Pine Barrens Fire

edscott

Anyone know exactly where the fire this week near the Ocean / Burlington county line was? I can't find a map showing the area burned and wonder if a local paper might have shown what areas were involved.. or more specifically what caches may be now be gone. The fire covered 27 square miles thus could have involved a bunch of caches.

I'm kind of familiar with the area (I work in NJ), but haven't been able to find out specific info myself.

This is the best I've found, the blog includes a Google map, and some awesome pics.

http://www.pineypower.com/fire/fire.htm

I was just caching near here a few weeks ago. For those not familiar with the area, the pine needles build up thick. Where I was caches were hidden under the pine needles that are scattered about the forest floor. In places, where they are sheltered from snow cover they can be 4-8 inches thick.

I believe no caches were in the fire area althoughScrub Pine Review GCGVW3 is near the bombing range. Ironically, Scrub Pine Review is in a previously burned area.

Caching in this region is unique. I found several caches and NONE of them were under rocks, in crevices or or attached to light posts or guard rails. This made it difficult for me.

We live near this area and have family that live even closer, they were evacuated.

Looking at a map, the area just west of Rt. 532, south of Rt. 72 and west of the GSP is the area that burned. The fire started just west of Rt. 532 and the winds brought it across 532, but Mother Nature and the Firefighters were able to contain it before it jump Rt. 72 or GSP, but it came right up to those two roads, from what I have read and been told by people on the scene.

As far as I can see, the Scrub Pine Review cache was the only one in the area of the fire. One of our local cachers who is a firefighter and was working on that fire said they found one tupperware container that was melted, probably that cache, but not positive.

Edited by Teamcoz