Help

#1bullmoose

I just bought an Iway 250c thinking I would get in on the fun of geocaching. How do I put the location numbers in my unit? and than follow to the location? The books don't seam to help. All I can get to come up are roads and highways. Thanks :laughing:

This unit does not look good for geochching, I would have got a Garmin eTrex or a Magellan eXplorist.

I have a Garmin eTrex and happy with it, and my brother has a Magellan eXplorist and he is happy with that one.

I'd send it back

I just bought an Iway 250c thinking I would get in on the fun of geocaching. How do I put the location numbers in my unit? and than follow to the location? The books don't seam to help. All I can get to come up are roads and highways. Thanks :laughing:

Thanks, macinvilas and almo1972

I looked up the Iway 250c and it is an automobile-based navigation routing system, not really a good handheld system that you will want to be using tramping about in the bushes. Besides you'll lose the stylus falling down a hill - we've all done it!

Get a cheap (~$100) unit at Wally-World and you'll be set.

I looked up the Iway 250c and it is an automobile-based navigation routing system, not really a good handheld system that you will want to be using tramping about in the bushes. Besides you'll lose the stylus falling down a hill - we've all done it!

Thanks Crawil. We have donr some letterboxing but thought this would be more fun.

Thanks Crawil and Tadpole. We have done some letterboxing but thought this would be more fun.

The I-Ways (and most "car GPSr" devices like Tom Tom, etc.) cannot navigate to an off-road waypoint easily if at all and are almost useless for geocaching (and also, as noted, not very rugged to use in the woods). Only the original I-Way (the discontinued 100M, which I have) which looks more like a handheld than a car GPS, really does a halfway decent job (and even there, has flaws compared to a true "hiking GPS" like lack of a "compass rose").

There has been talk there about some sort of "combined unit" but I guess there hasn't been enough of a market out there for such a device to be mass-marketed. Magelllan has recently come out with what they call a "crossover" GPS to do both, but I hear it hasn't been selling too well and is pretty expensive (like about $500 or so).

The I-Ways (and most "car GPSr" devices like Tom Tom, etc.) cannot navigate to an off-road waypoint easily if at all and are almost useless for geocaching (and also, as noted, not very rugged to use in the woods). Only the original I-Way (the discontinued 100M, which I have) which looks more like a handheld than a car GPS, really does a halfway decent job (and even there, has flaws compared to a true "hiking GPS" like lack of a "compass rose").

There has been talk there about some sort of "combined unit" but I guess there hasn't been enough of a market out there for such a device to be mass-marketed. Magelllan has recently come out with what they call a "crossover" GPS to do both, but I hear it hasn't been selling too well and is pretty expensive (like about $500 or so).

Thanks for the information. Looks like I get another toy. :P