New Personal Geocoin - OIGM (Original Iraq Geocache Medics)

DezertMedic

** Ok image problem fixed***

Hi all.

I have been waiting for the right time to put this up, and its here. The samples are great and the coins should be going to the minter. I'm sure folks are asking several questions in their minds right now. I think a short history will clarify.

I (Dezertmedic) returned to Iraq to work in Dec '06. While in Baghdad I met D_O_C (formerly KCBrugger) and Xtremescuba while doing training. (All 3 of us are paramedics hence the name 'Original Iraq Geoche edics'.) D_O_C told X and I about this thing called 'geocaching', that she did. It sounded cool and much to our surprise there were several 'caches' hidden on our camp! So she drags us off to our first cache and WOW. We had a blast. Over the course of a few days we found caches and had a blast doing it. Needless to say I was hooked. Unfortunately, all good things end and we each had to go to our own camps. Over the next couple of months I visited the forums and learned more. Once I found out about 'geocoins' I had a great idea. I would design a coin to commemorate my new hobby and allow us something personal to leave in caches. I thought and sketched and thought and wracked my brain and sketched some more. Then I contacted several coin companies and got some advice from the forums (thanks to all who offered advice). I finally decided to go with Georgia at TheCachingPlace. com. She helped me finalize the artwork which is exactly as I envisioned. She has been super helpful every step of the way and I can't thank her enough. Now my dream is a reality.

antiquebronzesoftfrontol7.jpg

Antique Bronze - soft enamel - front

copperhardfrontzr8.jpg

Copper - hard enamel - front

silverhardbackxr4.jpg

Silver - hard enamel - back

A couple lucky folks who have cached in Italy may have already found my 'coupon' for one of these coins. I took a vacation but wasn't able to have the coins ready before then so I left a few hand written notes for those who came after me and were willing to take a chance and take the 'coupon'.

There will be a total of 300 coins made. They are not trackable. They will be numbered. I have no plans of having any more made at this time - but as this is a coin for 3 people that may change. No plan is in place for sale of these. Though some may go on ebay from us. Trades will hopefully happen :laughing:

The breakdown of the coins being made is:

50 - Sandblast gold - soft enamel

50 - Copper - hard enamel

100 - Anti-bronze - soft enamel

100 - Shiny silver - hard enamel

I'm sure folks will have questions. Please ask.

For now, enjoy.

---- Dezertmedic -----

Edited by DezertMedic

Hi.

There will be trading but I can't make any promises yet as the coins will be divided among us.

Once the coins are in hand and we have divided them, then each person will be able to do what they wish were their portion. I hope this clarifies.

Thanks,

Dezertmedic

There will be trading but I can't make any promises yet as the coins will be divided among us.

Hi, DezertMedic. If you do decide to do some trading I'd be very interested in trading one of my personal Ferreter5 copper geocoins for one of your copper geocoins. Keep me in mind. And, have a safe tour!

Ferreter5ByDanoshimano.jpg

Oops, ok, now I can see the photos (great looking coins) and I see that they are for trade only. So, ignore my previous post. I would be very interested in trading for one of the silver coins!

Edited by 4BOWS

Hi all, thanks for the great response. I just want to post a quick note so their won't be any misunderstanding later. I do not want to be accused of misrepresenting myself. I thank everyone for their well wishes. But, I am not currently in the military. I am an honorably discharged Vet but I am currently working in Iraq as a civilian. We do support our troops though and there are over 20,000 + civilian working alongside, with and for the military over here. With that said I wish all a good day.

DezertMedic

I would be interested in trading for 2 of your coins. One for myself and one for my dad Buffalo Wings. For trade we have the Team sand Dollar 2006 - Florida Sand Dollar, Team Sand Dollar 2007 - Arrowhead Sand Dollar, And Buffalo Wings 2007 geocoins.

Or check my trade list on CoinTracking. Link is below.

Team Sand Dollar

Hi all, thanks for the great response. I just want to post a quick note so their won't be any misunderstanding later. I do not want to be accused of misrepresenting myself. I thank everyone for their well wishes. But, I am not currently in the military. I am an honorably discharged Vet but I am currently working in Iraq as a civilian. We do support our troops though and there are over 20,000 + civilian working alongside, with and for the military over here. With that said I wish all a good day.

DezertMedic

As a vet gone civy and still working with the Military myself I commend you for still supporting the effort.

O-Mega

Doing the happy dance! We were one of those lucky folks who just happened to have a vacation in Italy!! (sent an email to ya yesterday) We picked up the coupon in a cache in Rome we are now just waiting for instructions on how to redeem it. I was really excited to see the pictures today, can't wait to get your coin!

Hi all.

Just to let folks know what I am doing. I am placing everyones name on a list who is asking for a trade, either here or via email. Once the coins are in and I have a definitive count on each type I will be ready to start trading. I'm looking forward to it ;)

Congrats to usyoopers on getting the coupon!

Happy caching....

DezertMedic

Hi all,

I want to give an update. There was a mix up at the mint so shipment of the coins to me has been delayed. I have a list with everyone who wished to trade and once the coins are in hand I will post the list to see who is still interested. I am sorry for the delay. It's unforeseen reasons like this why I haven't been willing to implement any trades until I have the coins in hand. Thank you for your patience.

DezertMedic

Hi all,

I want to give an update. There was a mix up at the mint so shipment of the coins to me has been delayed. I have a list with everyone who wished to trade and once the coins are in hand I will post the list to see who is still interested. I am sorry for the delay. It's unforeseen reasons like this why I haven't been willing to implement any trades until I have the coins in hand. Thank you for your patience.

DezertMedic

No worries! Coin lovers are a (mostly) patient lot! :D

Good afternoon all!

Great news. The coins are in and look fabulous! I am in the process of sorting them out and will start getting them ready to ship over the next week. I only have a couple of hours a night free time so may take a week or 2 to get them out.

Here is the list of folks who have requested a trade. If you are on the list please email me with your mailing address, which coin(s) you want and any specific # coin. I do have a spreadsheet with everyone on it and what coin they have requested. I will be reviewing offers as I try to fill the request.

Please bear in mind the following:

LE - Gold w/ soft enamel # 1-50 (1-3,10) are gone :unsure:

LE - Copper w/ hard enamel # 51-100

SE - Ant. Bronze w/ soft enamel # 101-200

SE - Shiny Silver w/ hard enamel # 201-300

AtlantaGal

Southbayday

Nicolo

Pengofamily

Oroborus

4BOWS

Ferreter5

Tank hounds

The Moop Along

GBOT

The Dream Cachers

Planet

Hares Ear

Omega

Moosiegirl

Avroair

wyohunter

Cog&Gil

Marky

danoshimano

Team Sand Dollar

Buffalo Wings

slowdownracer

nolefan9399

Two Happy Hikers

PennyPacker

CyberChemist

marlin01

Filter X

nscaler

usyooper

res2100

tsunrisebey

GCHound

Mr.Explorer3

Thanks for your patience and look forward to some happy trades!

Please email me at s27d4g@hotmail.com

This will make the trading easier for me.

Thanks,

DezertMedic

Edited by DezertMedic

I decided to try and e-mail dezertmedic over the weekend, and I got a reply - from Iraq! He said he tried shipping them individually from Iraq but ran into trouble, so he had to ship them all back to the US together and reshipped from here. He says they all should have been reshipped last week. We should all e-mail him and wish him the best. :D