Feature Update Summary

egami

Am I missing where the new features are listed or do we just have to easter egg discover them? Thanks.

:P If displaying the attached images for a cache log one at a time on an ugly almost fade to black screen is a new feature, then I say 'turn it off'.

It was MUCH better before, when I could see a thumbnail of each picture on a log, and select the one I wanted to see bigger. The new way is VERY BAD !!

Maybe the site wants to discourage us uploading images, it certainly has ruined it for me. :)

Maybe you haven't moved your mouse over the image after you click on one.. you'll notice that you can view them all. I personally think the "shadow overlay" accentuates your flower photos.

How exactly does this discourage you uploading images?

You would be surprised why it way it was "faster"

The old method would download every single image in the background and took forever for people using dial up. The new method will only load the picture if you actually click on it.

That being said the new method is here to stay.

-Raine

My only issue is that when you click on those new thumbnails, you don't get the full size image, you get something in between.

DCC

You get what is called the "Display Image"

This image would be the same image if you were viewing it on the log page. You can click "View Log" to be able to view the full size image. During testing before I switched to the Display Image one I came across many images that were to large to display properly so now you get a normalized size view.

-Raine

You get what is called the "Display Image"

This image would be the same image if you were viewing it on the log page. You can click "View Log" to be able to view the full size image. During testing before I switched to the Display Image one I came across many images that were to large to display properly so now you get a normalized size view.

-Raine

The "Display Image" size was intended to display in a box on the right side of a log, with text and navigation stuff aroun dit.

But when displayed alone, it appears way too small. When the whole screen is jsut displaying the image, it really is tiny to make out any details. I'd prefer to see the full image with a larger size parameter in the lightbox, and adding a link to view it completely fullsize if wished. lightbox2 auto-downloads the next image while you are viewing the current one, which helps performance with this.

Most of the changes involved plumbing - non-obvious changes. We'll put together a list of the more obvious enhancements like Friends Lists and changes to the cache details page.

Well that's a heck of a water pipe you installed Jeremy. Everytime I click on something it comes in a flood, not the trickle that it sometimes did before.... :) I wish you had told us we would need more towels :laughing:

And maybe a pump.

:P If displaying the attached images for a cache log one at a time on an ugly almost fade to black screen is a new feature, then I say 'turn it off'.

Ditto. The old method was also a lot faster.

I agree with these comments.

I appreciate all of the effort :) that the guys have put in to update the WEB site. Most of it is fantastic. However I have to agree with the two comments on the new picture feature. I much preferred the old method from an aesthetic view and also for speed. I use dial up a lot and I could read the cache page while pictures were loaded in the background. I could then hover over the icons and the picture would pop up.

I do not like the new method at all :) , which has this black screen as a backdrop and the fading effects. I also have to wait while the images are being uploaded.

I like the new way that thumb nail pictures are shown in the Travel Bug logs. I think it would be great if the new web page was consistent with this.

Once again, thanks for all of the effort, and I guess everyone has their own views on what is good and not so good.

Maybe you haven't moved your mouse over the image after you click on one.. you'll notice that you can view them all.

How come? At least I can't see them.

Tried mouseover on the icon and on the link (while and after seeing the grey background), nothing helped. All I see is a "title" tag showing a link.

ime

The new way the images are shown is mumbojumbo in my eyes. The old method with a hover-preview was _much_ faster and better to use.

Now it looks like made by a child that discovered a flash assistant in his webpage editor.

Does the zoom-warp-flash-bang-preview has any impact to the transfered data volume? I hope not, but I'm waiting to monday morning to see if there is an improvement (but I doubt it).

Please, if you need to prove you can handle animations, let the user decide by introducing a way to shut this thing off within the profile.

Thank you.

Does the zoom-warp-flash-bang-preview has any impact to the transfered data volume? I hope not, but I'm waiting to monday morning to see if there is an improvement (but I doubt it).

From Raine's point above, it would seem that yes, it does have an impact; a substantial positive one (meaning, a reduction in the amount of data transferred). Previously it still took 2.2 seconds or whatever it is to load an image, but that took place before you clicked on an image, regardless of whether you wanted to see it or not. Now you're aware of the 2.2 seconds because it happens after the click, but the elapsed time between you loading the cache page and seeing the image is reduced.

As to the black effect: it's either that, or opening the picture in a separate window. I don't think it matters much. I suspect that if there hadn't been the perceived "slowness" to load, there wouldn't be as many comments about it (although of course, people always comment most about the more visible changes).

My only minor point about the upgrade is, what's with this log telling me - when I've just logged a Traditional cache - what a Traditional cache is? I'd kind of worked that out before I went to get the cache. There is lots of scope for the site to give helpful tutorial-style info, but 'right after logging" doesn't seem like the right place.