Help Me Please

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend and Mapsource and when I try to upload one or several Mapsource maps it gets rid of the factory basemap. I thought it just replaced the area of the basemap which I was uploading. Also, in my unit, I cannot go to each indivudual map and turn it on or off, which I think you should be able to do.

So my questions are:

What do I have to do to get the factory basemap back? (hard reset, upload, etc)

How many Mapsource maps will the Legend accept? I know it is an 8 MB unit but how many of the Mapsource maps is that?

I appreciate any and all comments. I am taking a trip to Florida next week and would really like to have it with me. I don't know if I am going to run into closed roads due to the wildfires and I would like to have it with me to help navigate. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

DG

> I have a Garmin eTrex Legend and Mapsource and when I try to upload one or several Mapsource maps

> it gets rid of the factory basemap.

No, it hides the basemap.

> Also, in my unit, I cannot go to each indivudual map and turn it on or off, which I think you should be able to do.

It depends on what you mean by "map". I suspect you mean "maptile", the unit in a given mapset you select and deselect in MapSource. You can hide a given mapset, but not individual tiles in a mapset.

> What do I have to do to get the factory basemap back? (hard reset, upload, etc)

It's not gone. You "erase" the maps you uploaded, or hide them.

> How many Mapsource maps will the Legend accept? I know it is an 8 MB unit but how many of the Mapsource maps is that?

That question has no meaningful answer.

If you mean "how many maptiles from a given mapset can I upload", the answer is 8mb worth. The actual number will vary by the filesize of the maptiles. MapSource will do the math for you as you select tiles.

> I have a Garmin eTrex Legend and Mapsource and when I try to upload one or several Mapsource maps

> it gets rid of the factory basemap.

No, it hides the basemap.

But would it not just hide the basemap under the maptile that I uploaded leaving the rest of the basemap showing?

> What do I have to do to get the factory basemap back? (hard reset, upload, etc)

It's not gone. You "erase" the maps you uploaded, or hide them.

Even if I tell it to "SHOW NONE" there is still no factory map showing up. I tried to upload a empty maptile, but Mapsource wouldn't let me upload nothing.

Sorry if all of this sounds petty but I am just trying to make sure I don't have something wrong with my unit.

Thanks for the reply.

On my old blue Legend the basemap is only obscured in areas where I have City Select Maps loaded and activated. In other areas the basemap is visible. So you are right; there is something wrong with your situation.

Which mapset are you loading with Mapsource?

If all else fails, try reinstalling the firmware.

Edited by Hynr

Sounds like to me you might have your unit zoomed in to far to see any map detail. Definately zoom out and see if any of the basemap shows. Or somehow your position is "stuck" somewhere else on the map. In that case a reset should help.

You can't delete the basemap on the Legend, or any of the mapping units from Garmin. Loading maps onto a mapping unit simply shows the loaded map rather than the basemap.

You didn't specify what map product you are trying to load on your Legend. Now if you loaded a product like BlueChart then you might not see any streets or things. You probably want to use MetroGuide maps

I still have my old Legend and I still like it. I have loaded MetroGuide North America 7 maps on it. Whenver I drive out of the coverage I have loaded onto my Legend I simply see "overzoom" instead of "mapsource" on the bottom of the screen.

Now the Legend only has 8MB of storage for maps. There is no way to tell you how many maps you can load onto a Legend. MetroGuide NA 7 uses "chunks" for maps. What that means in that where I am in Indiana most of Indianapolis is in 4 map chunks. I can get several more map chunks into my Legend before the 8MB is filled up. I have all of central Indiana, a good portion of southern Indiana and Louisville KY. That's a lot of map for 8MB.

There is a way to turn off loaded maps on your Legend. You have to hide/unhide maps loaded onto your Legend on the device itself not in the MapSource viewer. MapSource is only the program that shows maps you can load. It can also tell you what maps are on your Legend and how much space they take up.

To hide/unhide a map already loaded on your Legend do this. When you are on the map screen use your click stick to go to the icon to the left of the big X. Push the click stick in, scroll down to Setup Map, push the click stick in. The icons under Map Setup should have the little "i" at the far right already highlighted. Scroll down from there and if you have maps loaded you should see the name of the map chunk, and a little checkbox next to "show". If you uncheck these maps you'll see your basemap when you get out of the menu system.

You also mentioned going to Florida. If you are loading Florida maps on your Legend and you are in say, for example, Colorado, you won't see the Florida maps on your Legend unless you manually move your position on the map on your Legend into the areas of Florida you have loaded.

When in MapSource if the maps are loaded properly you will see them in a reddish lighlight when you push "recieve from device" in MapSource. I haven't had to reload maps in my old Legend for a while so I cant recall exactly how that looks.

ok since you all seem so helpful, i wonder if you can help me i have a legend, my dh got me a copy of roads and recreation europe, i downloaded my maps only to find that it is not compatable with my legend. unfortunatly it has wiped my basemap of details like roads and rivers. it still has the outline of countries and london is marked but nothing else. help

chris

Either hide the maps like I explained above or do a hard reset of your eTrex Legend.

WARNING: A hard reset will erase all maps you uploaded and all waypoints you have. You do this at your own risk. It will NOT delete your basemap. There is no way you can delete the basemap!!!

Hard reset: With your eTrex off hold the page key on the right side, push the click stick in AND push the power button all at the same time. Your Legend will power up and say "Do you really want to erase all user data?" If you do then select yes and push the click stick in. Your Legend is now resest. I just did this to mine so it works. If you don't see that question you didn't hold the keys in right. After a reset you should elave your Legend outside with a clear view of the sky for 30 minutes so it can get data from the satellites.

When my Legend came around I switched to the map screen and saw a nice lovely outline of the United States. The GPS location was set to the Garmin corporate headquarters in Kansas.

Piggletfamily, your unit will probably show you a nice outline of Europe or whatever county your Legend was originally from.

Edited by Tersanyus