Caches on Alcatraz?

:P

Allright, I am SURE that there are some caches placed on Alcatraz, but I just can't find them. Is there a local cacher or someone from the Bay Area group that could direct me to some GC#'s? We're due to go to SF in two weeks and I wanted to put together a list of caches that we could do while there.

Thanks for your assistance.

The only active cache listed for Alcatraz is the popular Escape From Alcatraz virtual.

The fact that there are no physical caches listed for the island doesn't mean that there hasn't been a puzzle cache or the final stage of a multi placed there, but the fact that Alcatraz Island is under the control of the National Park service seems to rule out such a possibility.

Hopefully a local will check in and provide the definitive answer.

edit: or maybe Keystone will stop by with an answer. :P

Edited by cache_test_dummies

Alcatraz Island is part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. It's administered by the National Park Service which does not allow caches on its property. There might be a virt or two, but no physical container are should be there.

Does the man in the lab coat ever take any time off? :P

Edited by wimseyguy

If you're going to be visiting our lovely area, you can maybe take a day and go to Angel Island. I know lots of people who have gone there and looked for geocaches, and there are so many, you couldn't get them all in one visit! Perhaps a nice alternative to Alcatraz? Besides, the Bay Area is RICH with caches (read: rather cache-dense), so anywhere you might be going will have a lot for you to look for.

Go ahead and visit thegba.net and ask around there about specific places you'll be visiting (other than Alcatraz, apparently) . . . the GBA folks (myself included) are very friendly, welcoming, and helpful

One other thing, if you are planning on taking the ferry to Alcatraz, be sure to buy your tickets at least 2 days in advance (or more if you can). We had to skip visiting the island when we were in town last summer since we didn't know the tours were booked solid.

Good advice. You might want to make them even earlier. We went last August. We made reservations about 3 weeks early and when we were waiting for the ferry we heard that there was a 3-4 day waiting list.

We did Escape from Alcatraz and it lengthened our stay on the island, but it was a lot of fun and enhanced our knowledge of the area. We go paperless normally, but the printout of this cache came in handy.

Have a fun trip.

If you're going to be visiting our lovely area, you can maybe take a day and go to Angel Island. I know lots of people who have gone there and looked for geocaches, and there are so many, you couldn't get them all in one visit! Perhaps a nice alternative to Alcatraz? Besides, the Bay Area is RICH with caches (read: rather cache-dense), so anywhere you might be going will have a lot for you to look for.

Go ahead and visit thegba.net and ask around there about specific places you'll be visiting (other than Alcatraz, apparently) . . . the GBA folks (myself included) are very friendly, welcoming, and helpful

That was going to be my reply as well. There are so many caches on Angel Island (State Park) that you almost can't see the island on the map. By taking the perimeter road you can easily rack up a dozen, and then there's the rest of the island. It would take two or three days to find them all.

As for Alcatraz, maybe switch gears a little and find a couple of Benchmarks.

Escape from alcatraz was my 2000th cache find, and a very worthwhile one. It takes a good part of the day, but it's well worth it. I still have the certificate somewhere...

Visit thegba.net and ask for more recommendations in the San Francisco forum.