Cache Permanence

I have just visited a cache in my hurry to gain my 1st First to Find but could not find it :P

I looked at the Cachers profile, and have noted that they have an annoying habit of setting a cache, then archiving it within weeks. Having recently read the Cache setting guidelines, it states the following with regards to permanence

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be published. If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.

We realize that it is possible that a planned long-term cache occasionally becomes finite because of concerns with the environment, missing or plundered caches, or the owner’s decision to remove the cache for other valid reasons. Please do your best to research fully, hide wisely, and maintain properly for a long cache life.

Why is this Cacher setting caches which last less than a month, it is very annoying :)

Pippa

I have just visited a cache in my hurry to gain my 1st First to Find but could not find it :P

I looked at the Cachers profile, and have noted that they have an annoying habit of setting a cache, then archiving it within weeks. Having recently read the Cache setting guidelines, it states the following with regards to permanence

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be published. If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.

We realize that it is possible that a planned long-term cache occasionally becomes finite because of concerns with the environment, missing or plundered caches, or the owner’s decision to remove the cache for other valid reasons. Please do your best to research fully, hide wisely, and maintain properly for a long cache life.

Why is this Cacher setting caches which last less than a month, it is very annoying :)

Pippa

I think I know the cache to which you refer, Samson and Delilah, by a cacher called S7000, I have been informed that this cacher is actually another local cacher, who is setting these caches.

As for the permanence, they usually only last a short time as you say, maybe the mods could deal with this issue. Personally I never go to any of these caches, as you don't know if they have been pulled from one minute to the next.

I think I know the cache to which you refer, Samson and Delilah, by a cacher called S7000, I have been informed that this cacher is actually another local cacher, who is setting these caches.

As for the permanence, they usually only last a short time as you say, maybe the mods could deal with this issue. Personally I never go to any of these caches, as you don't know if they have been pulled from one minute to the next.

Yes that is the cacher! Are they renowned for this annoying trait?

I'm currently waiting for the cache owner to contact me over this cache.

When a reviewer publishes a cache it is in good faith that it will remain active for the minimum of 90 days as required by the guidelines. Unfortunately as volunteers with an already heavy workload, it is impossible to watch every cache published, or look into the profile of every cache placer each time they submit a cache for review.

We do however deal with every cache issue which is brought to our attention. The quickest and most affective way is to contact one of us directly with the issue.

Speaking as someone who's actually done several of S7000's caches, I've thoroughly enjoyed them and in my opinion all but one were inventive hides in good locations. Some of them had a fairly high DNF ratio, but does this make them suspicious or just challenging?

I've no idea why they were suddenly all pulled, which was indeed odd, or whether or not the account is a sock puppet. Time will tell.

I could point out that there was just as much speculation about the OP not so long ago... but then admitting that she may not exist would mean that I have to face up to the fact that I'm never going to bump into her while out caching. Which would be a great disappointment.

Just wondering if the cache placer is using it as a way to get around the rules on placing caches that say they should not have a commercial / religious instruction type orientation?

Tho' I could be barking up the wrong tree. Won't be the first time, :) and won't be the last!

Oh! I missed that one, strictly having never been involved in any religion I can understand the reasons for this. This is context which is mainly Christian, Jewish and Muslim, appearing in each religions relevant books. But there are many world religions, that do not preach any of the text on the cache page, and it could offend these people.

Personally, I think your game, and religion should never meet, with the exception of football which is a religion and game in its own right. :laughing:

A sock puppet account posted to the cache page concerned first thing this morning. Hobbies were flying her private jet or something and the log was along the lines of seeing some "pillocks" at the cache site as she was coming into land (the cache is right under the runway 24R approach path to Manchester Airport).

The log has since been removed.

Who?

A sock puppet account posted to the cache page concerned first thing this morning. Hobbies were flying her private jet or something and the log was along the lines of seeing some "pillocks" at the cache site as she was coming into land (the cache is right under the runway 24R approach path to Manchester Airport).

Who?

Oh. Thank you.

Sensei, have a look at colourbox's profile, and see if you can work out why some many people are keen to see caching photos of her.

I have already, SP but I didn't know to whom you were referring to initially.

I don't want to see caching photo's of Colourbox

I'd like to meet her!!!

<_<

Frankly, I am surprised anyone commanding a jet on short finals to land would have the time to bother looking for potential muggles or cachers at a cache site below.

How does one differentiate between pillocks and cachers when only judging with a birds eye view I wonder?

That said, was the wind in the right direction for Manchester to be using runway 24R yesterday morning?

There will be, by law, a record of all aircraft activity at the airport yesterday morning ...

Just a few casual observations from someone who genuinely has a PPL <_<

As the Reviewer involved I'll explain some of what has happened.

First I was the person who removed the note posted by the account which appears to be a Sock Puppet, I emailed the account owner to explain why.

Secondly after discussing the cache with others in private, I have unarchived and enabled it.

Thirdly I have had direct contact with S7000 so do not believe that this account is a Sock Puppet.

As for Colourbox, I'd just remind people of another young lady who was accused of being a Sock Puppet, only for her to attend a cache event. Until evidence provides proof either way, it might be best to be careful about commenting about the Account <_< . In case you end up looking :D

:D:D

Frankly, I am surprised anyone commanding a jet on short finals to land would have the time to bother looking for potential muggles or cachers at a cache site below.

How does one differentiate between pillocks and cachers when only judging with a birds eye view I wonder?

That said, was the wind in the right direction for Manchester to be using runway 24R yesterday morning?

There will be, by law, a record of all aircraft activity at the airport yesterday morning ...

Just a few casual observations from someone who genuinely has a PPL :P

I never made this log, so don't preach me on flying, my helicopter is not even based at Manchester. Anyway now off to get a Jerryo cache, everything is booked and should have it sorted by 9am :)

BBFN

Pippa

I never made this log, so don't preach me on flying, my helicopter is not even based at Manchester. Anyway now off to get a Jerryo cache, everything is booked and should have it sorted by 9am :D

BBFN

Pippa

Perhaps you might consider taking Moote and I along on your next caching trip? I'm sure the three of us would get on like a house on fire.

I never made this log, so don't preach me on flying, my helicopter is not even based at Manchester. Anyway now off to get a Jerryo cache, everything is booked and should have it sorted by 9am :D

BBFN

Pippa

Perhaps you might consider taking Moote and I along on your next caching trip? I'm sure the three of us would get on like a house on fire.

I'm sure the three of you have a lot in common. Perhaps you could have a nice long chat about sock puppets as well as helicopters.

I never made this log, so don't preach me on flying, my helicopter is not even based at Manchester. Anyway now off to get a Jerryo cache, everything is booked and should have it sorted by 9am :blink:

BBFN

Pippa

I'm sure the three of you have a lot in common. Perhaps you could have a nice long chat about sock puppets as well as helicopters.

but moote isn't a sock puppet! I've met him! :D:D

Well, I know none of the three of us have helicopters, but we do all have a chopper!

So that just about says it all. I've been patient, perhaps too patient with all this nonsense so it stops here. :D