Photo Journal

I just took two of my kids (9 & 13) backpacking to Goat Lake & Snowgrass Flats in Washington State's Goat Rocks Wilderness Area 8/30/08 - 8/31/08. Nothing like hiking in a little snow in August to keep you humble. :)

"Hiking in a little snow" and "hiking WHILE it's snowing" in August... two TOTALLY different things!!

We've seen snow every time we've been out this summer, but have yet to have it fall while hiking. Soon, I'm sure!

GREAT pictures!

michelle

Gah!! All these pictures make Wisconsin downright BORING!!!! when it comes to sweeping vistas and great hikes. Although, we do get our fair share of snow. :)

Now I wanna go to the mountains! Thanks!

You're more than welcome to come visit Colorado! We'll take you on a hike!

Well, that is, as long as you're not a Packer Fan...... :) (sorry, I'm from MN)

Gah!! All these pictures make Wisconsin downright BORING!!!! when it comes to sweeping vistas and great hikes. Although, we do get our fair share of snow. :)

Now I wanna go to the mountains! Thanks!

Well, that is, as long as you're not a Packer Fan...... :) (sorry, I'm from MN)

Gotta put in an echo in here. Give a heads up when you're coming out to Washington and I'll try to schedule a Hike of the Month for ya. That's all I do with rare exceptions.

Well, that is, as long as you're not a Packer Fan...... :( (sorry, I'm from MN)

Hell no I'm not a Packer fan!! Which is funny as Lambeau Field is nearly in my backyard.

I've never been to Colorado! I would love to see it sometime!

[

Gotta put in an echo in here. Give a heads up when you're coming out to Washington and I'll try to schedule a Hike of the Month for ya. That's all I do with rare exceptions.

Well you got some darn intimidating mountains there. At least they looked it from the plane. :) Who knows, I head to Vancouver yearly...Washington isn't that far away!

[

Well you got some darn intimidating mountains there. At least they looked it from the plane. :( Who knows, I head to Vancouver yearly...Washington isn't that far away!

I've taken lessons from some great hikers in this area including CurmudgeonlyGal and the two things I've taken to heart is to walk your own pace and take plenty of breaks. If you feel like you can't make it, you're pushing too hard. But don't worry, I won't take you on anything you can't handle.

All these pics are awesome! I've been looking for a thread like this for a while now. Here's a few from an overnight trip a few friends and I took back in September. It's at Lake Ann in between Mount Baker and Mount Shuksan in Washington State.

One of the many creek crossings along the trail.

n1581060012_30014783_3392.jpg

Mount Baker

n1581060012_30014795_3485.jpg

Lower Curtis Glacier on Mount Shuksan

n1581060012_30014800_5219.jpg

Lake Ann--we were camped at the far end.

n1581060012_30014811_9320.jpg

Cairns

n1581060012_30014813_66.jpg

Boulder field along a ridge adjacent to the lake. We climbed up there to watch the sunset :laughing:

n1581060012_30014817_1621.jpg

Alpenglow on Mount Shuksan

n1581060012_30014822_3675.jpg

The only bear we saw.

n1581060012_30014821_3227.jpg

The next day we hiked all the way up to the glacier--definitely worth the extra effort to get there!

n1581060012_30014824_4474.jpg

Picture Lake, taken on the drive back home.

n1581060012_30014826_5288.jpg

Edited by tsunami_KNUW

Great shots of a lot of great places. I particularly loved the one's of the Goat Rocks Wilderness area. That is an awesome place to hike. Although some parts of the trail are not for the feint of heart.

Hey Kit Fox, do we really need petty partisan political rhetoric on this forum? Let's stick to hiking and caching!

It took me two trips to find this cache, but the trips were more for the hikes than the cache.

First Trip: 10.12.08

View looking back towards parking:

633e1afa-6eae-44b8-a2bb-ed2d4c23747d.jpg

Fresh snow made the air crisp and clean:

9451baa0-5696-4bc1-a467-01c78488eff5.jpg

View from the summit:

d67e04f6-5979-4eb6-9cd1-9cdc726cf076.jpg

I went back up yesterday with a completely different view from the top:

View of Meeker and Longs Peak:

a70cd956-562b-4887-b469-3889cf30070d.jpg

Beautiful view at the cache site:

63d27908-a4d7-42cc-86e5-9e619ad33364.jpg

my last hike was a little different than i normaly docaving6.jpg entrance in caving5.jpg me an eric in a tight crawl caving1.jpg nice hidden room we found in pettyjohns cave this year plan on going back to see how far in we can get this was about 1 1/2 miles in 180 feet down

...THERE IS NO WAY I COULD EVER DO THAT! WOW.

my last hike was a little different than i normaly docaving6.jpg entrance in caving5.jpg me an eric in a tight crawl caving1.jpg nice hidden room we found in pettyjohns cave this year plan on going back to see how far in we can get this was about 1 1/2 miles in 180 feet down

...THERE IS NO WAY I COULD EVER DO THAT! WOW.

I tried to upload some pix but clicking on the icon "insert image" pops up a window prompting me to add a URL instead!!

I even tried copying a pic then trying to paste it but that didn't work either! (the paste option was not highlighted)

How do I upload pix on here?

If you are trying to upload your pictures from your personal computer, it wont work. The pictures need to be hosted on the internet at a site like www.Photobucket.com .

up ya go =P(BUMP)

Is there any places this green in Southern CA?

An extremely (read: pouring) wet day on the Upper South Fork Skokomish Trail in the Olympics:

2449b0bf-8d5f-4f96-94b8-cedd5957ed1b.jpg

The bags were sitting on the only dry patch of ground for miles (no really... MILES!) :unsure:

Man, all these pictures are awesome

3751781464_247bbf6aa5_b.jpg

This is us around a campfire at a campsite in Yellowstone, near the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone

3750961101_550c84a598_b.jpg

From left to right is me, my cousin, my brother and my neighbor. We were backpacking our way into a backcountry campsite by Phelps Lake in the grand tetons.

3751062545_6b3cb13f8a_b.jpg

These are some amazing clouds we saw after a small shower in Shenandoah national park. We were at this small clearing, and we just looked up and took a bunch of pictures.

3751066617_6fea0f73c8_b.jpg

This is at Hocking Hills State Park in ohio. very cool park with amazing scenery.

3750958283_c6da25b8b7_b.jpg

And this old guy is a mountain man named Black George who was at the trailhead leading to our Phelps Lake campsite in the grand tetons. He gives all his visitors a rootbeer floats and tells a lot of awesome stories. This dude has lived life.

Edited by Drewboy64
... this old guy is a mountain man named Black George who was at the trailhead leading to our Phelps Lake campsite in the grand tetons. He gives all his visitors a rootbeer floats and tells a lot of awesome stories. This dude has lived life.
I never wanted a rootbeer float more than I do right now. Wow. That's cool.

This is Annette Lake in Washington State.

Many geocachers hike a part of the Annette Lake Trail in search of the Project A.P.E. cache "Tunnel of Light." Many never go all the way up to the top of that trail where this gem awaits any who choose to spend another hour or two on the trail. I highly recommend it.

3668474405_52e0602214_b.jpg

Hiking in New Zealand - the Franz Joseph Glacier.

3830058317_60e3be6af5.jpg

Precarious steps with spikes lashed to our hiking boots.

2472624557_9671caf29a.jpg

We were not even half way up after more than 90 minutes of climbing.

3830810600_6bffc7e45e.jpg

Spectacular views and an incredible experience.

Edited by Sandy

This is Annette Lake in Washington State.

Many geocachers hike a part of the Annette Lake Trail in search of the Project A.P.E. cache "Tunnel of Light." Many never go all the way up to the top of that trail where this gem awaits any who choose to spend another hour or two on the trail. I highly recommend it.

3668474405_52e0602214_b.jpg

Stunning photo. The sort of place you want to keep to yourself : )