glennk721 Operation Spreading Sunshine !

glennk721

Something tells me this is going to be a war (er, friendly game) of attrition. Jayman's NJ isn't the first coin to jump to a different state.

Hello to everyone , Not to worry about coins moving out of state, there was hopes that coins would remain in the states they were dropped, but in reality many who cache will pick up a traveler and not know the "state" mission involved. In the end run miles total miles and caches will still apply as it would not be fair to eliminate anyone involved. :huh:

Note to self "self" If another mission is at hand drill and attach the mission to ALL travelers :unsure:

I may have to add the most States visited and the fastest muggled coin to the mission/race/cointest :angry:

Degai Posted Today, 08:50 PM

At least you still have your coins in circulation! Mine went missing as soon as it was released!

You have a new traveler on the way :rolleyes:

Good luck to all involved. Untill I visit again Glenn

Greetings again, Tomorrow I will be posting a compromise as the coins that travel out of state could take a hugh advantage in miles jump to make the cointest fair to the folks that placed a coin that does not travel out of state. This will mean more winners in a new category for out of state travelers :unsure:

Stay tuned , Glenn :rolleyes:

Edited by glennk721

I'M SICK!!!! I decided to check the cache I had put my coin in (#24) because I didn't notice any movement since I originally placed it on June 9th. Much to my dismay, the coin was gone! No one signed the log after me. I couldn't believe it. I certainly hope it is just someone who hasn't logged it, but since no one signed the log, my gut tells me, my coin is gone. If it appears, I will keep you posted. For now, I am just sick and depressed. ;):D:DB);):D:DB):sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Hello, This happens with travelers sometimes and yes it's sad but not to be upset ;) . It will be my pleasure to send you a new coin. I have your address, so be on the lookout for a replacment coin to continue in this race/cointest, and if the original Operation Sunshine coin shows up that's all good as well . Just means another coin in a cache for people to enjoy. Glenn

Hey Glenn,

I just got your geotag in the mail today-totally awesome and the first geotag I have seen up close and personal. I "grabbed" it from you, now what do I do? :)

Greetings again, Tomorrow I will be posting a compromise as the coins that travel out of state could take a hugh advantage in miles jump to make the cointest fair to the folks that placed a coin that does not travel out of state. This will mean more winners in a new category for out of state travelers :D

Stay tuned , Glenn ;)

Sorry for the delay in posting, as you know I have not been up to snuff ;)

Ok here is the current issue at hand, do to the nature of caching there is nothing "WE" can do to make sure a coin will stay in the state it was released.

"SO"

All coins that remain in the states will continue to remain in the same race standings of most caches visited and most miles traveled.

Coins that wander out of the given state they were placed in originaly will be granted additional prizes for their independent accomplishments. along the way in a "out of state" most miles traveled and caches visited .

Hence there will be 4 "sets" of winners.

For the most part the given coins have only crossed boarders, none have hopped on a jet and traveled a vast distance one never knows though.

In the end all people will walk away with a smile at the completion of this venture the last day in September , Knowing a coin is in a cache for the community, and the fun in watching them travel. Thank you all for placing a coin in each state for me, and continued good luck with the mission. Fondly, Glenn

Hey Glenn,

I just got your geotag in the mail today-totally awesome and the first geotag I have seen up close and personal. I "grabbed" it from you, now what do I do? :)

Greetings, Place it in a cache and the race/cointest for you will start, Good luck, Glenn

Thanks for the info, Glenn, and thanks for the Geotag. I'll get this one out tomorrow. I just hope it travels this time, instead of being taken! :laughing:

Any idea when #1 (SC) will be dropped? I've been keeping an eye on it, but it has yet to be put into a cache. :lol:

I volunteer to place one in SC if the current deal falls through. :lol:

Greetings, I have emailed anyone that has a coin from me and has yet to drop it. Including the SC coin. Thanks for the offer lets see what the next week brings !

Glenn

Unless I missed something, it looks like RI (#46) is in the lead for number of caches visited, with a grand total of 11! Next closest only has 5!

Make that 15 caches!

The count is 25 now, but it looks like one of the International coins is *way* ahead of that! Time for use Vo Dilanders to kick it into gear!

Unless I missed something, it looks like RI (#46) is in the lead for number of caches visited, with a grand total of 11! Next closest only has 5!

Make that 15 caches!

The count is 25 now, but it looks like one of the International coins is *way* ahead of that! Time for use Vo Dilanders to kick it into gear!

Aw dude - half those caches are from one cacher dipping! Not against the rules of course. Don't mind me, just wondering when MA coin #6 is going to be picked up from its 2nd cache, where it was been for a month. :laughing:

Greetings, Sorry for my lack of presence, still under the weather, Stopped in for a brief update.

rasj Posted Jul 4 2007, 04:17 PM

Any idea when #1 (SC) will be dropped? I've been keeping an eye on it, but it has yet to be put into a cache.

I volunteer to place one in SC if the current deal falls through.

Rasj, The SC coin has been placed in a cache <_<

~tasia~ Posted Yesterday, 11:49 AM

My mileage hasn't updated...

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...cd-bf28fedbc798

Tasia, I updated the milage, not sure why Groundspeak is not doing it, I am going to be quite busy come the end of September :laughing:

BBWolf+3Pigs Posted Today, 09:09 PM

The count is 25 now, but it looks like one of the International coins is *way* ahead of that! Time for use Vo Dilanders to kick it into gear

Yes International #10 has been on a cache run indeed, seems one person is running thier personal milage with it, Oh well yet another catagory for a winner, the person that moved it to the most caches ? :laughing::laughing:

Theseus Posted Today, 09:43 PM

Aw dude - half those caches are from one cacher dipping! Not against the rules of course. Don't mind me, just wondering when MA coin #6 is going to be picked up from its 2nd cache, where it was been for a month.

Theseus, Go try to move that coin to a higher traffic area <_<

Once again good luck to all, Glenn

<snip>

Yes International #10 has been on a cache run indeed, seems one person is running thier personal milage with it, Oh well yet another catagory for a winner, the person that moved it to the most caches ? :laughing::laughing:

<snip>

As the cacher who placed this coin I'd better add some information here.

I live in an infrequently visited area as far as geocachers go, and I was worried that my coin might not have much luck.

I put it in a cache on a main highway to give it the best chance.

By a totally unexpected bit of good luck it was picked up (on the day I placed it!) by a geocacher (who I don't know) who was on a long trip.

When I emailed my thanks to her for picking it up, it turned out she didn't even realise that the coin was in a contest!

She is only dipping the coin into caches she is finding on the trip (which I think ends soon).

And after all, the coin's only visited 59 caches and gone over 800 miles so far . . . :laughing:

Added in edit: Would others be happier if it was specified that it only counts if the coin is put into a cache and stays there until another cacher picks it up?

Edited by Bunya

Added in edit: Would others be happier if it was specified that it only counts if the coin is put into a cache and stays there until another cacher picks it up?

Greetings, When I started this cointest I did not set very stringent rules except that virtual (arm chair) logging would not be in the spirit of the game , at this point there will be no "new" rules implemented :P

I think it's wonderful the coin you placed has traveled so far and to so many caches. My post was more in jest about yet another aspect of the travels , IE:: Cache run coins , Coins not moving at all, coins being muggled from the cache they were placed, coins moving out of the states they were ment to travel.

This is all part of coins traveling in the wild. In the end of this cointest I am sure that everyone who participated will conclude that the most important part of this project is to have more coins traveling in the wild for many to enjoy, and there will be prizes awarded for accompleshments, and a few more then I had planned.

Travel on my little Sunshine coins :D

Okay, I have now seen one of my all time favorite geocoin logs!!

oforfungrandma1 retrieved glennk721 Operation Spreading Sunshine Blazing Sun Micro #12 (Blazing Sun Micro Geocoin) from Curbside Banker at 7/27/2007

Log Date: 7/27/2007

My grandson, Tanner and I had fun finding this cache and were delighted to find this geocoin. When Tanner was looking at the coin and the red ring begin to sparkle in the sun he told me that it made him very happy. That is what this is all about.

I went to check on #38 here in WY since it has been stagnant for a month. It appears to have disappeared with no log trace at all! :D:D Guess we are out of it! ;)

Greets , This coin was picked up 6/23 , I send a gentle email reminder to the party that picked it up to please get the coin on the move, Lets hope for the best, Glenn

Massachusetts coin #6 was picked up on July 5 by a relative noob and not logged. I sent a friendly email offering to help with the logging process but no response yet.

Hey, is there a prize for fewest number of caches visited...? :D

Speaking of prizes...

Geopooch

Theseus, You were second close. You get a runners up GeoTag as well your choice of either finish once in hand ;)

Thanks again to everyone . Glenn

If you still have an extra GeoTag laying around (perhaps under the geocat) I'd gladly send it out for the world to see...

Thanks again for the Operation, Glenn. :D

Massachusetts coin #6 was picked up on July 5 by a relative noob and not logged. I sent a friendly email offering to help with the logging process but no response yet.

Hey, is there a prize for fewest number of caches visited...? :D

Speaking of prizes...

Geopooch

Theseus, You were second close. You get a runners up GeoTag as well your choice of either finish once in hand ;)

Thanks again to everyone . Glenn

If you still have an extra GeoTag laying around (perhaps under the geocat) I'd gladly send it out for the world to see...

Thanks again for the Operation, Glenn. :D

Well I am terrably sorry, Please send me your shipping addy through my email in profile your email bounced back, will get it out in todays mail, please include the finish you would like. , Glenn

Edited by glennk721

I went to check on #38 here in WY since it has been stagnant for a month. It appears to have disappeared with no log trace at all! :D:D Guess we are out of it! :(

Greets , This coin was picked up 6/23 , I send a gentle email reminder to the party that picked it up to please get the coin on the move, Lets hope for the best, Glenn

Yeah!! Off and running again! And into one of my own caches no less! :D

Greetings to everyone, First off sorry for not updating this thread sooner. Operation Sunshine will come to a end at 12 Midnight this evening, I will not be up at this hour to post the winners of this cointest at that time, so final results will be tabulated tomorrow any movments past midnight will not be included in final counts !

So far these are the mileage standings as of this moment in time :

International Operation Sunshine Operation Sunshine coin #10 placed by Bunya and traveled 2040 miles :D

State side Standings are :

Operation Sunshine coin # 31 placed by Team_Talisman , including a hop out of State and back 2881 miles :D

And the coin with the most miles within the given State without leaving Operation Sunshine coin #15 Placed by tsunrisebey traveling 765 miles :)

NOTE: These miles could change by the end of today !

As for most caches visited I am tabulating them now, and will be posted along with final results tomorrow to allow for changes that may happen with final caches visited along with miles that may change ,

I wish to thank everone involved in placeing a coin in every State for me, and International. Glenn :)

Edited by glennk721

Greetings to everyone, Operation has been quite a success and has ended Midnight last night. The primary goal to place coins in caches most important of all, and the pleasure to have so many people help place coins in the wild for me ! It has been fantastic to read the logs. Photos along the way, Special moments from folks that logged the coins as they were moved along.. It has been a pleasure to read the logs and have this involvement with the Geocaching Community. I thank you all !

Now onward to the winners of this COINTEST !

International Operation Sunshine #10 2040 miles AND 61 caches Bunya Wins Both Most Miles, AND Most Caches Visited in the International Competition Prize winning 4 GeoTags 2 Each Finish !

Operation Sunshine #15 Most Miles Within State 765 Miles Traveled Coin Released by tsunrisebey Prize Winning 2 GeoTags 1 Each Finish

Operation Sunshine #31 Most Miles with a hop Out Of State And Returned 2881 Miles placed by Team_Talisman Prize Winning 2 GeoTags 1 Each Finish

Operation Sunshine #46 Most Caches Visited In A Single State QTY 67 Caches Coin placer BBWolf+3Pigs Prize Winning 2 GeoTags 1 Each Finish

Operation Sunshine #23 Bonus Prize !! For Visiting The Original Stash Cache How cool is that ! Operation Spreading Sunshine touched the beginning of Geocaching ! Coin placed by PhantomTech Prize of 1 GeoTag for the very special cache stop along the way ,

I need the folks mentioned above as prize winners to please drop me a note and or I will be in contact with you for your mailing address : - )

Congratulations to everyone if you won a prize or not. Everyone that placed a coin is a winner from within for helping to get more coins out into caches for the Geocaching Community to enjoy since the beginning of this cointest and that can continue to travel for the enjoyment of many Miles and Smiles . Sincerely, Glenn

Edited by glennk721

You liddle bewdy! :ph34r:

As I mentioned before, I live in an infrequently visited area as far as geocachers go, and I was worried that my coin might not have much luck.

I put it in a cache on a main highway to give it the best chance.

By a totally unexpected bit of good luck it was picked up (on the day I placed it!) by a geocacher (who I don't know) who was on a long trip.

When I emailed my thanks to her for picking it up, it turned out she didn't even realise that the coin was in a contest!

Without me having asked her to, she dipped the coin into most of the caches she found on the trip.

I’ll share the prize with her. :(

Thanks Glenn for running this great contest. :o

I may have to add the most States visited and the fastest muggled coin to the mission/race/cointest ;)

I guess Ours would be in the running for the fastest muggled - it was stolen the same day I put it out there... July 9th! B)

~J

I think we may be tied for that one! My Spreading the Sunshine coin was muggled and then Glenn sent a Geotag and I have no clue where that went either! GRRRRRRRR :):)

Thank you, Glenn for the wonderful contest! It was a lot of fun to be included in this. I hope to one day see one of these coins again. :D

Edited by Degai
Nochipra,

I can see future cointests sure, :sad:

tsunrisebey

Since I had your address your GeoTags went in the mail yesterday, Can you please just activate them and set them free ? More coins in caches is a great thing ;)

To the folks where coins went missing, I am sorry you did not have the pleasure of watching the travels and or logs along the way. Setting coins free into the wild has it's risks, Overall the ratio was not large, just frustrating.

BBWolf+3Pigs your Geotags shipped today :D

Bunya, Your International mail will go out Monday :lol:

Team_Talisman & PhantomTech, Please drop me a note through my profile with your mailing addy, I will also send you another email through your profiles as I have not heard anything back as of yet.

Thanks again to all that participated, Glenn