Garmin 60C Series

Hi folks,

I've just upgraded from the trusty old Etrex to the 60 series and am trying to get my head around the best method to actually geocache with it. There seems to be several methods open to me for storing caching waypoints in it. So, if you've got a 60 series Garmin, what is your preferred method of getting caches into it?

Currently I have got cache waypoints exported from GSAK as a GPX file and downloaded to the Garmin as POI's using the Garmin POI Manager. However, I could of transferred the caches into Garmins waypoint list direcly from GSAK (but there does seem to be a max limit to Garmin Waypoints allowed), also, I see from the menu's that the Garmin actually supports geocaches to some degree, what's folks experiences of using it?

Basically, I'm spoilt for choice, so how do I get the most out of it?

Cheers

Jon.

I have a 60C. It's at home, so I haven't got all of the information to hand but I'll try and remember as much as I can.

I downloaded a piece of software from Garmin which allows you to take screenshots of the GPS, but most importantly change the symbols on the GPS.

I use GSAK with a macro I got from the GSAK forums to export waypoints straight to the GPS with custom symbols for the different types of cache. I've customised the output a little to use smartnames (10 character I think, maybe 8) and also some info about the last four logs, terrain/difficulty and TBs in the notes field.

The only downside to this is that the standard open/closed treasure chest icons are no longer used for caches so the geocaching mode doesn't work in quite the same way. I either use the map to pick caches or enter geocache setup and define the not found icon as whichever sort I want to look for.

I hope some of that makes sense. I'll try and search for some bookmarks I used when setting up.

Here we go:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=144153

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=145793

http://www.thepropers.com/geocaching/60Ser...stomSymbols.htm

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=75947

Edited by scanker

The caches or Trigs I know I am definately going to do on any particular day I send to the Garmin as Waypoints straight from GSAK.

I keep a complete database of POI's (over 9000 poi's) on the memory card just in case I happen to be in a particular area unexpectedly and haven't had time to send the waypoints. This database also corresponds to one I keep on Cachmate for the same reason.

I sort out the caches I'm going to do in GSAK. From there, they're exported to MemoryMap and suitable parking places added if they're not already there as a child waypoints. From MM they're all exported to the 60 as 'Waypoints'. I've never bothered with POI's. I maintain a full UK database on my PDA and I can export directly from CacheMate if I need to. I have no need to duplicate it in the 60. Don't care too much about icons... a blue dot works for me. Keep it simple :P

I get my query and I load up into EasyGPS and just wack them all onto the GPSr. Cache co-ords and the parking co-ords. There's enough space on the 60C series! I then get that same query, get into Cachemate and onto my little cheap palm PDA. That's it, job done, about 90 seconds or something.

Armed, dangerous and ready to cache! :P

GSX 60map, put topo no to it, with a 2mb sd micro, it wiLl take you there by road then by path, put a PQ onto it for the area, it's 1000 caches all you need to start with, then use a pda with gpx sonar and memory map on with an lord elf icon-over lay so you don't go to puzzle, or time comsuming multi's, then your off.

:P