I am LOVING the new features!

Harriet the Spy

I am loving the new features! I am like a kid in a candy store trying to get all my friends on my friends list, checking out the AWESOME picture thumbnails and slideshow on cache pages. The log tracking on the cache pages is super cool too!! So much cool stuff did I miss anything? What's your favorite new feature so far?

Since the rest of the threads are what's wrong and minor fixes needed - this is just to say THANKS! to all you guys who've worked hard on this. The new features are a lot of fun, some will take a bit of getting used to, and I can't wait to see exactly how the Friend's List will work once that's fully functional.

So how much sleep did y'all get this morning??

THANKS AGAIN! Great job!!

Edited by NevadaWolf

I'm sitting here at work still finding new features and watching the ongoing bug fixes and changes with heavy eyes (up too late last night playing with the web site).

I can't imagine how Jeremy and the Lackeys are doing - Red Bull?

Anyway, thanks, thanks and thanks again! All the changes are big improvements. Of course, we'll have to see how the system behaves over the weekend!

THANKS!!!!!!!!

I really hope someone revisits the email option on the friends list. The number of emails this would generate in my inbox would be intolerable. I hope the site developer makes this an option that can be enabled/disabled - preferably for each friend.

I was checking out a cache page and found that thumbnail thing.I liked that alot better than the old way of viewing pictures.

For the most part, I'm ecstatic about the changes, including this feature and want to give Jeremy and the crew a big THANK YOU!!!!!

But one thing I noticed is that if you had a picture with a pretty long description it now "cuts it off" at that point, which is kind of a bummer.

Only other problem I noticed is that someone gave me an invite to a friends list, and when I clicked on the link to accept or decline, the site kept saying I had to be signed on, even though I was. I got around it by going into my profile and doing the accept from there, but it is a bug and all......but really, no major complaints at all, the site runs great!!!!!

With one exception I think all the changes are great. I very disappointed in the new way photographs are displayed. The previous way, a “mouse over” on the picture icon gave you a quick, but small version of the image. Then if you wanted to see the detail it simply took one more click. With the new way, everything is slowed down and not very refined. Doing a “mouse over” now displays the tag box with a bunch of html code (yuck). Then clicking on the icon gives you a new page, but it does not show the full 600x450 size image. You have to click again on “View Log”, then, finally, again on the image to load the full size.

My suggestion is to use the previous method of a “mouse over” to automatically show a reduced size of the image. Then, should you want to see the detailed full image, use the new style page, in the slide show, but with FULL 600x450 sizing.

Change is good. More is better.

I like the new features so far. But I have had some negative response to some of my FRIENDS not wanting to receive emails each time a FRIEND performs a log. Is it possible to allow us to set up our FRIENDS and even GROUPS of FRIENDS and not receive emails of activity but just allow us a shortcut to contact them. I believe this would make for a friendlier function.

pwcinpc :)

I like how when you click on a log on the cache page it will give you the definition of the cache type!

I love most of the new features! The list of log types. The thumbnails.

But, the definiton of cache type I find to be redundant. I've submitted my log. By then, I should know the log type, and defintion. I find this feature to be rather annoying, and taking up too much space. I vote to archive this feature.

I like the new features so far. But I have had some negative response to some of my FRIENDS not wanting to receive emails each time a FRIEND performs a log. Is it possible to allow us to set up our FRIENDS and even GROUPS of FRIENDS and not receive emails of activity but just allow us a shortcut to contact them. I believe this would make for a friendlier function.

pwcinpc :laughing:

You opt in to receive emails and it is an option for each friend and not a bulk email deal. Of course none of this is turned on at the moment but it'll be come more clear when it is ready.

I like how when you click on a log on the cache page it will give you the definition of the cache type!

But, the definiton of cache type I find to be redundant. I've submitted my log. By then, I should know the log type, and defintion. I find this feature to be rather annoying, and taking up too much space. I vote to archive this feature.

It's actually meant for new users and non logged in users. I'll have it turned off for those who are logged in.

Yes, thank you for the many fine improvements! But I must emphatically agree with Backup regarding the new way that images are being handled:

I very disappointed in the new way photographs are displayed. The previous way, a “mouse over” on the picture icon gave you a quick, but small version of the image. Then if you wanted to see the detail it simply took one more click. With the new way, everything is slowed down and not very refined.

AMEN to that! Casually glancing at images is now much slower and drastically less convenient. The mouse over trick was simple and nearly instantaneous. Now it's gotta go through that whole fancy screen fade thing. Sure, it looks nifty the first couple times you see it, but then it's just tedious. Simpler and more streamlined is better.

Doing a “mouse over” now displays the tag box with a bunch of html code (yuck). Then clicking on the icon gives you a new page, but it does not show the full 600x450 size image. You have to click again on “View Log”, then, finally, again on the image to load the full size.

My suggestion is to use the previous method of a “mouse over” to automatically show a reduced size of the image. Then, should you want to see the detailed full image, use the new style page, in the slide show, but with FULL 600x450 sizing.

Yep, very clunky. But I like Backup's suggestion -- it would be the best of both worlds, I suppose. (Although I still think I'd almost never use the slide show thing. Ick.)

pwcinpc :D

You opt in to receive emails and it is an option for each friend and not a bulk email deal. Of course none of this is turned on at the moment but it'll be come more clear when it is ready.

This is GREAT NEWS Jeremy!!! Maybe you could post this in the DETAILS of MEMBER FEATURES so that it would be more visible. Thanks for the reply and keep up the good work.

pwcinpc :D

Yes, thank you for the many fine improvements! But I must emphatically agree with Backup regarding the new way that images are being handled:

I very disappointed in the new way photographs are displayed. The previous way, a “mouse over” on the picture icon gave you a quick, but small version of the image. Then if you wanted to see the detail it simply took one more click. With the new way, everything is slowed down and not very refined.

AMEN to that! Casually glancing at images is now much slower and drastically less convenient. The mouse over trick was simple and nearly instantaneous. Now it's gotta go through that whole fancy screen fade thing. Sure, it looks nifty the first couple times you see it, but then it's just tedious. Simpler and more streamlined is better.

Doing a “mouse over” now displays the tag box with a bunch of html code (yuck). Then clicking on the icon gives you a new page, but it does not show the full 600x450 size image. You have to click again on “View Log”, then, finally, again on the image to load the full size.

Yep, very clunky. But I like Backup's suggestion -- it would be the best of both worlds, I suppose. (Although I still think I'd almost never use the slide show thing. Ick.)

I am fully in agreement with these two posts. I now find that I look at the pictures on cache logs less than before the change.

I use dial up a lot and had no problems with speed before. The thumbnails loaded in background and I thought they way they popped up when you hovered over them was great.

Now I have to wait for the picture to load before I can see it and then I cannot read the rest of the logs at the same time as the screen goes dark!

The logs for Travels Bugs have thumbnails in all of the logs - why not use this for the cache pages and logs?

I see absolutely no benefit to me as a dial up user in the new method. It has had the opposite effect and I now look a the pictures less. Shame.

THe rest of the changes are good and over all, I do appreciate the hard effort that the guys have put in.

Some of the new features are great - like the summery of logs that shows now.

However, the new photo display confounds me. I used to load my background image up to the cache page (so as not to rely on other sites to reliably host the image). I'd then view the photo, copy the unique irl, and post it into the "Background Image" slot on the cache page.

I can't figure out how this works now, or what the new correct procedure is.

It's actually meant for new users and non logged in users. I'll have it turned off for those who are logged in.

Although I think its great that there is a clear description of the cache type, if it is for non-logged in users/visitors would it not be much more useful on the actual cache page. When I first came looking I certainly wasn't reading logs to find out what the cache was. Since we won't see it when logged in why not put it somewhere clearly on cache page where it can be found.