes we would like to see on their site, I wonder if there are any real changes in store?

I usually log my recoveries with the NGS at the same time as I log at GC.com, but I was not able to open the MARK RECOVERY ENTRY page just now:

System Outage Planned

A major reconfiguration of the NGS Unix System network will take place on the weekend of May 19 & 20. This reconfiguration is required to comply with Federal security standards. The work is mandatory and cannot be postponed. This will result in outages of the NGS web server, FTP server, database and data collection systems. We are making every effort to minimize the disruption but cannot guarantee full service over the weekend. Due to the extent of the change, there may be irregularities in service on the days following the weekend.

CORS data will be available through the NGS parallel facility in Boulder: http://wwwest.ngs.noaa.gov. While data from all sites may not be available, national coverage should be complete. The OPUS, UFCORS, data sheet services will not be available however. If you have questions you may contact NGS at: ngs.webmaster@noaa.gov

I recall that there were recent inquiries about changes we would like to see on their site, I wonder if there are any real changes in store?

Doesn't sound like any content change at all. I would imagine that installing security patches or whatever they are doing, is probably the worst time to do changes to the interface or other things that would be of interest to end users.

-ArtMan-

... This reconfiguration is required to comply with Federal security standards....

I think this is the key phrase in the announcement. I would agree with Artman that there won't be any outward sysem changes at this time.

Dang! Are they going to take away the screwdrive that I use for a probe? And my pocket knife? :D

They're not getting my probing device. Or, maybe they're doing this because I lost two recently and left them near the bench marks...too dangerous??

... This reconfiguration is required to comply with Federal security standards....

I think this is the key phrase in the announcement. I would agree with Artman that there won't be any outward sysem changes at this time.

Dang! Are they going to take away the screwdrive that I use for a probe? And my pocket knife? :D

8:00 p.m. EDT and I'm still getting getting an error message on the recovery report form. After I click through the "Satellite Usage" screen I get a blank page with the statement, "Cannot create recovery file: No such file or directory."

NGS said in advance of this past weekend's work, "Due to the extent of the change, there may be irregularities in service on the days following the weekend." So I guess we've been warned.

-ArtMan-

I emailed Deb Brown yesterday (5/22) about the "Cannot create recovery file: No such file or directory" error message. Here is the reply I received from her this morning:

I believe this is due to the scheduled network maintenance that went on over the weekend. There have been a few problems getting all systems back online and I think this is one of them. Please give it a couple of days and try again. If the problem persists, please let me know.

CS