New site upgrade

Wow - I think I like it, especially the speed - 10/10. Great to see the picture thumbnails with the logs. :DB)B) Not sure that those without broadband will be so happy though, can the attached pics can be turned off? At least they don't print with the PDF or 'printer friendly' options.

Didn't they do well!!! B)

Edited by FollowMeChaps

Absolutely LOVE the speed and the little icons at the bottom of each cache page. Having the same trouble seeking finds of other players, but I realise that's been reported. Like the idea of the 'My Friends' list but will wait a while before I try it out.

Well done GC.com!

What little icons? :D

Loving the site and the pics on logs B)

I assume the post is referring to just above the logs where it says how many founds DNFs etc there have been on the cache page.

Greasemonkey script users have had that option for a while, but it did require all logs to be loaded too rather than just the last 5, which could slow things down on very popular caches.

Ahhh thanks ... had them already being a Firefox and Greasemonkey convert which is why that didn't look different. :D

Ditto!

But it did look different you had 2 sets of them. I have disabled my Greasemonkey for them now. Is there any other of the Greasemonkey scripts that I have to disable now?

Another Greasemonkey user - and I prefer the Greasemonkey output of the finder stats as you can at a glance see who has been. Now can the script be amended to eliminate the Groundspeak icons? B)

Also I have disabled my Greasemonkey script which shows the OS map, and can't see any difference in the Groundspeak map display unless I click one ot the mapping options on the left. B)

The big plus I have just found is that PQs are coming through much quicker. I have a daily one to check new caches and it came through at 1030 this morning which is about 12 hours earlier than before. B)

Edited by John Stead

When I turn off my OS script, I just get the old style vague undetailed GC map of the area - am I missing something?

The one I'm turning off is called "Geocaching UK map substituter" in the list when I right click the monkey.

The unconditional display of spoiler thumbnails and the clever idea to omit any associated warning labels shows just how much forethought went into this upgrade.

They needed to fix the thumbnailing though, it was broken in internet explorer 7. The lightbox is nice, but they probably should have left captions on the cache page, allowing people to click to see.

Generally, some great updates, we'll just have to wait until the weekend to see if the database server has helped!

As a non-tecccie I'm getting a bit confused (I know; easily done!). On my home PC this morning using Firefox with Greasemonkey scripts I saw all the pictures attached to the listing page at the foot of the listing. Now at work I don't see them, they are still attachments, in both IE and Firefox. What's going on? :D

If we are seeing different things using different settings/applications then we will be confusing each other in this thread.

Great updates - I like the new look of the google maps!

I think I have missed something What new look? I hate missing out on stuff!

Visit any cache page and click on the Geocaching Google Maps link next to the rubbish default map. Theres new icons and bubbles that show if you have found the cache or not.

LINK

<Edit - Link added>

Edited by Bambography

I used to be able to hover my cusor over the little icon next to a photo link and bring up a preview of the photo - that facility has now gone. Also not getting the photos on the cache page like some others have mentioned.....

I'm running IE, would that make a difference do you think??

edited to say I just noticed this fault has alredy been posted on the main bugs post.... loving the speed of the site now though - much quicker!!

Edited by *mouse*

Great updates - I like the new look of the google maps!

I think I have missed something What new look? I hate missing out on stuff!

Visit any cache page and click on the Geocaching Google Maps link next to the rubbish default map. Theres new icons and bubbles that show if you have found the cache or not.

LINK

<Edit - Link added>

Wow - Thanks. I never even knew these maps existed. Great! :P

I am on IE7 !!!

The thumbnail pictures are not automatically displayed... but when I click on them it grays out the geocaching page and a picture pops up...

That's what I got now. Using Firefox here, but a few hours ago piccys were automatically displayed under each cache log. :P Apart from displayiing spolier photos, it looked pretty cool.

I feel a bit like the little boy looking at the emperor's new clothes :)

I can see only three changes.

The log summary: pretty, and possibly even useful, but hardly earth-shattering.

The "friends" feature which, like the rest of the changes, haven't been explained by Groundspeak. Possibly useful, but if I want to see other people's caching stats I can just go to their profile. I think this is probably a precursor to the much-discussed hiding of other people's stats, unless you're a "friend".

Worst of all, the change to the way images are displayed, which is awful. The previous way of being able to see the image by hovering the mouse over the icon was much quicker and useful. A side-effect of this last change is that the image caption now appears with a line break between it and the image, making it appear as though the caption belongs to the following image.

It's too early to comment on the promised speed improvements but I can't say I've noticed anything obvious.

Two more things:

When logging a cache there's now a - completely unnecessary - description of the cache type. At home this is merely a visual distraction but on a low-speed or charged connection (GPRS, WiFi etc, on holiday) this could be time-consuming and costly.

The feature of remembering the date between logs is broken. It seems entirely random whether it does or doesn't remember.

I feel a bit like the little boy looking at the emperor's new clothes :)

I can see only three changes.

The log summary: pretty, and possibly even useful, but hardly earth-shattering.

The "friends" feature which, like the rest of the changes, haven't been explained by Groundspeak. Possibly useful, but if I want to see other people's caching stats I can just go to their profile. I think this is probably a precursor to the much-discussed hiding of other people's stats, unless you're a "friend".

Worst of all, the change to the way images are displayed, which is awful. The previous way of being able to see the image by hovering the mouse over the icon was much quicker and useful. A side-effect of this last change is that the image caption now appears with a line break between it and the image, making it appear as though the caption belongs to the following image.

It's too early to comment on the promised speed improvements but I can't say I've noticed anything obvious.

Two more things:

When logging a cache there's now a - completely unnecessary - description of the cache type. At home this is merely a visual distraction but on a low-speed or charged connection (GPRS, WiFi etc, on holiday) this could be time-consuming and costly.

The feature of remembering the date between logs is broken. It seems entirely random whether it does or doesn't remember.

You're posting to the wrong thread - I don't think that Groundspeak will notice your criticism tucked away in the UK section!

I guess you're in a bad mood <_< so perhaps I shouldn't reply :laughing: : but as far as I recall the promise was for an upgrade to improve the web site response rather than a promise of a host of earth-shattering features. I'm surprised that there are as amny as three changes.

The "friends" feature is something I've always wanted, and has nothing to do with hiding of other people's stats (see the explanation here). I like the log summary, I agree it's useful and not earth shattering (but so what?). I don't understand your complaint about the image caption so I can't comment.

I agree about the description of the cache type which seems rather pointless.

I must say that the speed improvement was pretty obvious to me.

HH

Just when I was enjoying the log image thumbnails, they have been removed again. Weird! :)

The cache description in the log page doesn't worry me, but I did think it was a bit strange... "Yes I know, I have just found it, that's why I am logging it!!"

I like the finds/dnfs others summary, that's very interesting.

The whole thing seems faster... lets put that to the test when I try to do my logging on Sunday! :laughing:

You're posting to the wrong thread
Uh? This thread is entitled "New site Upgrade. Wow!". It seems a very appropriate place to comment.

I guess you're in a bad mood :laughing:
Not at all (well, no more than usual :P ). I just wanted to counter the general euphoria by pointing out that actually the emperor may not be as well clothed as everyone else seems to think he is <_<.

The "friends" feature is something I've always wanted, and has nothing to do with hiding of other people's stats
Yet... Jeremy has long expressed his distaste for the statistics side of the game. He's already said that the find count on people's logs will be removed at some point. And many people have expressed a wish to hide their stats from others by not showing them on their profile page. I see the friends feature as providing the groundwork to enable the stats to be shown only to those who've been approved as a friend. Of course, I could be wrong. Time will tell.

I like the log summary, I agree it's useful
It would be even more useful if it were correct. This cache has just been archived and the archived log appears in the summary. With a count of zero... :) And the summary includes deleted logs. This cache has only one note but the summary says two. The extra note is one I put on to drop a TB, which I immediately deleted (the note, not the TB :o )

I don't understand your complaint about the image caption so I can't comment.
Have a look at this cache. Each caption refers to the image above it but the caption is closer to the image below it.

I must say that the speed improvement was pretty obvious to me.
The test of planned performance improvements is when the system is running at full load. Sunday afternoon will be a better indication, but even at the moment I don't see much gain. Some of today's PQs have arrived already, which is unusual for a Friday, but I don't know if that's specifically a result of the upgrade.
Just when I was enjoying the log image thumbnails, they have been removed again. Weird! :)
No Ali, they were a bad idea. Instant spoiler photos can't be a good thing. Losing the 'hover and popup' feature (which only ever half-worked in my IE7 anyway) is a shame though. Generally I like the changes -especially to the geocache icons on google maps- but there's nothing to get too excited about. I'm not getting the Wow factor, but it might arrive if I can log my finds on Sunday evening without fighting GCs servers every inch of the way.

Just to explain about Deleted logs being included in the log count. Logs are not actually deleted from the system but Archived. And are still visible to Groundspeak staff and Reviewers. So when the system counts each type of log it will include Archived logs as they are still attached to the Cache.

The next time you have reason to delete a log from a cache, have a look at the top right of the page after the action has been completed by the system in in red you will see the word Archived.

Uh? This thread is entitled "New site Upgrade. Wow!". It seems a very appropriate place to comment.

I suppose it's as good a place as any if you just want to grumble generally about the upgrade :) but not actually let Groundspeak know what it is you don't like.

I just wanted to counter the general euphoria by pointing out that actually the emperor may not be as well clothed as everyone else seems to think he is :laughing:.

Well, the emperor was supposed to be riding a bike rather than walking (contriving to keep the metaphor going): the upgrade was meant to improve the site performance. So his clothing is not so important!

It would be even more useful if it were correct.

There seem to be several bugs: the Geocaching Web Site forum is the place to look

The test of planned performance improvements is when the system is running at full load. Sunday afternoon will be a better indication, but even at the moment I don't see much gain. Some of today's PQs have arrived already, which is unusual for a Friday, but I don't know if that's specifically a result of the upgrade.

I noticed that web pages appeared faster than previously, and there were none of the server timeouts which have been the main problem recently (even when the server shouldn't have been at full load). But I agree that Sunday will be the real test.

I'm pleased that they have gotten rid of the old maps, as nobody used them.

Speak for yourself. The old maps were infinitely better for seeing where the bug had been. :laughing:

Agreed. The 'new' maps are not nearly as good as the old one for a representation of where a TB has been... :)

Just to explain about Deleted logs being included in the log count. Logs are not actually deleted from the system but Archived. And are still visible to Groundspeak staff and Reviewers. So when the system counts each type of log it will include Archived logs as they are still attached to the Cache.

The next time you have reason to delete a log from a cache, have a look at the top right of the page after the action has been completed by the system in in red you will see the word Archived.

I know that, but counting such logs in a summary is at least misleading and at worst wrong. If the detail can't be seen then the summary shouldn't include it. Seems common sense to me.