Pacific Crest Trail Caches

Harriet the Spy

Please inform me if I am wrong. Some of the caches listed are not on the Crest Trail. They are near by but you have to take detours and or drive nearby to get to some of them. I don't know about all of them just the ones that I have hiked to. The Skyline Series by Georoo are not on the trail nor is "Green eggs and no ham. " Green Eggs and no ham is a nearby drive by cache and the Skyline series is another nearby trail. No less worthy just not on the Crest trail. I also question that others are on the trail but I have not hiked to them so I couldn't say for sure.

Please inform me if I am wrong. Some of the caches listed are not on the Crest Trail. They are near by but you have to take detours and or drive nearby to get to some of them. I don't know about all of them just the ones that I have hiked to. The Skyline Series by Georoo are not on the trail nor is "Green eggs and no ham. " Green Eggs and no ham is a nearby drive by cache and the Skyline series is another nearby trail. No less worthy just not on the Crest trail. I also question that others are on the trail but I have not hiked to them so I couldn't say for sure.

My Bookmark list is for caches "along" the trail, not "on" the trail. You won't find any caches on the trail, so there has to be some distance criteria. I have hiked several portions of the trail, including the 27 mile stretch between Chinkook Pass and White Pass. I questioned if I was hiking the trail, how far off would I go to get a cache. I chose 1/4 mile. That may not be the same for everyone and each has to choose how far off the trail they are willing to go to find a cache. Some of the caches pages were sent to me as recommendations by others to put on the list. My only way of verification was either take their word for it, or as I have most of them, I checked using a map. I'm hoping to get some trails software for my birthday. if so, I will double check each cache on the list. If they're not along the trail using my 1/4 mile guideline, I will remove them. In the meantine I have removed Georoo's Skyline caches and Green Eggs from the list per your comments, although I felt Green Egss was close enough, being right along the highway near where the Crest Trail crosses.

Edited by The Navigatorz

My Bookmark list is for caches "along" the trail, not "on" the trail. You won't find any caches on the trail, so there has to be some distance criteria. I have hiked several portions of the trail, including the 27 mile stretch between Chinkook Pass and White Pass. I questioned if I was hiking the trail, how far off would I go to get a cache. I chose 1/4 mile. That may not be the same for everyone and each has to choose how far off the trail they are willing to go to find a cache. Some of the caches pages were sent to me as recommendations by others to put on the list. My only way of verification was either take their word for it, or as I have most of them, I checked using a map. I'm hoping to get some trails software for my birthday. if so, I will double check each cache on the list. If they're not along the trail using my 1/4 mile guideline, I will remove them. In the meantine I have removed Georoo's Skyline caches and Green Eggs from the list per your comments, although I felt Green Egss was close enough, being right along the highway near where the Crest Trail crosses.

I agree, "Green Eggs and no Ham" is just as close to the trail as the others that take a short spur off of the trail and should be left on. Is there away to put the caches that are on nearby but not connecting trails on the list as nearby with an addemdum or something. I hate to see good caches get left off the list. Can they be listed as nearby trailheads? The TH to the skyline caches is probably close to a quarter of a mile from the PCT but to my knowledge they never intersect. I only know about the six that can be accessed from the top of Stevens Pass. (included "Green Eggs and no Ham in the list")

Edited by Patudles

I agree, "Green Eggs and no Ham" is just as close to the trail as the others that take a short spur off of the trail and should be left on. Is there away to put the caches that are on nearby but not connecting trails on the list as nearby with an addemdum or something. I hate to see good caches get left off the list. Can they be listed as nearby trailheads? The TH to the skyline caches is probably close to a quarter of a mile from the PCT but to my knowledge they never intersect. I only know about the six that can be accessed from the top of Stevens Pass. (included "Green Eggs and no Ham in the list")

My birthday came early. I went to the new Mountaineer store today for the first time and they had a computer set up with Maptech Terrain Navigator. The guy there gave me a nice demonstration and afterward I reached for my wallet. Nice software for planning hikes...and geocaching. I'm going to insert the waypoints for each cache on the PCT Bookmark list and see if they qualify as "along" the Crest Trail. Perhaps Green Eggs will go back on the list.

I haven't done Bookmarks for them all YET, but I have the following in Caches along a Route(for compiling in PQ's)

Pacific Crest Trail(Master courtesy of the USFS)

Search for "PCT" under Keyword search

• Pacific Crest Trail WA
  • Pacific Crest Trail OR
  • Pacific Crest Trail Northern CA
  • Pacific Crest Trail North Central CA
  • Pacific Crest Trail South Central CA
  • Pacific Crest Trail Southern CA

Washington and Oregon PCT Caches

California PCT Caches(still under construction...)

The Steaks

I haven't done Bookmarks for them all YET, but I have the following in Caches along a Route(for compiling in PQ's)

• Pacific Crest Trail WA
  • Pacific Crest Trail OR

The Steaks

Wow, you're list looks more complete. Maybe I should archive mine.

• Pacific Crest Trail WA
  • Pacific Crest Trail OR

The Steaks

Wow, you're list looks more complete. Maybe I should archive mine.

Yeah... I have a PQ that generates whenever I click on it to tell me if I need to add ones...