Best mapping program extrex legend (B&W)

Newbie Frankj3 here.........11 finds......kind of on hold with back problems.

I have an Extrex legend (the old black & white version) and I want to install a mapping program.

Trouble is I don't know which program to buy...if there is still any out there for this unit.....topo or city streets?

My unit works fine but I'd like more detail when caching or traveling. I have the cable connected to my PC and it works fine. No problems when when downloading waypoints with EasyGPS. I run XP Home Edition on my pc.

Any suggestions on software and where to buy it would be most appreciated.

Frankj3

Newbie Frankj3 here.........11 finds......kind of on hold with back problems.

I have an Extrex legend (the old black & white version) and I want to install a mapping program.

Trouble is I don't know which program to buy...if there is still any out there for this unit.....topo or city streets?

My unit works fine but I'd like more detail when caching or traveling. I have the cable connected to my PC and it works fine. No problems when when downloading waypoints with EasyGPS. I run XP Home Edition on my pc.

Any suggestions on software and where to buy it would be most appreciated.

Frankj3

Probably Topo is your best choice, followed by Metroguide if you want street detail. It would seem a waste to spend the extra money on routing software like City Navigator that your Legend can't make use of. Metroguide has the same maps, just not the autrouting capability. Whatever you choose, you won't get a lot of maps in 8MB of memory. Google to find the best prices. I find Amazon a good compromise between price and quick, reliable service.

I have a Legend sitting here as a spare and it has Roads and Recreation on it. I can get about 2/3 of PA on the unit. R and R is discontinued, but you might be able to find a used copy on eBay. It doesn't require an unlock code. It is good for rural areas where the roads haven't changed much, not so good where there has been road construction in the last 15 years.

Edit to add: I put R and R on my newer unit along with the routing maps because it has a lot more dirt roads, lakes and streams on it than the road maps. I am sure Topo is just as good in that regard.

Edited by Klatch

Since your unit has only 8MB of memory, and won't "autoroute" I would recommend you buy Garmin Metroguide for roads. Garmin's Topo USA would be the way to go for topo maps. Topo has some road information, but the roads are often unlabled and the data is pretty old (think USGS 1:100,000 topo maps circa 1980). The topographical information is great, though.

I think the previous posters are giving excellent advice.

If money is a factor (you didn't hurt your back lifting gold bars, did you? :) you may want to consider used versions of the topo/MG, or even try to scrounge up some free maps out there.

Then use the money you save to buy some analgesic off basic cable:

BackOn! Apply directly to back!

etc

:-)

I crushed my T-1 back in the Army, so I know that back pain isn't as much fun as looks. Get well soon.

Hey I just bought the eTrex Legend too.

I am not so much interested in putting topo maps ON the GPS unit as I ma having a good map program to run on my pc that I can then export waypoints to the GPS.

Any thoughts? Are there any free map programs with good detail or do I have to buy something?