Where do I find my coins activation code?

Hobo2

:D I am new at this coin business, but I never knew how dumb/new I truly am. I found nothing in GC’s FAQ on coins that would explain how difficult it may be to find an activation code. I foolishly thought I could go ahead and buy some “tractable” coins and send them on there way. Little did I know that trying to find each coins activation code would be such a daunting task… I am still looking.

I sent a letter of thanks to each person that sent me a coin, but never kept there e-mails/information. Now I have 6 coins out of 8 that I can’t activate without the code. Two of the coins I received came with the codes inside, big thanks to the folks who do that. But the rest, why are you making it so difficult for me/us? I found the manufacturers list on GC, but now do I have to spend countless hours going through each website to try and find who made my coins so i can get the code?

Please send me a short-cut to this task if anyone knows of one. Otherwise I just don’t have the time to do coins.

B) I am new at this coin business, but I never knew how dumb/new I truly am. I found nothing in GC’s FAQ on coins that would explain how difficult it may be to find an activation code. I foolishly thought I could go ahead and buy some “tractable” coins and send them on there way. Little did I know that trying to find each coins activation code would be such a daunting task… I am still looking.

I sent a letter of thanks to each person that sent me a coin, but never kept there e-mails/information. Now I have 6 coins out of 8 that I can’t activate without the code. Two of the coins I received came with the codes inside, big thanks to the folks who do that. But the rest, why are you making it so difficult for me/us? I found the manufacturers list on GC, but now do I have to spend countless hours going through each website to try and find who made my coins so i can get the code?

Please send me a short-cut to this task if anyone knows of one. Otherwise I just don’t have the time to do coins.

Hobo!

Usually, I find that "www.coincodes.com" has a lot of the codes, unless you purchased them from oakcoins, who make a lot of coins. If the coins did come from oakcoins, then usually www.oakcoins.com/activate.psp or something like that will work. It all depends on which coins. I have a grundle of them, if you can either private mail me (I'm in SLC), through GC.com, I can help you with most I'm sure.

Steve

AKA Salty-Eagle :D

www.coincodes.com

usa geocoins, coins&pins coins and several others

www.oakcoins.com/activate

oakcoins/geoswag

www.geocoinclub.com/code.php

geocoinclub/geocoinstore/signal store & personalgeocoins.com

thecachingplace.com/ActivateCode/getcode.asp

the caching place

landsharkz.ca/coin-activation-codes.php

landsharkz coins.

most of these sites have a list of coins they have codes for.

there are other sites, im sure some other folks will chime in.

listing the coins would probably get a faster response.

oh, and This Thread has more info

Edited by Nero

Hi! Maybe you can post which coins you are looking for the activation codes?? I am sure people here would be able to tell you right away. :P

Here are the coins I need activation codes for:

Alvin’s Phone Line

3 Silver 2006 Utah coins:

1 Gold 2005 Utah Olympic Coin

2006 I Love Geocaching Coin

I sure hope you guys can help me find these. The manufacturers I feel are neglectful in not providing the codes up front. After all it is my coin now, give me the information I need so I can use it. I think they want us to come back to there sites so we will see there new stuff. But I don’t care to have this game commercialized, everything already is. This does nothing for me but leave a bad taste in my mouth for there costumer relations, and make me NOT want to mess with the hassle when I buy there product..

Here’s an idea, the first manufacturer that promises to send activation codes along with my coin, is going to be put first on my bookmark list!

PS. I did receive some of these coins as a gift (can't remember which ones now), so I am not referring to those kind folks that sent them to me. Its just the manufacturers practices I would like changed.

Edited by Hobo2

Hi! Maybe you can post which coins you are looking for the activation codes?? I am sure people here would be able to tell you right away. :P

Alvin’s Phone Line

PCxxxx

3 2006 Utah coins:

UTxxxx

UTxxxx

UTxxxx

1 2005 Olympic Coin

UTxxxx

PCxxxx

I sure hope you guys can help me find these. The manufacturers I feel are neglectful in not providing the codes up front. After all it is my coin now, give me the information I need so I can use it. I think they want us to come back to there sites so we will see there new stuff. But I don’t care to have this game commercialized, everything already is. This does nothing for me but leave a bad taste in my mouth for there costumer relations, and make me NOT want to mess with the hassle when I buy there product..

Here’s an idea, the first manufacturer that promises to send activation codes along with my coin, is going to be put first on my bookmark list!

PS. I did receive some of these coins as a gift (can't remember which ones now), so I am not referring to those kind folks that sent them to me. Its just the manufacturers practices I would like changed.

I'd edit the codes out of that right away!!! just list the coin names, not the tracking numbers!

Alvin’s Phone Line

PCxxxx

3 2006 Utah coins:

UTxxxx

UTxxxx

UTxxxx

1 2005 Olympic Coin

UTxxxx

PCxxxx

I'd edit the codes out of that right away!!! just list the coin names, not the tracking numbers!

I did it but why, what could happen?

:P I am new at this coin business, but I never knew how dumb/new I truly am. I found nothing in GC’s FAQ on coins that would explain how difficult it may be to find an activation code. I foolishly thought I could go ahead and buy some “tractable” coins and send them on there way. Little did I know that trying to find each coins activation code would be such a daunting task… I am still looking.

'GC' sells the serial numbers and activation codes to brokers, and people having coins made. What that second party does with the codes isn't something Geocaching.com controls.

Some coins have the activation code included with the coin in the slip (assuming it doesn't get lost if the coin is traded or resold). Other coins have their codes stored on various websites that you have to and retrieve the activation code. Of course there are 3? or more places that do that, and you can only get the code from the site that has that set of coins codes.

I did it but why, what could happen?

Well for one thing "I" could log the coins as found/discovered since I have the secret serial number. And if I really wanted to a nuisance since I know you haven't activated these yet, I could go retrieve your codes from those online places and activate the coin myself :P .

* I would never do such things, but your making it easy for some monkey to... if they wanted.

Alvin’s Phone Line - Comes with the coin; contact Merkman to look it up for you

3 Silver 2006 Utah coins: www.geocoinclub.com

1 Gold 2005 Utah Olympic Coin: not trackable on geocaching.com

2006 I Love Geocaching Coin: www.geocoinshop.com

My answers are above after each coin name.

I can answer you on why coins don't come with the codes. I have minted a couple of coins to sell. It is really a small operation, in which I am the shipper. What I would have to do get the codes with the coins is print out a list of all the coins with their individual codes, and then try to match them to the codes on the coin. This would take days! Keep in mind, that several of the "coin companies" are small operations, just like mine.

Also keep in mind that even if the codes were added to the coins, these get separated often during trades and re-sales. So they would have to be hosted somewhere anyway to make sure that future customers could get their coins.

Alvin’s Phone Line - Comes with the coin; contact Merkman to look it up for you

You are correct.

I print the codes out with the coins as a courtesy, but if you ever need a coin code for any of my coins and I am not available they can be found here also.

Edited by merkman

I print the codes out with the coins as a courtesy, but if you ever need a coin code for any of my coins and I am not available they can be found here also.

See, ya learn something new every day. I didn't know you had an online backup. How cool.

Actually, the 2006 Love Geocoins came with their codes too, but Camp Explorer informed me that all his coin codes are backed up on the website now.

When I first started buying coins on Ebay I had a very stupid system of keeping track of the coin's activation slips that came with the coins or the vendours' tags that told me where to get them. I tossed everything in a cardfile thinking nothing of it. After I had nearly 100 coins I learned that activation codes can be pulled by very disreputable beings pretending to be humans. So I went on a tear looking to pull all the codes of my coins.... phew, what a job that was. Add to the frustration the fact that Geocoinclub's activation code page will lock you out NOT after 10 mistries but 4 though they say they'll unlock you after 2 hours when I found 24 hours to be the case. Most of my mistries occured when I entered codes for coins they didn't host.

Anyway it took a few days and I had a database of all my coins, their tracking numbers and matching activation codes. If I want to sell them, give them away or trade them I can include the codes with the coins but the responsibility is MINE. So was the stupid filing system I used to store my first coin tags and activation code slips.

Go easy on blaming the coin makers. Most are geocachers like you and me who like to make coins, sell them, trade them, release them or just give them away. What they do is expensive. Their profit margins aren't huge... they're not getting rich off of you by selling you a handful of coins. Then there is another band of middlemen who are not geocachers but sell geocoins on Ebay. Some wouldn't know an activation code from a tracking number. Most are reputable but some are not. Some of the folks who helped you in this thread today are coin makers, re-sellers and traders and their helping you was not to get you to buy more of their products.

Best wishes with your coins.

I appreciate all the help, thank you!

I am just wound up is all. I have been on the road for a while, and was looking forward to a nice day out in the field Geocaching. But as everyone knows, nothing works out like we plan, epically for me it seems lately. I was looking forward to placing another cache (I have a great spot in mind), and sending my first coin on its way in this new cache, but now it will have to wait. I spent at least four hours trying to activate the coins I have, but it was a waist of time I fear. Now I need to get other stuff done before the day is over.

I will try some other day, hopefully soon.

Thanks again

Signed

Frustrated Hobo2!!!

:P