Trampled plantlife around a cache

Just wanted to pick your brains :P

I have a cache which has proved quite popular. In fact so popular that there is now a very obvious trail leading to the cache. Its in a wooded spinney and the trail now looks like a regular footpath ending at a tree which could draw unwanted attention.

I don't want to draw attention to my cache (also making it too easy to find for cachers!) nor do I want the plant life being destroyed around it, so what should I do - post a notice on the cache page to remind people to take care or temporarily disable it to attempt to get the plantlife to grow over the caching trail-although this may take some time :)

maybe move it to a less sensitive area if there is one nearby?

it's pretty normal for cachers to destroy an area, especially if the cache is small or hidden well in the woods.

my gf calls this the "nerd trail" since older caches almost always have a well-defined trail leading right to them in the woods.

Besides the trampling of plant life, the biggest problem is soil compaction. If you have a noticeable path to the cache it may be too late already. It may take several years for that area to recover so disabling the cache may not be the answer and moving it to another location will just cause the same thing to happen there. At this point I'd either leave it or achieve it.

I can go one better. I put a new cache out, about 100-150mtrs from a fire trail, up a hill, near the base of a small cliff. The first person who went to find it, injured their back somehow and had to be "rescued". On the afternoon that he did that, the local rescue squad and fire department were having a practice exercise nearby. Approx 30-40 rescue people turned up to get him out on a stretcher. They cut a track 6 feet wide from the road straight to the base of the cliff. Talk about your caching tracks!!

I disabled it, and went back there a few weeks later to actually have a look, and it was just horrible. I took a metal headed rake with me and raked as much of the vegetation back over the track that had been cut to help the ground start to recover. Must go back and see how it's going soon.

even though i don't have any hides as of yet, and really haven't been caching all that long, i would go with archiving. i mean, unless its some cache that people have been going nuts over, and has really caused a stir, i think there are plenty of other caches around, without causing permanent damage to the area. just my 2 cents

Just wanted to pick your brains :laughing:

I have a cache which has proved quite popular. In fact so popular that there is now a very obvious trail leading to the cache. Its in a wooded spinney and the trail now looks like a regular footpath ending at a tree which could draw unwanted attention.

I don't want to draw attention to my cache (also making it too easy to find for cachers!) nor do I want the plant life being destroyed around it, so what should I do - post a notice on the cache page to remind people to take care or temporarily disable it to attempt to get the plantlife to grow over the caching trail-although this may take some time :)

You can always move the cache a short distance away, rather than disable it. Many people routinely move their caches around a bit to keep trails from forming.

How long it will take for nature to reclaim the trail that has formed largely depends on your local environment. Around here, you can practically watch a trail be reclaimed. In much more sensitive environments, it may take an entire season.

A little trampled grass is no big deal, but if you are seeing a compacted, plantless treadway developing, I would move it to a new spot. Disabling it for a few months won't change anything. The plant life that grows back will only get repeat treatment once it's re-activated.

I've found that the closer a cache is to parking or a trail, the more likely this is to happen. The further away from easy access a cache is the less likely geocachers are to follow the same route. This spreads out impact and gives the area time to recover.

A little trampled grass is no big deal, but if you are seeing a compacted, plantless treadway developing, I would move it to a new spot. Disabling it for a few months won't change anything. The plant life that grows back will only get repeat treatment once it's re-activated.

I've found that the closer a cache is to parking or a trail, the more likely this is to happen. The further away from easy access a cache is the less likely geocachers are to follow the same route. This spreads out impact and gives the area time to recover.

so THATS why all of your caches require at least a half mile of bushwack :)

Just wanted to pick your brains :laughing:

I don't want to draw attention to my cache (also making it too easy to find for cachers!) nor do I want the plant life being destroyed around it, so what should I do - post a notice on the cache page to remind people to take care or temporarily disable it to attempt to get the plantlife to grow over the caching trail-although this may take some time :laughing:

If you feel it's time to let the area recover, archive the cache. You won't see the results of your efforts for a year or two so disabling it isn't viable since it would take so long to see results.

I would Archive the cache and place another one adjacent to the trail, if possible.

In an area recently devastated by a wildfire, I placed four caches along the four-mile loop. To limit enviromental impact, I placed each one so it can be reached while standing on the trail. Admittedly, these are not ammo cans (although one is a cookie tin). They provide a cache to find along a trail that has been fascinating to walk this spring as the wildflowers have appeared. :laughing:

I have another cache I need to move because a "Geotrail" appeared, even though the cache got few visits. When I retrieve the Regular-size container, I hope to place an Altoids tin under a small, natural-looking pile of rocks at the edge of the trail where cachers will still see the same view, but they will not trample the vegetation.

Thank you guys, lots of food for thought there :laughing:

The cache wont be seen by most muggles with exception of those who bushwhack their way through the trees for whatever reason. The trail itself cuts through the ivy that's growing on the floor of the Spinney. I don't think the trail will recover quickly so instead I will look for a new location to place it. Its popular because its part of a series of caches that encourages people to take a break from very long car journeys and take a walk. Some people have been driving non-stop for four hours and often grab a coffee from the nearby cafe and walk on over, pleased to cache as a break. I'd rather see this continue than archive it :laughing:

As for what Team Webguy went through, I don't think I can beat that!

My friend Alibags had a cache by Bunsfield, the UK oil and fuel depot that blew up last year. Amazingly it survived intact and Alibags found it covered in soot (it was a plastic container) :laughing:

Hehehe. I have a micro (pet ID tag) hanging on a fire plug by our favorite pet shop with intent to get people to come and play with the puppies and kittens up for adoption. Last month it was hit by a car and completely destroyed. So when they put up a new plug I replaced it, but turns out it was a temp. So I went to find a brand new plug and my cache gone again. :laughing: I started to put out a third container when I noticed something on the plug chain. My original container! This was the plug that was hit by the car only repainted and repaired!!! Best of all they painted my container with the yellow plasticy paint they paint the hydrant with. Now no one can find it cause its so super camoed. I love it!

But OT of your cache. I would move it to another spot or if you feel the area can not support the cache any longer I'd archive it and replace elsewhere. I am glad to see you are concerned for the environment though.

Agree.. place them a couple hundred yards from the nearest trail and everyone will have to pick their own unique route. Of course if you are in certian areas of New York state I understand that's not allowed. :laughing:

Of course if you are in certian areas of New York state I understand that's not allowed. :laughing:

I live south of Nottingham in England and you'd be amazed where people place their caches. I have urban caches placed on medieval sites and have had people moan at me for them being micros. I can't place anything bigger due to UK heritage laws. Honestly, you can't win with some people! :laughing:

Agree.. place them a couple hundred yards from the nearest trail and everyone will have to pick their own unique route. Of course if you are in certian areas of New York state I understand that's not allowed. :laughing:

A large open-space park here allows caches, but they must be close to the trail to avoid creating paths. The fine for walking off the trail is very expensive. :laughing: