difference between Garmin 60 and 76?

I just got into this sport this past week with my daughter because of her brownie group. She loves it and we have been out and found our first 2 on our own. Great fun for the family. I currently have an old Garmin 12 map but would like to upgrade to a little better unit with better reception under the canopy. I see lots of folks talking about teh 60 and 76. Can someone give me the differences between these two models along with teh pros and cons of each. I will be using this for Geocaching but am also a serious hunter and it will get as much or more use in that than anything.

Thanks for the help.

D

From an ergonomics standpoint I'll take the 60 over the 76 for my use on the trail. The 60 fits my hand much better and my fingers/hand don't block the screen when I am using the keyboard like on the 76. The 76 seems better suited mounted on the dash of a car or boat.

From an ergonomics standpoint I'll take the 60 over the 76 for my use on the trail. The 60 fits my hand much better and my fingers/hand don't block the screen when I am using the keyboard like on the 76. The 76 seems better suited mounted on the dash of a car or boat.

I have the opposite problem with the screens. The ones that locate the buttons on the botom are so much more ackward.

I agree on the ergonomics. When you read about the dimensions they are close, but that 60 feels a lot better in your hand.

@lechwe:

To help with the "battle" between top buttons (76) and bottom buttons (60), think about how you held your old GPS12, and if you liked that button/display layout or not. The 76 will be similar (tho wider) to that. FWIW, my 1st GPS was a GPS12 (non-map version) and I never noticed the "hands are in the way" issue with it. With that experience, it wasn't a factor in my recent upgrade to the 60CSx - I ended up going with the 60CSx mainly for the slightly smaller profile, but it's really a toss up - can't go wrong either way IMO.

Thanks for the replies and links to other threads. If I understand everything I am reading there is basically no functional differences in these units. I just have to decide if I need a 76 that floats or a 60 that doesn't but might feel better ergo wise? Guess I'll just have to go to the store and play with them both before deciding.

Thanks for the help

D

As I understand it, the 60 is meant for trail use, and the 76 is meant for marine use. Both have the SIRF III chipset.

Not really. The 76 does float, but beyond that, it has nothing marine related that the 60 doesn't have.

The 76 does have a "Man Overboard" (MOB) key that I believe lets you mark a waypoint and start routing to it with one keypress, or something like that. Other than that, I can't think of any nautically related differences in the current models; in the "non-X" models I believe the tide tables came pre-installed on the 76 model, but you had to download them separately on the 60.

As I understand it, the 60 is meant for trail use, and the 76 is meant for marine use. Both have the SIRF III chipset.

Not really. The 76 does float, but beyond that, it has nothing marine related that the 60 doesn't have.

The 76 does have a "Man Overboard" (MOB) key that I believe lets you mark a waypoint and start routing to it with one keypress, or something like that. Other than that, I can't think of any nautically related differences in the current models; in the "non-X" models I believe the tide tables came pre-installed on the 76 model, but you had to download them separately on the 60.

The 60 has the MOB feature as well.

Hi Lechwe

The 60CSx will also float, use Litium batteries and it floats, as proven here in the forums some time ago. Use a larnyard and it will never need to float.

:D

Its positive buoyancy is so slight, that it might hit bottom before it starts up. And if hitting bottom damages the unit, it may never come up. In swift-running water, it could be 50 feet away or more before it comes back up. And you'd better have good eyesight, since all that would be above water is about 1 inch of the black antenna.

Or to put it simply, it's foolish to treat this as a floating unit, just because you've got Lithium batteries in it.

Edited by Prime Suspect

[The 76 does have a "Man Overboard" (MOB) key that I believe lets you mark a waypoint and start routing to it with one keypress, or something like that. Other than that, I can't think of any nautically related differences in the current models; in the "non-X" models I believe the tide tables came pre-installed on the 76 model, but you had to download them separately on the 60.

That's a good point. I was thinking of the "lettered" versions of the models (60Cx, 60CSx etc) rather than the original "60" and "76" models which were quite a bit different. My appologies to the OP if he was talking about the earlier models, which are still on Garmin's website.

I'm not sure floating is such a great thing. Last year while geocaching my 60CS popped off its clip on my belt. It rolled down a hill hitting several trees and ended up in a river. It took me a little bit of time to get down the hill it was so steep. When I got to the bottom I could see my GPS about 3 feet from shore under about a foot of water. It was still running. The screen looks really good under water, by the way. I was able to drag it ashore using my walking stick. If it had been a 76 it probably would be out to sea somewhere.

By the way this also says something about the ruggedness of this unit since it bounced pretty hard off of some of those trees on the way down that hill.

I'm not sure floating is such a great thing. Last year while geocaching my 60CS popped off its clip on my belt. It rolled down a hill hitting several trees and ended up in a river. It took me a little bit of time to get down the hill it was so steep. When I got to the bottom I could see my GPS about 3 feet from shore under about a foot of water. It was still running. The screen looks really good under water, by the way. I was able to drag it ashore using my walking stick. If it had been a 76 it probably would be out to sea somewhere.

By the way this also says something about the ruggedness of this unit since it bounced pretty hard off of some of those trees on the way down that hill.

So, was it still tracking under a foot of water?

Last night I dreamed that I had dropped my 60CSx and put a large crack in the screen, but it was still functioning. That was one dream I was relieved to wake up from!

[The 76 does have a "Man Overboard" (MOB) key that I believe lets you mark a waypoint and start routing to it with one keypress, or something like that. Other than that, I can't think of any nautically related differences in the current models; in the "non-X" models I believe the tide tables came pre-installed on the 76 model, but you had to download them separately on the 60.

That's a good point. I was thinking of the "lettered" versions of the models (60Cx, 60CSx etc) rather than the original "60" and "76" models which were quite a bit different. My appologies to the OP if he was talking about the earlier models, which are still on Garmin's website.

I'm not quite sure of your point. But just to be clear, both the 60Cx and the 60CSx have the MOB function.

I'm not quite sure of your point. But just to be clear, both the 60Cx and the 60CSx have the MOB function.

I concede; on looking at the manual the MOB function is indeed there; the key is just not labeled.

My other point was just that when people refer to the "60" and "76" they could be referring to the original models, or the the latest models. There were so many changes between the original models and the later ones that I'm surprised Garmin didn't change the basic model number. I guess the confusion will go away as the 60/76/C/S/x models become the primary models (are now for most purposes), but there are still a lot "non x" models in use, and my brother-in-law still swears by his 76S :)

The idea that the 76 is more aimed at marine use is probably a legacy from the time when it was. Back then, there were no 60-series available, so it was the eTrex units, which aren't supporting various marine functions, and the 76, which does.

Then the 60-series came along, and began to have identical firmware to the 76, thus also providing exactly the same functionality, of course. The only difference between a 60 CS and a 76 CS is that the latter has twice the internal memory, for example. Apart from physical differences, that is.

A fact that's often overlooked is that the 76 CSx works standing on a table, without any cradle at all. The 60 CSx must be held in your hand, or installed in any of the numerous mounts. The design of the case is such that it simply doesn't work just lying there.

If you really want bouyancy, then I suggest attaching something that floats well to the lanyard. Preferably something in neon pink, or similar, so you easily can find it.

A fact that's often overlooked is that the 76 CSx works standing on a table, without any cradle at all. The 60 CSx must be held in your hand, or installed in any of the numerous mounts. The design of the case is such that it simply doesn't work just lying there.

What exactly do you mean that it won't work just lying there? I'm a little confused. I had just about decided on teh 60 now I'm all up in the air again.

Thanks

D

What exactly do you mean that it won't work just lying there? I'm a little confused. I had just about decided on teh 60 now I'm all up in the air again.

Thanks

D

It's just that the 76 can be stood on end (until someone bumps the table and it falls over). The bottom end of the 60 is rounded. I would consider the fact that the 60 has a belt clip and the 76 doesn't, to be a bigger difference.

The only difference between a 60 CS and a 76 CS is that the latter has twice the internal memory, for example. Apart from physical differences, that is.

Don't you mean removable memory? I think the internal memory size is the same. Considering how prices have fallen for these cards, most people won't be sticking with the card that came with the unit anyway.

Edited by Prime Suspect

The only difference between a 60 CS and a 76 CS is that the latter has twice the internal memory, for example. Apart from physical differences, that is.

Don't you mean removable memory? I think the internal memory size is the same. Considering how prices have fallen for these cards, most people won't be sticking with the card that came with the unit anyway.

No, Anders was referring to the 60CS(non-x) and 76CS(non-x).

His point, I think was that the 2 models have really converged, prior to the x models, the 76 had twice the memory, and now the one difference is form factor.

What he said only reverse the 60 and 76 to get my opinion-lol.

I'm not sure floating is such a great thing.

<snip>

:laughing:

It's a good thing if you are in a boat and you drop it overboard in 100' of water!

The 76 vs. 60 topic is starting to get ridiculous - like a debate not unlike 4 stroke vs. 2 stroke outboards or PC vs. Mac. Didn't someone already do a Q & A on this subject that is at the top of the forums list? Maybe it should become it's OWN forum so we owners aren't so compelled to answer the seemingly endless questions regarding the two.

Just a rant - got a bad sunburn today and ran out of gas in the boat (4 stroke).

Edited by MajBach

I'm not sure floating is such a great thing.

<snip>

:laughing:

It's a good thing if you are in a boat and you drop it overboard in 100' of water!

That goes back to intended use (marine vs hiking). Drop it in 100' of water you want it to float, Drop it into 2 feet of fast moving water you want it to sink and lodge in the rocks on the bottom. If it floated it would take off downstream.

... got a bad sunburn today and ran out of gas in the boat (4 stroke).

Oops! I hate it when that happens! :anicute::wub:

The 76 vs. 60 topic is starting to get ridiculous - like a debate not unlike 4 stroke vs. 2 stroke outboards or PC vs. Mac. Didn't someone already do a Q & A on this subject that is at the top of the forums list? Maybe it should become it's OWN forum so we owners aren't so compelled to answer the seemingly endless questions regarding the two.

Or, if people would do a search they would realize it had been covered extensively.

Thanks for teh constructive responses. I appreciate them very much.

I did try to search and didn't see what I was looking for so I decided to ask the question. I assume there are very few questions that could be asked that have not been covered already. If that bothers people maybe they should just say what a dumb a** under their breath and move on without wasting their precious time responding.

My rant.

Thanks for teh constructive responses. I appreciate them very much.

I did try to search and didn't see what I was looking for so I decided to ask the question. I assume there are very few questions that could be asked that have not been covered already. If that bothers people maybe they should just say what a dumb a** under their breath and move on without wasting their precious time responding.

My rant.

Sorry, I was not intending to call you anything, it just seemed like this topic has been covered extensively in the past few weeks.

No, Anders was referring to the 60CS(non-x) and 76CS(non-x).

His point, I think was that the 2 models have really converged, prior to the x models, the 76 had twice the memory, and now the one difference is form factor.

Sorry, but I assumed he was referring the X models, since the non-X 76 DOESN'T have twice the memory. However, the external memory of the 76 X models IS twice that of the 60 X model.

The 76, has less (8 MB), not more memory than the 60 (24MB). See this.

To prevent you from having to do all this guessing, I can tell you once again that I was indeed referring to the now discontinued 60 CS and 76 CS models.

For these units, the 60 CS had 64 MB of internal map memory, where 8 MB was used by the basemap "lite", but the 76 CS had 128 MB of such memory, with 13 MB used by the "full" basemap. That left 56 vs. 115 MB for the user's detailed maps.

Now the X-models are delivered with cards of different sizes, but them you can easily change yourself.

I just thought of a time, non-marine related, where the MOB button would have come in handy. Last summer, before I got my GPSr, at a motorcycle gathering. Rode back later that day with a small group of people. One rider had a malfunction, flat tire, and we wound up on the side of the freeway at night pushing a bike and shuttling gear. Someone had to drop a loaded tankbag on the shoulder to lighten the load. Got up to the end of the offramp and realize the tank bag was still down the road a bit, in the dark, in the grass, somewhere. I could have hit the MOB button when the bag was dropped, then made my way back to it later to retrieve it. As it was, another rider wandered back down the freeway and rummaged around in the brush along the way until they found it.

Oh well, just typing a story, hope it helps someone somehow. Back to reading and catching up on stuff.

edit: (wow, that was my first post here? how'd that happen? I usually have a bunch of stuff posted by now. Oh well. Guess there's so much good info on the site here I haven't needed to ask any questions yet and don't have enough experience to offer much advice. I'll have to work on that. ;) )

Edited by mikej2

Hello everyone, I am wondering... in the detail report for the 76s it says it does not have a geocach mode and cannot enter new points of interest, so will this prevent me from good geocaching? I am mainly wondering if this is the best fit for me. I would like a barometer included, hopefully under 10 m accuracy, preloaded maps over continents, and the ability to upload geocach points and topographic maps... around 200 bux. Thanks!