Photo Journal

While nowhere near the exciting locations you all have posted, this is a little slice of my local heaven that keeps me sane from the work week craziness...

Postcard Perfect (GCNHYB) in Needham, IN

DSCF2078.jpg

Shiloh Church Cemetery (GC1Q3V2) in Bud, IN

DSCF2079.jpg

Both done the same day, with absolutely gorgeous weather. I try do do almost all of my caching out in the rural areas of Indiana because I work 5 days a week in the city. I can tell you that spending last Friday out on the back roads looking for these caches and enjoying the areas I got to see took away all the stress for work that had been building up and has kept me in good spirits to start my vacation.

Howdy y'all. New to GC, but not to hiking and backpacking! Thought I'd take a minute and share the few pics I took on a recent solo pack trip through the John Muir Wilderness to Thousand Island Lake. Had I known that there was a GC only a couple of miles away at Garnett Lake, I would have hit that up for sure!

Trip was last month, and it rained like cats and dogs for three straight days. Was bright and sunny when I left, and half way there, T-stormed like you wouldn't believe, and didn't stop for more than an hour at a time maybe four or five times in three days. Had to cut my trip short two days because I was going crazy sitting in my tent all by my lonesome!

I started at the Rush Creek Trailhead (Silver Lake), and went pretty much straight to Thousand Island Lake.

Map1.jpg

This is when it started raining. Hard. It didn't mess around. It went from nice and dry to real, real wet in a flash.

DSCF1847.jpg

And eventually I got there, and pitched my tent, in the rain. It subsided for about an hour giving me time to eat and take a few pics.

DSCF1860.jpg

DSCF1859.jpg

DSCF1872.jpg

Dinner!

DSCF1871.jpg

And me, the best attempt I could make of a self portrait with a camera timer on a rock.

DSCF1868.jpg

Wouldn't have traded the experience for the world, but I wish it wouldn't have rained so hard the whole time. I did get to read two 500 page books in the course of three days though, so I suppose every cloud has its silver lining.

Thanks for letting me share!

These are from northeast Michigan's Highbanks Trail. It runs for seven miles along the bluffs above the Au Sable River. It's far from backcountry -- it passes two large monuments and is rarely out of earshot of traffic -- but hauling a backpack from one end to the empty primitive campground at the other was great fun, and the views are some of the best in the Midwest.

3927208451_f8c4f8d969.jpg

3927996222_10c6c390fa.jpg

3928001452_0973943d88.jpg

3927975852_94e38aee5b.jpg

3927224495_ddf1dc76c5.jpg

Old Glory peak is the highest summit of the 7 Summits, located outside Rossland, BC. Canada. Each of the 7 summits has a cache located near the top, and Old Glory has a few caches scattered about. You can barely see an abandoned meteorlogical building at the peak.

OlgGlory2sm.jpg

Myself at Old Glory summit.

OldGloryPawlsm.jpg

Awesome pictures y´all and great landscapes you guys have. Here in Denmark everything is pretty flat...

A few pictures though:

TripForest.jpg

Me and my son in our local forest.

Hamm1Night2.jpg

My hammock; only 1lbs/500g

DSC00308.jpg

Food in "Beaf handler". Light weight, packs flat and can be used for everything solid (meat, bread, veggies, you name it).

Here are a few more from some of my outings here in the Big Belt Mountains in Montana and surrounding area

Kayak fishing in Gipsy Lake

1mediumy.jpg

On the way to Mt. Baldy in the fog

5mediumd.jpg

Kayaking the Missouri River early in the morning

2medium.jpg

Starting my climb up Mt. Baldy...it is the left peak

12medium.jpg

Natural bridge as I was getting ready to pass under it during a long hike in deep snow heading to Hanging Valley

8mediumv.jpg

Here are a few taken in Montana while out kayaking and hiking.

You can barely see my kayak in this one down close to the water

53442930.jpg

On a ridgeline overlooking the still partially frozen Missouri River

75659963.jpg

Kayaking Canyon Ferry Lake

67894470.jpg

Hiking up Mann Gulch

48119091.jpg

Edited by skeezicks