make a headstone

I've got an idea for a cache, assuming I can get permission. Make a fake headstone and under it (or near it in a vase or something) is the cache itself.

What would be the best method to make a fake headstone? I'm not wanting a big tall one, just a small stone that is basically a plaque on the ground (if you understand what I'm talking about).

The only way I can think of is to make a wooden mold and pour concrete into it, then chisel out the words. That seems like it would be a lot of work.

I want something that will fit in and that will withstand the elements.

A fake gravestone now where would that fit in. Unfortunately this could have the capacity to offend relatives. It may also encourage cachers to interfere with or turn over stones and memorials close to yours. Always ask yourself if it would make a good newspaper headline or how easy it would be to explain to an angry relative or law enforcement officer. Maybe on it's own in an isolated spot however.

A fake gravestone now where would that fit in. Unfortunately this could have the capacity to offend relatives. It may also encourage cachers to interfere with or turn over stones and memorials close to yours. Always ask yourself if it would make a good newspaper headline or how easy it would be to explain to an angry relative or law enforcement officer. Maybe on it's own in an isolated spot however.

The cemetery I have in mind has an undeveloped section across the road from the main cemetery. It's big enough for about 10 or 15 plots, but has thus far not been used. I could place the cache over here, so it would be off by itself. Also, it would be obvious that this is a cache, to those in the know, from reading the description.

There is a cache in an AZ cemetery which is a simple small cross with the name Geo Cache on it. It is also far way from the real head stones. My point is, it can be done but it needs to be tasteful and obvious. I would think that you are not going for obvious which could cause the problems that the others have pointed out. It is, however, not too uncommon to come across a lone headstone or two in the woods ;-)

you know, as a little thought bite for ya...

on our drive from michigan to home in indana, there is this cemetary that you pass on 24. it overlooks a bend in the river and is really a nice old cemetary. however, there is one headstone off by it's lonesome and in the most scenic spot i have ever seen for a grave. it's like something out of a movie. so maybe if you could find something like that, and place the cache off of cemetary prop but so that it still is connected phsychologically. ya know what i mean, vern??

I'm afraid to admit this, but I hid something like this called "Scardy Cache." GCYNT2. I did it around Halloween, and bought this fake plastic headstone (1'x2') at Wally World. The coolest thing about it was that it played screaming sounds when you got near it (motion activated). The theme of the hide was to dedicate a cache to all those geocache hides that have been muggled or "killed" over the years. I hid it in a Euless city park behind a big oak tree. It was a big hit with those who found it, but I archived it when I moved from Texas to Arizona. I don't see anything disrespectful about doing it this way, and it was lot's of fun to do!

Having worked with concrete I know you can let it start to harden and carve the letters in it before it is completly dry OR you could cut them out of wood and mount on a board for proper spacing ect... You would want to put an oil on the wood to keep the concrete from sticking or possibly a thick coat of varnish might help. If you use a form be sure to tap it all around with a hammer to settle the concrete so you don't have holes to patch. anther idea I thought would be neat is to make the letters with embedded stones or pebbles.. good luck

For $15 or $20 you could buy a small marble headstone at LillianVernon.com. They're meant for pets, but you can put anything you want on them up to two lines. It would be perfect. I bought one when our cocker spaniel died. I got the $20 one and was pleased with it. It's been out in our yard for about 5 years and has held up really well. As others have said, just be EXTREMELY careful in choosing your hiding spot. Happy Caching!

Edited by swaninwa

I've got an idea for a cache, assuming I can get permission. Make a fake headstone and under it (or near it in a vase or something) is the cache itself.

What would be the best method to make a fake headstone? I'm not wanting a big tall one, just a small stone that is basically a plaque on the ground (if you understand what I'm talking about).

The only way I can think of is to make a wooden mold and pour concrete into it, then chisel out the words. That seems like it would be a lot of work.

You wouldn't be talking of needing a sharp pointy stick or other digging implement to create a hole in the ground under said stone, would you? That would be a bad idea in a real cemetery, never-minding the Guideline prohibition against digging to place or find caches.

Neat idea though, if you make a secret compartment inside the tombstone itself. Make it out of wood, seal it and put a watertight box inside.

And place it anywhere but a real cemetery. Guaranteed that the next time the trustees go mowing the lawn they run over it because they don't know it is there, especially if it is laying down. Concrete, metal and/or wood in the blades of a lawnmower will make a very angry caretaker.

Edited by New England n00b

We have geocachers taking apart real sprinkler heads and electrical boxes because they've found caches in fake ones. Last thing we need are geocachers tampering with heads stones in cemeteries.

Also, how would you set it in the ground without digging since digging is not allowed byt the guidelines.

Edited by briansnat

You could also make it out of foam insulation sheets, carving the words into it. Then use a product like Fleckstone (a spray product that looks like sandstone or such).

I may just have to steal this idea! :)

Make it a puzzle cache, and title it "The Answer, My Friend, Is Blowing (away) In The Wind). <_<

I don't think geocaching.com allows moving caches. :laughing:

Here in New England, you find old family cemeteries all over the place, in some very out of the way places. Even deep in the middle of the woods in Wildlife Management Areas.

This idea would work very well here, especially if you make a couple of markers, with even a broken one or one that was knocked over. Set it back from an infrequently used trail, and you got yourself an "instant family plot".

My working title is "I told you I was sick", and of course, that is what would be on the marker!

There is a cache in my area that is similar to what you describe. The name of the cache is the same as the name on the headstone. The cache is an ammo can under the headstone, but it is in a very old cemetary. The cemetary hasn't been used for a very long time, it is in the woods, and not maintained. I thought it was a great idea for a cache. One other thing, the cache isn't acctually in what was the cemetary, but very close.

I believe I once read that in Massachusetts and Maine it is Illegal to own a headstone that's not in a graveyard.

If you find one in the woods, it's not yours and the historical society of the community can do some research for you.

Someone once stole, and it still is missing, not a headstone but a mile marker that Ben Franklin placed a few hundred years ago. There are, or were, nearly one every mile from around Ft Ticonderoga NY to Bunker Hill in Boston along the Knox trail. Many have been identified by my brother and by a resident of Warren. A web link to one resource is http://www.samnet.net/esso/Fmm.htm. As for Knox trail info try going here http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/services/KnoxTra...tlocations.html

My brother and I once discovered a gravestone that was on the other side of a highway from a cemetary. A distance of some 550 feet. Apparently when the highway was put in, most but not all stones were moved.

My brother and I once discovered a gravestone that was on the other side of a highway from a cemetary. A distance of some 550 feet. Apparently when the highway was put in, most but not all stones were moved.

I sure hope they moved the residents and not JUST the stones. <_<

On-topic, there's a local cache that uses a grave marker as part of it. It's a flat stone tombstone that blends in quite nicely on the edge of the cemetery. It was one of my kids' favorite caches ever. They had a blast walking through the cemetery looking at different information for the cache and just checking out other markers.

I didn't find anything disrespectful in the fact that we were a family walking through a cemetery, learning about some of the people who are there. Oh, we happened to be geocaching too.

edit to fix a typo

Edited by KoosKoos

Some states are trying to outlaw caching in cemetaries. I think this would give us ALL a bad name (unless of course it is out in the middle of the woods or something.I like cemetary caches but I would NEVER poke around a grave or a stone.I know my Dad has alot of interesting things on his grave and I would not like to see someone messing with his leprechaun or things my granddaughters have left there. I do have a cache in the cemetary across from his grave up in a big tree and that is close enough. All you would need is a family member driving up while you are strip searching Uncle Al! :laughing: