downloading onto explorist 400

So I just got a new GPS and I am loving it! However, I have noticed that when I look at the cache information page that there is a screen to view the cache hint. My question is this, do I have to manually input the hint or is there a way to download it when I download the waypoints. I have not figured out how to get the terrain, altitude, or difficulty level as well. I would love to be able to download the info as I usually do not like to look at the hint until after I've looked at least once for the cache. Any help would be appreciated.

So I just got a new GPS and I am loving it! However, I have noticed that when I look at the cache information page that there is a screen to view the cache hint. My question is this, do I have to manually input the hint or is there a way to download it when I download the waypoints. I have not figured out how to get the terrain, altitude, or difficulty level as well. I would love to be able to download the info as I usually do not like to look at the hint until after I've looked at least once for the cache. Any help would be appreciated.

Generally you can "check mark" numerous caches in a displayed page and then download the checked caches into a .loc file to you computer. You will need some software like EasyGPS or GSAK for PC to talk to GPS....

You will have to upload USB driver for USB connection between GPS and PC befor you try to do any transfers...

You use EasyGPS or GSAK to up load the information in the .loc file into GPS unit.

EasyGPS does not download to GPS the "hint" or graphics on cache page just the cache name and coordinates.... Some of us just print out cache page if we want hard copy of cache description. Check out "printer friendly" option.........

This information is by no means the ultimate, there are many option as to software and premium memberships and a lot of "other" things........

This is just to get you started...

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

I have an Explorist 400 and I use GPS Babel (http://www.gpsbabel.org/) to convert the .gpx file I get from Geocaching.com into a .gs file needed for the Explorist.

When you attach your Explorist to the computer and then turn on the Explorist, it should show up as 'Removable Storage'. When you open the mounted Explorist storage you should see a Geocaches folder.

Copy the .gs file to the Geocaches folder on the Explorist. The .gs file will have all the cache information you are looking for, even the hint (if there is one).

I have an Explorist 400 and I use GPS Babel (http://www.gpsbabel.org/) to convert the .gpx file I get from Geocaching.com into a .gs file needed for the Explorist.

When you attach your Explorist to the computer and then turn on the Explorist, it should show up as 'Removable Storage'. When you open the mounted Explorist storage you should see a Geocaches folder.

Copy the .gs file to the Geocaches folder on the Explorist. The .gs file will have all the cache information you are looking for, even the hint (if there is one).

Blairt- can I get the info using the Magellan Geocache Manager Program? It will already give me the following info: cache name, cache ID, owner, waypoints, and type of cache. Then there is room for the following: date placed, date last found, difficulty, terrain, and hint. It would be great if I could use this program since funds are a little short.

Blairt- can I get the info using the Magellan Geocache Manager Program? It will already give me the following info: cache name, cache ID, owner, waypoints, and type of cache. Then there is room for the following: date placed, date last found, difficulty, terrain, and hint. It would be great if I could use this program since funds are a little short.

GPSBabel is free and will include the hint when you convert the GPX file to a .gs Magellan eXplorist Geocaching file. Not sure if Geocache Manager will automatically populate the hint from the GPX file or if you have to manually type it in.

GPSBabel is free (as geognerd states) and is by far the easist was I have found to quickly get GPX files converted to Magellan's GS format. Download it and give it a try! If you like it send the developers of GPSBabel a little $$$. :)

Blair

The magellan geocache manager program will transfer the hint along with the other information. Make sure you have a gpx file, not a loc file.

The magellan geocache manager program will transfer the hint along with the other information. Make sure you have a gpx file, not a loc file.

Okay, so I am completely new to downloading onto the GPS. How do I convert the loc into a gpx file. Does that need to be done on the geocache website? or do I need to convert it once it is in the Magellan program ( or babbel).

We use GSAK to generate the .gs file to download to the Explorist - no problem with downloading the complete information set. The hint file is handy to have caching BUT it is only 50 characters long. It's frustrating to really need a hint and get, "[stage 1 hint:] don't worry. it isn't poisonous [s" (But what about stage 2? Is it poisonous????). Or, "[Audition Hint is encrypted as usual. In order to " (In order to what???).

Okay, so I am completely new to downloading onto the GPS. How do I convert the loc into a gpx file. Does that need to be done on the geocache website? or do I need to convert it once it is in the Magellan program ( or babbel).

You can't convert from loc to gps. If you are a premium member, so you can use pocket queries to download files of up to 500 caches in gpx format.

You can't convert from loc to gps. If you are a premium member, so you can use pocket queries to download files of up to 500 caches in gpx format.

Yeah, I tried to do a pocket querie and it still downloaded in a loc file. However, I finally noticed at the top of each cache page I can choose between loc or gpx file for download. But I don't want to download them one at a time.

Yeah, I tried to do a pocket querie and it still downloaded in a loc file. However, I finally noticed at the top of each cache page I can choose between loc or gpx file for download. But I don't want to download them one at a time.

With Pocket queries you can select either format. Make sure you have selected gpx (drop down style box) before running. Once you get the hang of it I'm sure you'll really like the pocket query feature.

So I made a new pocket querie and I did see where I should choose between loc and gpx. So I chose the gpx and created the querie. Then I went in an viewed the querie and hit "check all" for the waypoints. Then I hit the "download waypoints" and all of a sudden they were loc files again. I even went back to the querie to make sure I put in gpx and tried the whole thing again. The files are somehow in loc when I try to download them. What could I being doing wrong?

Okay, I have slightly progressed but not much. So I e-mailed the querie to myself. Then I save the querie to the Magellan Geocache Manager program. Then I try to open it and at first it is not there(when looking for gpx and loc files). So I clicked on all files and the querie was there. When I clicked on it to open it I got a "unexpected file format" warning. Still won't let me open the querie. Am I doing things in the right order? Am I having problems because I zipped the querie when I made it? I have to admit my ignorance in computers and other technology is getting me frustrated.

PS. Once I find a cache how do I delete that cache from the 400 without deleting all the caches on the GPS?

Okay, I have slightly progressed but not much. So I e-mailed the querie to myself. Then I save the querie to the Magellan Geocache Manager program. Then I try to open it and at first it is not there(when looking for gpx and loc files). So I clicked on all files and the querie was there. When I clicked on it to open it I got a "unexpected file format" warning. Still won't let me open the querie. Am I doing things in the right order? Am I having problems because I zipped the querie when I made it? I have to admit my ignorance in computers and other technology is getting me frustrated.

PS. Once I find a cache how do I delete that cache from the 400 without deleting all the caches on the GPS?

Sounds like you're getting closer. Once the query is emailed, save it to a folder on your computer, then unzip the file. Open the unzipped file with geocache manager.

Also, the transfer is limited to 200 caches, so if your pq is larger, some will be lost. But, there is no limit (other than memory) of the number of files (up to 200 caches each) you can tranfer to your unit.

You can mark caches as found on the unit, I'm not sure about deleting individually, however. I always run a fresh pq (unfound only) when I'm going caching to replace the previous file.

I would like to thank you very much for all of your advise. I have finally gotten one pq onto my gps in the gpx format. I had to leave it unzipped when making the querie. Will continue to try and do a pq with the file zipped. But.......thank you, thank you, thank you. Because of the forums I have not ripped all of the hair out of my head! :)