Google Earth madness on the Mac

What the #%@#@$#!!!??? I still can find no answer to why in the world I keep getting the message "you have exceeded the allowed views for the day. Please try again tomorrow"

I've tried everything that I can think of to delete the cache, download the latest kml file. Whatever. No luck. I can't find an earlier version of googleearth which some have said solves the problem. Does anyone know what's going on with not being able to see the geocache overlay in google earth?! Very frustrating!!!

I'm running a Mac, OS10.4.9 with google earth version 4.0.2736. Please help me out here. I really want to go cacheing tomorrow along Austin's Barton Creek Greenbelt. Thanks in advance//Melquiades

What the #%@#@$#!!!??? I still can find no answer to why in the world I keep getting the message "you have exceeded the allowed views for the day. Please try again tomorrow"

I've tried everything that I can think of to delete the cache, download the latest kml file. Whatever. No luck. I can't find an earlier version of googleearth which some have said solves the problem. Does anyone know what's going on with not being able to see the geocache overlay in google earth?! Very frustrating!!!

I'm running a Mac, OS10.4.9 with google earth version 4.0.2736. Please help me out here. I really want to go cacheing tomorrow along Austin's Barton Creek Greenbelt. Thanks in advance//Melquiades

Sorry, but I don't have the answer for you.

But you can still go caching tomorrow. I do just fine without Google Earth. Don't let that stop you from having fun!

Dunno, but here are some Google results:

"Geocaching.com's KML server limits the number of views to 200 a day in addition to "randomizing" the coordinates. If you exceed that number, the geocaching.com server will build a KML file telling you that you've exceeded the number of views and hand that to the Earth client. That's why the message looks like it's coming from Earth; it's actually coming from Groundspeak.

Neither the Plus/Pro upgrade to Earth nor being a Premium Member at Groundspeak changes that limit.

Beware that the first answer here is incorrect, but http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=127179 may be helpful. "

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php?Ca...8&fpart=all

And another thread on Groundspeak blaming GE:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=162746

and another

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=127179

Duh - I figured out why I had problems with everything I tried yesterday - because I had used the latest GE 4.1 first, and that ruined me for the day no matter what system I tried.

Today, I started out with GE on the PC, and the geocaching KML worked just fine from there. Then I moved to the Mac and tried an old copy of GE 3, which also worked fine. Then I moved to GE 4.0, and it was fine too. Last, I tried GE 4.1 and it didn't seem to do anything, then it told me I had exceeded my number of views for the day.

So now I can't view them on any system for the rest of the day, but I know that GE 4.1 on the Mac is definitely the only one with a problem.

I put a service ticket in to Groundspeak

"Thank you for your email. I believe you will find that we have a specific forum that acts as a valuable resource for this type of inquiry. I'd suggest browsing through it and seeing if you find what you are looking for. If not, please feel free to post a new topic and one of our friendly and knowledgeable community members will respond to you."

Way to pass the #$%& buck. Not the kind of response that makes me want to renew my premium membership.

GE version 3 works if I haven't already opened version 4 on the other computer (which, I assume sets the flag at Groundspeak for exceeding max views for the day). So Elliots4's observation appears to be spot on. I've reverted to version 3 everywhere, and seem to be OK.

So now I'm not sure that GE is blameless, since it was version 4 that that triggers the problem. And as long as they point the finger at Groundspeak and vice-versa, I doubt it will get fixed.

Edited by swansont

Macs are confusing computers. I usually know how to run a PC because my dad owns a computer shop on Post Rd. RI, but i don't know what the problem is. Sorry :blink:

It doesn't seem to care what computer you are using, PC or Mac, it effects both equally. Sometimes I have no problems at all and a week later it breaks again. I had a problem last night where I was using GE without a problem and at midnight it decided that I'd seen enough cache sites. After midnight I got the dreaded "try again tomorrow" error. Obviously I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if it's still broken. This problem has been cropping up for months and it has to do with your individual GC.com account. Hopefully they will devote some of their programming dollars to fixing this problem once and for all.

Edited by RonFisk