(ODS) The One Degree of Separation Project

First, I will say that the reports made have not gone unheard, and are being dealt with off line.

Second, this thread needs to get back on course.

If there is no more to discuss, then we can close it.

Thank you.

Please don't get this thread closed.

I welcome the differing views on the project and you never know.... Maybe I can address something in phase 2 that is presented here.

I'm gonna be very disappointed if it's closed when I return.

WooooHooooo 16 hours to go!!!! See you at GW5! :(

Back on course. Here are my negative comments. Yes, I actually have several positives too. :anicute:

1. First reaction when I first heard of it a few months ago? Who cares? Who would even come up with such a thing? Really, that was my first reaction, total apathy. The whole thing just sounds too complex for me. Yes, I'm very familiar with the whole Kevin Bacon game.

2. I'm in total agreement with CR#1 (Coyote Red). I don't see how this is going to deliver the one degree in the first place. But I know you've promised to address this.

3. I'm in total agreement with CR#2 (Clan Riffster). Inferior containers were used. You've addressed this, but not to his satisfaction, I'm sure. :( BTW, the last log says Houston Control has a cracked lid. (Nearest ODS cache to my home coords)

4. I don't like the naming system and cache description template. Having a cache in the Royal Botanical Gardens in Hamilton Ontario, and having it "forced" to be named ODS One Degree Houston Control, It's just bizarre, and I don't get it. I also feel the forced naming system, and forced template stifles and even discourages individual creativity. There is no information in this cache description about where this cache is located at all!! I had to research it on my own. It's seems (from the dozens of ODS caches I looked at) not only the seeds, but the seed pods are being thrown out with little or no information about the location, not unlike a LPC in the Mall parking lot with a 5 word cache description: "Another Park and Grab, BYOP"

5. Related to point 1, I think the whole thing is too complex, and goes right over the head of the average Joe Schmuck who grabs a seed. I'm not talking about the teeny percentage of cachers who hang out here, or the small percentage of active, fanatical cachers. Houston Control has 54 finders, at least 18 have said they've taken a seed (and more probably have), but only one was ever placed: One Degree (LordFishman). And I've also noticed (in the ODS Prime find log, posted June 28th, 2006) the whole concept of the Seed Pod appears to originally have gone over the head of the placer of Houston Control, and they had to be corrected by ODS Prime.

You say in the forced template "If even half of the nearly 13,000 caches originally released on 5/26/2006 get placed as a geocache, no geocacher in the entire world (with even 1 find) should be able to go much beyond 3 degrees of separation from every other geocacher in the world". But only about 5.4 % of the 13,000 have been placed. I have to think this is nowhere near as successful as you planned. Am I correct? Are you somewhat disappointed? I'm not piling on with that comment, it's that some of my premises are based on it; namely I think there's apathy out there, and it's too complex of a concept and chore to write up for many of the average Joe seed holders out there.

Can somebody point me towards the enemy list? :(

My opinion, since it was asked for in the OP:

I don't like the spirit of this project. It reeks of advertising one's self and the need for ego stroking. It seems to have less to do with caching, and more to do with "look at me, look at me."

If somebody wants to hide a new cache, let that somebody go find a good location and then go find a good container to match that location. THAT is how I roll.

Cache on everybody, with your own containers! :anicute:

Can somebody point me towards the enemy list? :anicute:

I don't like the spirit of this project. It reeks of advertising one's self and the need for ego stroking. It seems to have less to do with caching, and more to do with "look at me, look at me."

If somebody wants to hide a new cache, let that somebody go find a good location and then go find a good container to match that location. THAT is how I roll.

SPOT ON!!!! I believe that's what many of us believe. :(

4. I don't like the naming system and cache description template. Having a cache in the Royal Botanical Gardens in Hamilton Ontario, and having it "forced" to be named ODS One Degree Houston Control, It's just bizarre, and I don't get it. I also feel the forced naming system, and forced template stifles and even discourages individual creativity. There is no information in this cache description about where this cache is located at all!! I had to research it on my own. It's seems (from the dozens of ODS caches I looked at) not only the seeds, but the seed pods are being thrown out with little or no information about the location, not unlike a LPC in the Mall parking lot with a 5 word cache description: "Another Park and Grab, BYOP"

5. Related to point 1, I think the whole thing is too complex, and goes right over the head of the average Joe Schmuck who grabs a seed. I'm not talking about the teeny percentage of cachers who hang out here, or the small percentage of active, fanatical cachers. Houston Control has 54 finders, at least 18 have said they've taken a seed (and more probably have), but only one was ever placed: One Degree (LordFishman). And I've also noticed (in the ODS Prime find log, posted June 28th, 2006) the whole concept of the Seed Pod appears to originally have gone over the head of the placer of Houston Control, and they had to be corrected by ODS Prime.

You say in the forced template "If even half of the nearly 13,000 caches originally released on 5/26/2006 get placed as a geocache, no geocacher in the entire world (with even 1 find) should be able to go much beyond 3 degrees of separation from every other geocacher in the world". But only about 5.4 % of the 13,000 have been placed. I have to think this is nowhere near as successful as you planned. Am I correct? Are you somewhat disappointed? I'm not piling on with that comment, it's that some of my premises are based on it; namely I think there's apathy out there, and it's too complex of a concept and chore to write up for many of the average Joe seed holders out there.

Thank you for taking the time and organizing your thoughts. I appreciate that. I only have time to address one thing. I will get back to your post when I address CR's point next week.

You used the strongest language possible to describe the template and the titles in error. It was suggested, not forced upon participants. There are many ODS caches that only use part or none of the template. Hiders are free to add or subtract or change whatever they wish. If they didn't add parking info or whatever else it takes to float your boat, that's not an issue against the project. You should take that up with the hider.

I asked for the hiders to include ODS or One Degree somewhere in the title so I could easily search them out to include them in the project stats. There are a very few that don't contain those words in the title.

How can I force ANYTHING from where I sit? People CHOSE to participate.

There is no information in this cache description about where this cache is located at all!! I had to research it on my own.

This part made me smile. It proves my assertion that people's sense of entitlement and expectation far exceed their ability to take responsibility for their own choices when hunting caches.

I'm reminded of the last verse in the Blues Brothers song, Rubber Biscuit. :(

Here's a positive to accentuate. It was a friend request ODS: Prime! just received:

Hi Snoogans!

We have enjoyed the ODS caches that we have found. Micros can be fun when they have a meaning and theme and we have been looking for a seed pod for months now without luck. Wanted to place one in (snip) for you!!! Almost had one in Louisiana a few months ago but it was missing.

Later!

Thanks guys. That made me smile. :(

HEAR HEAR! I totally agree!

Snoogans, please turn off, or remove, the mind control device you've inserted into these caches that forces people to take a seed cache container and hide them as new caches. We don't roll that way and would appreciate you not making us hide these crazy things.

Jeremy, please remove the guideline that Snoogans made you add to the site that requires folks to hide one of these ODS containers in places that we'd rather hide something else. We don't roll that way.

If we weren't forced to play along with this aspect of the game, then maybe only those that do enjoy it would play, and the rest of us could continue to geocache the way we enjoyed it before.

HEAR HEAR! I totally agree!

Snoogans, please turn off, or remove, the mind control device you've inserted into these caches that forces people to take a seed cache container and hide them as new caches. We don't roll that way and would appreciate you not making us hide these crazy things.

Jeremy, please remove the guideline that Snoogans made you add to the site that requires folks to hide one of these ODS containers in places that we'd rather hide something else. We don't roll that way.

If we weren't forced to play along with this aspect of the game, then maybe only those that do enjoy it would play, and the rest of us could continue to geocache the way we enjoyed it before.

I agree...How Mushtang rolls is how I roll yo.

:anicute::(:anicute:

Sorry...I just couldn't resist.We now returm you to your regularly scheduled Snoogans vs. everyone thread.

Edited by vtmtnman

Do you now care eagle dude? :unsure:

ODS: Prime: What's the big deal???? Frankly, who cares????

Knowing the word of mouth on you from your local community and experiencing it confirmed first hand not too very long ago, I would welcome your well researched and eloquently delivered critique of the project. Living where you live, without even checking, I'm almost certain you would have first hand experience of ODS to accentuate the negative about. It's what you're known best for. :anibad:

Edited by Snoogans

I realize that it seems stupid to commend someone on a good post and can even appear as if you are somehow 'looking down' on the poster. That is not my intent. I think this is a great, well-reasoned post:

Back on course. Here are my negative comments. Yes, I actually have several positives too. :(

1. First reaction when I first heard of it a few months ago? Who cares? Who would even come up with such a thing? Really, that was my first reaction, total apathy. The whole thing just sounds too complex for me. Yes, I'm very familiar with the whole Kevin Bacon game.

Me, too. I really didn't think much of it. That's not to say that I had a negative impression. It's just that I didn't really care, one way or the other.

Honestly, there was a time prior to my accident that a little voice in my head whould have yelled 'Great. Here come some lame micros.' We've all experinced those horrid seed caches that require that a cache be hidden in order to claim a find on the pod. These just create 'throw-away' caches, in my opinion. However, the difference between Snoogans' ODS pods and the seed caches that I hate is that the ODS pods don't require that a finder place a cache in order to claim a find on the pod. That's good enough for me. Well, that and the fact that I have greatly modified my position on the micro cache issue over the last three years.

2. I'm in total agreement with CR#1 (Coyote Red). I don't see how this is going to deliver the one degree in the first place. But I know you've promised to address this.
Remember those old threads where we would try to figure out how many degrees we were from Jeremy or Markwell or whoever? There was always some disagreement in what constituted 'one degree'. This is no different.

I wonder if CR1 would be happier if Snoogans called the project 'The Two Degree of Separation Project'. :anicute: Either way, I don't think that he is trying to prove any real science, here. It's just a fun project.

3. I'm in total agreement with CR#2 (Clan Riffster). Inferior containers were used. You've addressed this, but not to his satisfaction, I'm sure. :anicute: BTW, the last log says Houston Control has a cracked lid. (Nearest ODS cache to my home coords)
Hopefully, the cache owner will give that one a little maintenance. (Of course, if it were mine, I might consider placing the log in a weather resistant container within the coffee container and simply poking a couple holes in the bottom of the coffee container so it won't turn into mosquito soup. After all, who cares if the micros get wet, as long as they don't have to tread water.
Snoogans already addressed this issue, but am I the only one reminded of the fact that many of the very oldest caches were named 'Geocache' and had a description that merely listed the original contents. (I wonder if we still listed the original contents in the cache description if it would help people remember to trade fairly, but that's a different thread.)
I'm not sure that the concept needs to be fully understood by all finders. At the end of the day, all that really needs to be done is that people treat these like they would any other cache. It seems that if we were to get all sciency about this, we would actually want to hide the point of the project from people so that knowledge didn't change their behavior. I doubt that anyone ever took it that seriously, however.

Early in the thread, I'm pretty sure that Snoogans explained that he had hoped that ten percent would be placed. (I may be wrong about the percentage or that he even made any related statement or that any of the people in my computer are even real.) Given that the project is ongoing, who's to say that it won't hit ten percent at some future date. Edited by sbell111

Do you now care eagle dude? :unsure:

Knowing the word of mouth on you from your local community and experiencing it confirmed first hand not too very long ago, I would welcome your well researched and eloquently delivered critique of the project. Living where you live, without even checking, I'm almost certain you would have first hand experience of ODS to accentuate the negative about. It's what you're known best for. :anibad:

First, I don't really care about ODS:Prime and/or the concept. BTJMO.

Second, I thought MountainMudbug's comments were spot on. No need to say anything else!!!

Third, I can't provide you with a "well researched and eloquently delivered critque" of your ODS:Prime caches because I believe I only sought out one of them, but I'm sure you'll tell me if I've found more. Now the one I found was pretty unspectacular as to how it was hidden, the coords were so-so, and it was hidden on private property without the permission of the owner. I'm not blaming you for how the cache was hidden.

I sought out this cache to see what all the "noise" was about. What I found was something that resembled a "caching chain mail" note.

Fourth, I did take a seed container, but I can proudly say that I never "planted" it. It still resides in my center console.

Fifth, I'm amazed out how many folks I've never met, know about me!!! But then again, I shouldn't be surprized since I've really ticked off some "caching phenoms" in Texas by commenting on their "unusual caching practices." I guess if you plan to comment on something, you should plan for some "blowback."

Now does that answer your questions, Micro-Maximus???

Can somebody point me towards the enemy list? :unsure:

Do you now care eagle dude? :anibad:

Knowing the word of mouth on you from your local community and experiencing it confirmed first hand not too very long ago, I would welcome your well researched and eloquently delivered critique of the project. Living where you live, without even checking, I'm almost certain you would have first hand experience of ODS to accentuate the negative about. It's what you're known best for. :ph34r:

First, I don't really care about ODS:Prime and/or the concept. BTJMO.

Second, I thought MountainMudbug's comments were spot on. No need to say anything else!!!

Third, I can't provide you with a "well researched and eloquently delivered critque" of your ODS:Prime caches because I believe I only sought out one of them, but I'm sure you'll tell me if I've found more. Now the one I found was pretty unspectacular as to how it was hidden, the coords were so-so, and it was hidden on private property without the permission of the owner. I'm not blaming you for how the cache was hidden.

I sought out this cache to see what all the "noise" was about. What I found was something that resembled a "caching chain mail" note.

Fourth, I did take a seed container, but I can proudly say that I never "planted" it. It still resides in my center console.

Fifth, I'm amazed out how many folks I've never met, know about me!!! But then again, I shouldn't be surprized since I've really ticked off some "caching phenoms" in Texas by commenting on their "unusual caching practices." I guess if you plan to comment on something, you should plan for some "blowback."

Now does that answer your questions, Micro-Maximus???

Yes. Thank you. BTW- I love the moniker. I think I'll make it my forum title. :anicute:

Micro-Maximus???

Is that an Oxy moron?

HEY! I resemble that remark. :anicute:

Why, yes you do!!!!! :(:anicute::unsure:

I'm going to have endless fun at GW5 taking the superhero pose and proclaiming, "They call me (dramatic pause)... Micro-MAXIMUS!!! :anibad:

Edited by Snoogans
Micro-Maximus???

Is that an Oxy moron?
Why, yes you do!!!!! :anicute::unsure::(
That is funny! :anibad:

I can remember back in 3rd grade that nobody would ever dare use self deprecating humor because of the 3rd grade responses.

"Yes, I'm a moron"

"You sure are! HAHAHAHA"

"He called himself a moron, I can't believe it!"

"OMG, he actually admits it! HAHAHAHAHAHA"

"Yes, you are. HAHAHAHAHAHA"

"That is SO funny. You're a moron."

Micro-Maximus???

Is that an Oxy moron?
Why, yes you do!!!!! :anicute::unsure::(
That is funny! :anibad:

I can remember back in 3rd grade that nobody would ever dare use self deprecating humor because of the 3rd grade responses.

"Yes, I'm a moron"

"You sure are! HAHAHAHA"

It's a good thing we're all mature.

Micro-Maximus???

Is that an Oxy moron?
Why, yes you do!!!!! :anicute::(:anibad:
That is funny! :ph34r:

"Yes, I'm a moron"

"You sure are! HAHAHAHA"

:ph34r::lol::unsure:

Okay, let's get back on track before MM closes the thread.

I challenge the detractors to say one good thing about the ODS project and divest themselves of attacking the teflon coated ego of the "moron" who started it.

For my part, I will try to acknowledge some of the negatives when I return from GW5.

Edited by Snoogans

I challenge the detractors to say one good thing about the ODS project and divest themselves of attacking the teflon coated ego of the "moron" who started it.

For my part, I will try to acknowledge some of the negatives when I return from GW5.

Okay, the ODS cache that I found increased my "found" count by one!!! I guess that's positive!!! :(

Wow, the egos in this thread (not naming names) has gone from "big" to "epic proportions".

I thought that already happened last week, when in another thread, he stated that his time is worth $100 an hour. I guess a few hundred dollars was wasted investigating the profiles of several posters to this thread to see whether or not they have personally found an ODiouS cache. Not naming names, of course. :(

Do you have a comment on the project or was it just a personal shot while you thought I was on the road and unable to respond? :anicute:

I'm assuming that your response was to WU, not me as my comment was a broad generalization of the posters in this thread and not directed towards any one individual.

I just just checked in to make sure I was quoted out of context. My opinions were stated in my post, so I'm off to find a thread that interests me a bit more.

I will need to recycle one and add another one.

1. Unlike other film canister hides, it is really possible to filter these hides out. This is NOT a slam and I am sincere in the ability to identify these caches before seeking them is real benefit to those who do not like film canister hides.

2. This thread has established a place where someone who is thinking about launching a similar project can go and get a general sampling of how people feel about this project.

I will need to recycle one and add another one.

1. Unlike other film canister hides, it is really possible to filter these hides out. This is NOT a slam and I am sincere in the ability to identify these caches before seeking them is real benefit to those who do not like film canister hides.

2. This thread has established a place where someone who is thinking about launching a similar project can go and get a general sampling of how people feel about this project.

The second phase will actually be much more easy to filter out as a result if me fixing a mistake I made in directing the first phase.... You're welcome. :(

Micro-Maximus???

Is that an Oxy moron?

"Yes, I'm a moron"

"You sure are! HAHAHAHA"

:lol::lol::unsure:

I thought it was actually going pretty good until post # 220 or so. :ph34r: I stated before I had postitives.

-Over 700 caches have been placed in the world for people to find.

-Several prep events were held for the project, increasing comraderie locally where they were held.

-Snoogans started the project, has stuck with it from day one, and is just as enthusiastic about it as ever. He has a "stage 2" planned, and if you read the whole thread carefully, you can pretty much figure out most of what's going to happen. This stage appears to address what I consider some shortcomings of the original plan. Snoogans will continue to be enthusiastic about the project, and not falter in his belief in it. Snoogans is no slacker.

Micro-Maximus???

Is that an Oxy moron?

"Yes, I'm a moron"

"You sure are! HAHAHAHA"

:lol::lol::unsure:

I thought it was actually going pretty good until post # 220 or so. :ph34r: I stated before I had postitives.

-Over 700 caches have been placed in the world for people to find.

-Several prep events were held for the project, increasing comraderie locally where they were held.

-Snoogans started the project, has stuck with it from day one, and is just as enthusiastic about it as ever. He has a "stage 2" planned, and if you read the whole thread carefully, you can pretty much figure out most of what's going to happen. This stage appears to address what I consider some shortcomings of the original plan. Snoogans will continue to be enthusiastic about the project, and not falter in his belief in it. Snoogans is no slacker.

Thank you, but I am a HUGE slacker. I admit that freely.

And by slacker, I mean procrastinator extraordinaire. It is actually one of my defining qualities. Heat somehow unlocks my creative juices. I'm very up front about that when leading project teams at work, but no one wants me to leave their team when the time comes for me to move on to the next team.

The heat directed at this project will help it improve. The heat directed at me only reaffirms my assesments of those who would stoop to do it. Hey, I do it too sometimes. Nobody's perfect. It's easy to get swept up in the overall spirit that this forum sometimes has toward certain issues. I take none of it personally. :lol:

Edited by Snoogans
Is it your position that you can blatently violate the forum guidelines as long as Snoogans doesn't report you to the mods? Don't you think that there are many people who might get offended at your 'Shut the hell up' comment?

<sigh>

Given the number of intelligent people participating in this thread, there is a surprising amount of mis-reading going on.

First off, I fully expected someone would misinterpret my phrasing, but thought it worthwhile nevertheless in the faint hope that it might get through to Snoogans. Nothing less ... powerful, shall we say, has so far.

Secondly, you too are focusing too narrowly upon my advice. It was not 'Shut up and go fall off the face of the Earth', it was 'Shut up and let other people talk, like you asked them to in the first place'. I went on to advise Snoogans that he was hurting the perception of his ODiouS caches through his actions in this thread.

Snoogans, and you and a couple of others as well, argue incessantly with each and every person who posts less than glowing comments and thoughts in this thread. The resulting message is, "We do not have sufficient faith in the ODiouS caches and do not believe that the project can stand on its own merits, so we have to continually badger and insult any objections to it into submission ourselves." I suspect that you and Snoogans do not realize that you are sending that message, thus the advice to him to back off for awhile. It's sad he won't listen.

Even now I continue to be amused at how he is going on and on, saying I 'provoked' him by posting my experiences of actual caches hidden as part of his project. They are in an area I know quite well, hidden by geocachers whose style and skill I am very familiar with. The ODiouS containers I have found there do not live up to these folks' typical quality of hides, nor are they typical of the geocaches placed in the region as a whole. My observations are that these caches are sub par in comparison. I tried to take into account other factors and if I remove the caches hidden as part of Snoogans' project from consideration I do not notice a significant change from my experiences a year ago. It is the ODiouS caches that are dragging down the average, as it were. If there is not something about the project that is causing this, I do not know what the explanation might be. I would be interested in hearing alternative hypotheses.

What I have shared in this thread are my objective observations of actual geocaches. That Snoogans considers my thoughts and comments about these experiences 'provocations' is quite sad. But really, not surprising.

Is it your position that you can blatently violate the forum guidelines as long as Snoogans doesn't report you to the mods? Don't you think that there are many people who might get offended at your 'Shut the hell up' comment?

<sigh>

Given the number of intelligent people participating in this thread, there is a surprising amount of mis-reading going on.

First off, I fully expected someone would misinterpret my phrasing, but thought it worthwhile nevertheless in the faint hope that it might get through to Snoogans. Nothing less ... powerful, shall we say, has so far.

Secondly, you too are focusing too narrowly upon my advice. It was not 'Shut up and go fall off the face of the Earth', it was 'Shut up and let other people talk, like you asked them to in the first place'. I went on to advise Snoogans that he was hurting the perception of his ODiouS caches through his actions in this thread.

Snoogans, and you and a couple of others as well, argue incessantly with each and every person who posts less than glowing comments and thoughts in this thread. The resulting message is, "We do not have sufficient faith in the ODiouS caches and do not believe that the project can stand on its own merits, so we have to continually badger and insult any objections to it into submission ourselves." I suspect that you and Snoogans do not realize that you are sending that message, thus the advice to him to back off for awhile. It's sad he won't listen.

Even now I continue to be amused at how he is going on and on, saying I 'provoked' him by posting my experiences of actual caches hidden as part of his project. They are in an area I know quite well, hidden by geocachers whose style and skill I am very familiar with. The ODiouS containers I have found there do not live up to these folks' typical quality of hides, nor are they typical of the geocaches placed in the region as a whole. My observations are that these caches are sub par in comparison. I tried to take into account other factors and if I remove the caches hidden as part of Snoogans' project from consideration I do not notice a significant change from my experiences a year ago. It is the ODiouS caches that are dragging down the average, as it were. If there is not something about the project that is causing this, I do not know what the explanation might be. I would be interested in hearing alternative hypotheses.

What I have shared in this thread are my objective observations of actual geocaches. That Snoogans considers my thoughts and comments about these experiences 'provocations' is quite sad. But really, not surprising.

Not arguing, but does the mirror you're holding up to me go both ways? :(