New site upgrade

Great updates - I like the new look of the google maps!

I think I have missed something What new look? I hate missing out on stuff!

Visit any cache page and click on the Geocaching Google Maps link next to the rubbish default map. Theres new icons and bubbles that show if you have found the cache or not.

LINK

<Edit - Link added>

That's awesome - thanks. A very good addition to the site.. Well done to the team.. :)

Just when I was enjoying the log image thumbnails, they have been removed again. Weird! :)

I've just noticed that the thumbnails still appear on trackable logs, which is nice as I don't always notice when a TB has a new picture uploaded for it.

Worst of all, the change to the way images are displayed, which is awful. The previous way of being able to see the image by hovering the mouse over the icon was much quicker and useful.

Overlaid greyed-out image display is really annoying actually. And IMHO the rollover/hover pop-up image display is even worse. Fortunately all other forums/sites I use that have that feature have the decency to allow the user to turn it off.

Just another web2.0 'me too' thing imho. Looks pretty, but a right pita if you want functionality.

Has the forum code changed too? Now to quote, you have to toggle and then go to reply. Every other forum i've used, if you hit quote, it goes directly to the reply message editor, and pre-inserts the quote. Not sure I like that either, but guess it could be more useful for quoting multiple messages.

Edit:

In addition, I see the Googlemaps bit now looks better, and correctly shows the find status, which it didn't before. But rollover colour which totally obliterates the bubble icon contents has to be a bit of an oversight.

Edited by andy_the_rocketeer

Has the forum code changed too? Now to quote, you have to toggle and then go to reply. Every other forum i've used, if you hit quote, it goes directly to the reply message editor, and pre-inserts the quote. Not sure I like that either, but guess it could be more useful for quoting multiple messages.

+ Quote copies the text for use in your next reply. You can reply to multiple posts in one reply

" Reply allows you to quote that specific post only

Add Reply works without any quoting at all

I find these options very versatile and better than any other forum I use.

Has the forum code changed too?

+ Quote copies the text for use in your next reply. You can reply to multiple posts in one reply

" Reply allows you to quote that specific post only

Add Reply works without any quoting at all

I find these options very versatile and better than any other forum I use.

It has always been this way, and it's great!

I don't think they've always been this way. I seem to remember a forum upgrade in the last two years since I joined but it has been this way for a very long time though and yes it is great :)

Dino is right the forums used to run on a older version of the forum software, which did not have all the same features. This version is a improvement :P

As the site moves forward in time, I'm sure we'll see new versions of the forum software being deployed, with who knows what extra features :) The longer your a member of GC the more feature roll outs you'll see. Over time the older versions of the site will become just distant and faded memory's [see this is already affecting Dino :):) ]