Capetown

Windsocker

Hi Guys,

I'll be going to Cape town this winter with a guided tour group. Our first hotel is the holiday Inn I'm wondering if you could tell me of a few easy caches nearby as I won't have much time to cache but would like to get South Africa on my map. :P

Also is there any do's and don't while there :)

Edited by The Windsockers

Hi Windsockers

Enjoy the Cape, it is a beautiful place. The guys down in Cape Town will surely answer your request soon.

My advice to you would be

i) Please do not go out at night on your own, or for that matter during the day, travel in a group with a responsible local guide that knows the Hot Spots (crime areas). Your guide will enjoy to be introduced to Geocaching.

ii) Beware of the baboons in the National Parks areas like Cape Point. Do not feed them, do not call their attention, keep your vehicle windows closed. They may be beggers but they still have fangs that could seriously hurt you.

On a more positive note I would suggest a visit to "Groot Constantia" for the museum and the winery. At "Klein Constantia" winery they sell a special Noble Rot wine "Vin de Constance " - not Sauternes "Chateau d'Yquem" but very interesting and a beauty of a bottle!

Still enjoy your visit and please report to us your experiences.

Yours sincerely

LeonW :P

Edited by LeonW

Hi Windsockers

Enjoy the Cape, it is a beautiful place. The guys down in Cape Town will surely answer your request soon.

My advice to you would be

i) Please do not go out at night on your own, or for that matter during the day, travel in a group with a responsible local guide that knows the Hot Spots (crime areas). Your guide will enjoy to be introduced to Geocaching.

ii) Beware of the baboons in the National Parks areas like Cape Point. Do not feed them, do not call their attention, keep your vehicle windows closed. They may be beggers but they still have fangs that could seriously hurt you.

On a more positive note I would suggest a visit to "Groot Constantia" for the museum and the winery. At "Klein Constantia" winery they sell a special Noble Rot wine "Vin de Constance " - not Sauternes

"Chateau d'Yquem" but very interesting and a beauty of a bottle!

Still enjoy your visit and please report to us your experiences.

Yours sincerely

LeonW :P

Some precautions are needed indeed, but at least the caches in the Cape don't need to be protected by burgler bars and electric wires as in Gauteng were they are been muggled even at the most remote spot. Enjoy your hunting and as LeonW asks, report your experiences in this forum.

Greetings from Cache Fan

Hi Windsockers!

We look forward to welcoming you to our wonderful part of the world - the Western Cape is truly magnificent and there are lots of caches to be found. There are also a number of Holiday Inns in the Cape Town area - please send us an exact address and your itinerary for the area and we will try our best to point you towards some caches close by.

If your tour is taking you to Stellenbosch and the wine route, there are numerous caches to be found right there and Franschhoek also has lots to offer.

Yes, South Africa does have a crime problem, but if you are careful and don't walk around flashing jewellery and such likes, you really should be fine and have a most amazing holiday, even in the middle of winter!

Regards,

Tricky Vicky & Mickey

Thanks everybody for your replies I don't have a full itenery at the moment but part of the tour will include Stellenbosch and the wine route and a stay at the start and finish of the trip in Cape Town.

Hopefully in the coming months I'll have more of an idea of were the tour will visit.

Regards

Steve

Sent you an email with a couple cache suggestions in it.

We in the cape have also been known to meet visitors for breakfast or a drink somewhere. If you care to meet some southern cachers, perhaps an event can be organized with you? :)

What month are you exploring our shores?