Question on how to find caches by area

We'll be visiting the UK next summer, and I'd like to do a bit of caching while we're there. Since I won't be bringing my computer, I'll have to figure out which caches are near to where we'll be before actually leaving home.

When I travel in the US, I can run a pocket query for caches in a certain postal code.

When I looked at the Hide & Seek a Cache page and clicked on the UK, it brings up all the caches in the UK, not separated by area or even country. Is there a way to narrow this down a bit?

For instance, say I'll be in the Bath, England area. How could I narrow it down to just show caches in the Bath area?

Thanks for any assistance!

We'll be visiting the UK next summer, and I'd like to do a bit of caching while we're there. Since I won't be bringing my computer, I'll have to figure out which caches are near to where we'll be before actually leaving home.

When I travel in the US, I can run a pocket query for caches in a certain postal code.

When I looked at the Hide & Seek a Cache page and clicked on the UK, it brings up all the caches in the UK, not separated by area or even country. Is there a way to narrow this down a bit?

For instance, say I'll be in the Bath, England area. How could I narrow it down to just show caches in the Bath area?

Thanks for any assistance!

You could run a PQ centred on a cache that you see is in central Bath. Alternatively, run a PQ centred on your hotel by entering the postcode of the hotel where you're staying (a postcode is like a zip code but consists of numbers and letters, usually 6 or 7 of them).

Also, use the Geocaching.com Google Map link on the cache pages, this gives you a good idea of where caches are in relation to each other and parks, hotels, public transport, etc. I commonly use this to find likely looking caches when I am off to a new area.

shame we cant search by county or you could just pick say somerset if you are heading there :laughing:

the easiest is just search on postcode of your hotel for the time being.

Some of us have been including counties in our cache names for some time. For example, my Bath caches include the area name (Bath & NE Somerset). So you can search on the county name of Somerset, select a cache including Bath in the names and then use the cahce page link to find all nearby caches. Circuitous, but it will get you there.

As a starter for ten, here's a list of caches centred on the Royal Crescent, Bath.

Thanks! Like a dolt I didn't even think about the fact that I could probably enter a postal code and run a PQ. I was strictly looking at the Hide & Seek a Cache feature which won't allow you to enter a postal code unless you're searching in the US.

It would be awfully nice if they let you search by county, wouldn't it?

Some of us have been including counties in our cache names for some time. For example, my Bath caches include the area name (Bath & NE Somerset). So you can search on the county name of Somerset, select a cache including Bath in the names and then use the cahce page link to find all nearby caches. Circuitous, but it will get you there.

What a great idea! Thank you!

I'm not 100% sure of where we'll be going just yet, but I did want to play around and see which areas have caches that would coincide with our proposed itinerary.

It would be awfully nice if they let you search by county, wouldn't it?

Can you put a word in for us on that? (It would be a great help to visiting cachers too, not just to the Brits)

I often use Google Earth for planning trips, but you can use it to identify one cache in the area you're visiting, and centre your PQ on that.

The Zip code box does work with UK Post Codes although you need to know the full post code.

Thanks again, Wombles; I didn't realize that.

Bongtwashes - I'll put in a word for y'all, but my opinion and 50 cents won't even get you a decent cup of coffee. :laughing: