City Navigator 8 Street Maps

Hi all,

I haven't encountered any missing streets in my 76CSx since loading it with City Navigator 8 maps last month, but I also haven't traveled very far from home. Today, however, I went into Mapsource to create a new route for a county-wide garden tour and found several missing sections of streets.

Now granted, Florida is growing faster than anyone can keep up with, but many of these housing subdivisions have existed for four or more years. Considering that the software release date is officially April 2006, I'm a little disappointed. I am expecting to do much more out-of-state traveling this summer and really want to rely on these maps more than paper maps.

So I decided to come here and ask you:

Are you finding many missing streets for your local areas in CN8?

Also, does anyone know when the next release is expected?

Thanks much,

CB

CLICK HERE to see my Navteq reporting experiment. It can take 18 months (or maybe more) to get new streets into the maps AFTER they are reported. It took over three years for my brother's neighborhood to get on the maps after he moved in. Bottom line is that if the map making companies don't know about the streets, they can't put them in. Once they do learn about them, it takes a while longer.

The next version of CN should hit the shelves mid to late summer.

Edited by Neo_Geo

CLICK HERE to see my Navteq reporting experiment. It can take 18 months (or maybe more) to get new streets into the maps AFTER they are reported. It took over three years for my brother's neighborhood to get on the maps after he moved in. Bottom line is that if the map making companies don't know about the streets, they can't put them in. Once they do learn about them, it takes a while longer.

Thanks Neo! That is a reasonable expectation.

Also, I found out that I wasn't zooming in enough for some neighborhoods -- not all, but enough to make the problem not nearly as bad as before. I should have tested more.

Thanks again,

Clair

I was just about to post somethng very similiar. It does seem to take about 2 years or so for streets to get into a NavTeq map for GPS. Thomas Guide (bought by Rand McNally around '99) adds street with the next printing. I guess more work has to be done for it to be in a GPS map. My Aunts street is not completed in City Navigator, but in her new Hummer and Cadillac, it's in there.

Edited by Seedillume

For what it's worth....

In my area; Eastern Canada, the latest version v8 does seem to be quite up to date, new subdivisions are on (built three years ago) however no names on the streets but my Streets & Trips (2007) is quite out of date in comparison.

I did note in Florida where we stay the winter that the subdivision extension in our park was not on either Mapsource or S&T's.

Thanks Neo! That is a reasonable expectation.

Also, I found out that I wasn't zooming in enough for some neighborhoods -- not all, but enough to make the problem not nearly as bad as before. I should have tested more.

Thanks again,

Clair