Pottery Geocoin - Four Spirit

sssooocool

Reservation for Four Spirit Geocoin

This set of pottery coin consists of 4 different patterns of ancient Chinese auspicious animals; each of them represents a direction, a season and an element. Owners of these coins can develop all sorts of fun ways of cache hunt according to the symbolization of each animal.

These 4 patterns are registered under the same name ‘Four Spirit’ at geocaching.com and share the same icon which is the Chinese character of ‘spirit’.icon.jpg

Formation of this icon is quite interesting - The upper part is the word of ‘rain’, the lower part is ‘sorcerer’ and the middle part is ‘three mouths’. The two Chinese characters on the reverse side of the coin are the color and name of the animal.

The Four Spirit serial numbers, names and corresponding symbolizations are as follows:

4SG-E AZURE DRAGON represents EAST, SPRING, WOOD

4SG-E.jpg

4SG-W WHITE TIGER represents WEST, AUTUMN, METAL

4SG-W.jpg

4SG-S RED PHOENIX represents SOUTH, SUMMER, FIRE

4SG-S.jpg

4SG-N BLACK TORTOISE represents NORTH, WINTER, WATER

4SG-N.jpg

Specification & prices

4SG-E-f.jpg 4SG-side%20view.jpg

.Name – Four Spirit Geocoin

.Material – High temperature kiln fried pottery

.Size - 60mm x 8mm.

.Trackable at geocaching .com and manually engraved tracking code are embedded at the rim of the coin.

.Activation code – printed on the slip enclosed

.Price - US$12.50 each. S/H $3.50, $1 for each additional coin

.Price for a 4SG-4 set (4 different patterns) – US$47 per set. S/H $6.50, $1 for each additional coin, $4 for each additional set.

.Shipment - from Taiwan to any country

If you are interested in any of above coin(s), please e-mail the following details to sssooocool@gmail.com for a reservation. A first lot of 250 coins in total is under producing and will be ready by June 10. We will send out our paypal invoice right after we receive the coins.

.Geo Nick

.Name

.Address

.Contact e-mail

.Paypal e-mail

.Qnty of 4SG-E:

.Qnty of 4SG-W:

.Qnty of 4SG-S:

.Qnty of 4SG-N:

.Qnty of 4SG-4:

sssooocool

Edited by sssooocool

These look great. Sssooocool, can you comment on durability? They look pretty hefty but having no familiarity with kiln fried pottery I harbor some (possibly naive) concerns about their ability to hold up. Do you think if they were sent out traveling they would survive the hustle and bustle of going into and out of caches? I'm sure the ones I kept would, er, keep just fine. Thanks!

Re: Trade:

Thank you for your compliment and offer but I'm not in the stage of collecting geocoins at the moment. I believe there will be many people interest in your awesome coin and will trade with you!

Re: Too pricy

I respect your judgment. Thank you for posting here anyway.

sssooocool

are the sizes correct - this makes them huge coins ? especially the thickness. I guess made of pottery they will be lighter than a metal coin of that size .

Sue

Yes, the size is 60mm x 8mm for sure. The reasons of thickness are (1) it’s not a solid pottery coin (2) hand made for 3 dimensional (3) tracking number is carved by hand before pottery becomes dry.

The weight of Four Spirit Geocoin is heavier than other pottery because we want it to be higher hardness. So we made it by higher temperature. Of course it is lighter than other metal Geocoin. Every geocoin has different weight and the weight is between 40g ~ 47g.

sssooocool

If production numbers are limited, these have collectors item written all over them. If not, they still have value, but it obviously drops somewhat. This brings us back to the question of how many you plan on producing as a maximum. I'm likely to get two sets, but at $16 Australian a coin after shipping, I'd like to know in advance what the total run will be.

I'm contemplating framing a set of these, they look so good :laughing: Another set would be FTF prizes for some challenging puzzle caches.

Edited by fehrgo

These look great. Sssooocool, can you comment on durability? They look pretty hefty but having no familiarity with kiln fried pottery I harbor some (possibly naive) concerns about their ability to hold up. Do you think if they were sent out traveling they would survive the hustle and bustle of going into and out of caches? I'm sure the ones I kept would, er, keep just fine. Thanks!

Methinks that wouldn't be a problem. These have muggle-bait

written all over them. I don't think they would make more than

I few cache trips before someone helped themselves.

I'm worried about activating & carrying them around to events.

I'm kind of casual -- throw them in the backpack. Guess not, with

these.

Ordered a set -- how could I not? But I'll have to dump stuff on

the place to make up the cost. I'm in dutch already.

T

Edited by tasaint

these.

A bubble mailer would probably be a good way to transport them.

The reasons of thickness are (1) it’s not a solid pottery coin

Are these cast in a mold and hollow? That would play a lot into their durability. Sssooocool, how many mm thick would you estimate the thinest part of these to be? Is there a weak spot on the edge from the casting process?

Edited by fehrgo

(1) it’s not a solid pottery coin

Interesting. Do the coins have a different core substance?

Tasaint, thanks for the note. Sssooocool, I'm still interested to hear your thoughts on the durability question (no rush, just noticed you responded to a couple other posts). Thanks!

(1) it’s not a solid pottery coin

Interesting. Do the coins have a different core substance?

Tasaint, thanks for the note. Sssooocool, I'm still interested to hear your thoughts on the durability question (no rush, just noticed you responded to a couple other posts). Thanks!

It’s not solid, but nearly solid. For this, we have to pierce tiny hole on the side to let the air coming out while frying.

The coin is heavier and harder than most of pottery products.

sssooocool

If production numbers are limited, these have collectors item written all over them. If not, they still have value, but it obviously drops somewhat. This brings us back to the question of how many you plan on producing as a maximum. I'm likely to get two sets, but at $16 Australian a coin after shipping, I'd like to know in advance what the total run will be.

I'm contemplating framing a set of these, they look so good <_< Another set would be FTF prizes for some challenging puzzle caches.

I could not tell you my plan now on producing as a maximum as there is none. The present plane is to make the first lot of 250 pieces, about 62 each of the four designs and complete the sale. There is still 50 pieces left for reservation at this moment.

sssooocool :D

I agree the Price is high already and another $6.00 for shipping thats alot for 4 coins. Very nice coins, would love to trade for a set.

S/H $3.50, $1 for each additional coin.

The coins are to be sent by international registered airmail from Taiwan to any country. It is about the same weight as standard 1.75” metal coin but bigger. I have to use a larger bag and larger bubble envelope.

sssooocool

these.

T

You can always throw them with the poly bag packed in your backpack as they are strong enough to survive there. <_<

I may have to rethink this one... If there are any left after GW5 (and if I have any money left after GW5 :P ) I may just have to order a set. Beautiful. And different. I will check back on May 29th. If there are any left to order, I will do so then. :)

CF30

Well, I’ll keep one set for you then until end of May. :)

sssooocool

Edited by sssooocool

Are these cast in a mold and hollow?

About MOLD

The first sample of each design was sculptured by a local well known pottery artist. Coins are to be produced in a private stereo.

Each design is hand sculptured on a gypsum board individually.

From a set of four boards (front, reverse and two sides), they can make a set of four pieces gypsum ORIGINAL MOLD.

From that original mold, they produce a set of gypsum MOTHER MOLD (4 pieces as well).

Finally, the gypsum PRODUCTION MOLD (4 pieces) is made from the mother mold.

Each set of productions mould can produce one coin a time. Have to wait till the clay almost dry then they can take it out to produce the next one. We are making 7 sets of production mould for each design, so they have 28 sets mould to produce 28 clays at the same time.

To remain the quality of the coin, the maximum quantity of clay to be made from a set of production mold is 20 pieces.

sssooocool :D

Sent email for a set but no reply - how do you check if you made it to the list or not?

Thank you for your reservation for Four Spirit Geocoin. Sorry for the late reply as the response to this coin was overwhelming and it takes a lot of time to reply one by one especially for a non-English speaking person like me. Therefore, I could only reply those questions being asked in the forum first. I will get a helper to reply all these reservations as soon as possible. :laughing:

sssooocool

Ok, I'll bite.

Ordering a set. For those of you in the Bay Area, you can see if they were worth the cost ;).

Just had to order a couple of sets. Maybe I'll get some good trades out of them :P

Those are too beautiful looking to pass up, set ordered.

Expensive, but I couldn't resist. GREAT looking coins.

I have paid more on that e place for some coins, I really like.

SO I can't wait to see them in person.

Steel City Babes

Ordered 1 set :)

Every one of sssooocool's coin designs has been awesome. I ordered a 4 coin set of this latest design. B)

Well I just had to get two white tigers, they look amazing.

I'm contemplating framing a set of these, they look so good B) Another set would be FTF prizes for some challenging puzzle caches.

Methinks that wouldn't be a problem. These have muggle-bait

written all over them. I don't think they would make more than

I few cache trips before someone helped themselves.

these.

T

Sent email for a set but no reply - how do you check if you made it to the list or not?

Ordered 2 sets. I think they will be wonderful gifts for good friends. ;)

Your last coin exceeded our expectations, and I bet this one does too. Thanks for pushing the envelope and producing some really unique geocoins. I can't wait to get ours.

--Marky

I appreciate your compliment and post your reservation here. An email will be sent out this afternoon to you, and to all who email me directly, to confirm the quantity reserved.

sssooocool

Edited by sssooocool