Geocaching with PDA

Hellfish00

Is it possible to download the cache info (the cache page) that is found on the web onto a PDA. Instead of printing the page? Would it have all the info that is needed with the logs.

If so how can this be done, and with what program.

I don't have a PDA, Can anyone recommend one for a PC.

Thanks

Eric

Edited by Hellfish00

Yes it is possible. It is what is referred to as 'paperless caching' and is the only way to go in my opinion. The two most popular programs for this are GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) and Cachemate. Here is a link to a tutorial that will walk you through the setup and installation of these programs. Click Here. If you search through the forums you will find lots of discussion about paperless caching. Good luck and happy caching - Gary

another easy solution is to print the cache page in question to a PDF file... this can be done on any PC with Acrobat... I think macs can do it pretty easily too...

load up adobe reader to go for your handheld and load the pdf on there and you're golden...

that's usually what i do, unless it's rainy... no sense in taking the handheld out. soggy paper is better than a soggy handheld...

I use a Palm Zire 72. It's got a big color screen with a built in camera... very easy to use

I have a Palm Zire 72 as well. It's a lot more PDA than most geocachers use, but I love it.

It has a high resolution color screen, a VERY FAST processor for sorting lists, a built in camera, a built in voice recorder, internal rechargable battery, and accepts SD cards. And for those of you who can use it, it also has blue tooth. Got mine for around $110 on e-bay, with a metal case (dropped it several times and it's still going strong).

The only problem is that it is difficult to see the screen in sunlight.

if your palm has BT, you don't need another GPSr device. get a BT GPSr (e.g., globalsat) and use the palm application GeoNiche. It turns your palm into a great GPS device for geocaching and everything else. you can store endless cache info on SD card and move groups in and out of RAM. wonderfully customizable in a way that garmins and others cannot do.

if your palm has BT

???

What is BT? Big Toes?

Sorry, I'm a Newb at palms

BT= BlueTooth

Wireless technology that small portable electronic devices can use to communicate with each other, or a PC/Mac. Has about a 30ft range.

If your PDA has BT, you can sync it with your computer (if you have a BT adapter for the comp), or you can use it with a BT capable cell phone for wireless internet access.

BUT, best of all, you can use it with a BT gps receiver, which means its wireless. Lots of people attache the GPSr to a hat or the top of a backpack for best reception and to keep them out of the way, yet get good reception.

I am surprised no one has mentioned BeelineGPS it is really an offroad navigation software for PDA's with GPS but it also contains everything needed to import .gpx files from pocket queries, display cache pages in the field, and manage found caches including log notes.

Yes, I too am about to step into the paperless world! But does anyone know if GSAK or Cachemate work with Mac?

GSAK has no Mac version, but MacCaching does many things that GSAK does. CacheMate is usable with a Mac; see the website for details. For myself, I just print the cache description to a PDF file (which Mac OS X can do with no additional software) and view it on my Palm with PalmPDF.