New Site Bugs

benh57

The overlap is gone, but now something is making the page too wide. I suspect that the culprit is either the cache logs or the box with the first map. I'm using Mozilla.

It's neither of those. What cache are you looking at that is now showing correctly?

-Raine

The British OS Grid coordinates apply to the Isle of Man as well as the UK, so should appear on the main cache page for the IOM caches (rather than the UTM coordinates shown, which are never used here).

Although the IOM isn't part of the UK, it's included in the UK mapping by the Ordnance Survey. As the OS maps are the best in the world :rolleyes: , they are definitely the most popular here.

HH

The second map does not display for me. All that I see is a flower type symbol that goes round and round. I am using IE. I get a Done, but with errors message.

And if you click on the nice little spinner, you get to see the caches for... Seattle.

And thanks for the updates, too. The site looks way better now :rolleyes:

I'm getting this same behavior.

Thanks for adding the OS grid references back on British Caches!! Very useful here!

Also, i'm getting the issue with the 2nd, larger map not showing, just the spinning wheel (IE 6.0.2)

For reference, the 2nd map does show up properly in FireFox 2.0.0.3

But from the same machine, I tried IE and get the same result -- a spinner that lasts forever and, when clicked, takes you to nearest caches map in Seattle.

If the "placed by" name isn't the same as the account name, then the text says "description written by account name" rather than the "placed by" name.

For example, GC100R9 and GCP439

Edited by chizu

The little preview map is back.. but it is zoomed in far too close to be helpful. As I recall the preview little map showed more surrounding area. Can it be enlarged?

Yeah, this map is not too helpful...

Clipboard08.jpg

I take back my earlier assertion about a 'glitch'. I am on a different machine now (at home) and it happened again to me. Not sure why the animation hangs up... (I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.3)

I'm also getting these little maps after the little grey spinner. Since I had to look forever to find mention of it, I'm assuming it's a problem on my end, so, how do I fix it? Both maps on the cache pages look like this - I click on the little one in the upper left, and I get a yahoo map of the area where the cache is, but when I click on the little one on the lower right, I get a google map of Seattle.

Thanks for adding the OS grid references back on British Caches!! Very useful here!

Also, i'm getting the issue with the 2nd, larger map not showing, just the spinning wheel (IE 6.0.2)

For reference, the 2nd map does show up properly in FireFox 2.0.0.3

But from the same machine, I tried IE and get the same result -- a spinner that lasts forever and, when clicked, takes you to nearest caches map in Seattle.

Somehow I found a bug in IE, go figure.

I've changed some code and pushed it out so it should work in IE now

-Raine

Somehow I found a bug in IE, go figure.

I've changed some code and pushed it out so it should work in IE now

-Raine

Yes, it seems better now in IE6.

Now, onto the next bug...

In the 'make this page printer friendly' view, the

tb_coin.gifInventory

is coming up at the top of the page, but the actual cache inventory is way down below the description and hints.

see:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=n&decrypt=

Also, why is the GC# stuck off to the right in a separate column on the printable page version? putting it up there makes the whole rest of the description and everything else on the page squeeze down to about the first 2/3rds of the page width.

Cache pages are now appearing with the second map (a Yahoo map). When clicked, it takes you to a map with caches nearest to the one you're looking at. Also shows which are found and not found. Very helpful.

Very quick response. Thanks for the hard work you are putting into this. :D

The little preview map is back.. but it is zoomed in far too close to be helpful. As I recall the preview little map showed more surrounding area. Can it be enlarged?

Yeah, this map is not too helpful...

Clipboard08.jpg

I take back my earlier assertion about a 'glitch'. I am on a different machine now (at home) and it happened again to me. Not sure why the animation hangs up... (I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.3)

I'm also getting these little maps after the little grey spinner. Since I had to look forever to find mention of it, I'm assuming it's a problem on my end, so, how do I fix it? Both maps on the cache pages look like this - I click on the little one in the upper left, and I get a yahoo map of the area where the cache is, but when I click on the little one on the lower right, I get a google map of Seattle.

Your problem is probably that you have your pop up blocker active. Go into tools and allow pop ups on this site. :D

Edited by High IQ

Not bug: I like how an expandable icon appears for each pic in a log. Easier than visiting the gallery.

Bug: most waypoints downloaded to my Venture Cx have at least one incorrect digit in the coordinates at 3 places after the decimal (minutes). I need to check/correct each one after downloading.

And the icon isn't the little closed treasure chest.

I realize these may be problems with the new Garmin utility utilized for the download.

Hey, you guys may already have this stuff fixed, so who am I to complain about a site which brings us all so much enjoyment! Keep up the good work.

paulmc

I guess I can live without the map showing now, but can I at least have "Log a visit" back? Please?

Oh, I found it. It's hidden way down the page now. Can we either have it back near the top of the page or at the bottom of the page (in the old days there was a text link) for access-challenged people so that it doesn't take forever to scroll and find?

I guess I can live without the map showing now, but can I at least have "Log a visit" back? Please?

Oh, I found it. It's hidden way down the page now. Can we either have it back near the top of the page or at the bottom of the page (in the old days there was a text link) for access-challenged people so that it doesn't take forever to scroll and find?

Can you give me a screen shot of what you're seeing?

email it to raine at Groundspeak dot com

Another bug...

When a picture in a cachedescription is over 675 pixels wide, the columns to the right are being squeezed.

For example GCRQAF.

It's dutch but it's just as an example. Before the changes it was just fine.

In addition to this a screenshot.

Vervormdrechts2.jpg

Also the opposite is happening. When there's a url in a bugs name the right-hand boxes will become very big.

Vervormdrechts1.jpg

Another bug...

When a picture in a cachedescription is over 675 pixels wide, the columns to the right are being squeezed.

For example GCRQAF.

In addition to this a screenshot.

Vervormdrechts2.jpg

Also the opposite is happening. When there's a url in a bugs name the right-hand boxes will become very big.

Vervormdrechts1.jpg

Sounds like the person who has put an Image URL into their bug title needs to change that. We do not allow nor support that.

-Raine

Another bug...

When a picture in a cache description is over 675 pixels wide, the columns to the right are being squeezed.

For example GCRQAF.

The example you show there has a picture that is 850 pixels wide.

Taking into account that we have "chrome" and then our own nav bar on the left I can't possible see how this is a "bug" and can be reasonably scaled to fit to 800x600

-Raine

Not a bug per se, but a suggestion: on the printer-friendly version (yes, we still use printouts), it would be great if the attribute icons could be somewhere closer to the top of the page. I don't need the little Yahoo map to go hunt for a local cache, but it is helpful to know if we need to be aware of poisonous plants, if it's stroller accessible, etc. I like to minimize paper use by keeping printouts to one sheet, but unfortunately I don't always remember to jot down the attrbutes when they are cut off because the cache decription is large.

BUG (not related with recent changes):

When looking to someones' gallery, it is possible to view pictures (= incl. HINT pictures!!!), uploaded to caches, that are not published yet.

I know, it's just marginal problem, but there are cases when it sucks :o

I haven't had time to read all the logs. But on the Hide & Seek page I see they added the "Find by address"

Okay but on the " Find by Zip Code" the link to look up the zip code is missing. That means I have to go somewhere else and find the zip code.

Just when it started to come together....the maps are tiny again. :o

My maps are still tiny as well - I'm using Mozilla Firefox (and I've been searching all over, but can't find out how to find out what version I'm running, but it just updated itself last week) and "Block Pop-up Windows" is unchecked.

Just when it started to come together....the maps are tiny again. :o

My maps are still tiny as well - I'm using Mozilla Firefox (and I've been searching all over, but can't find out how to find out what version I'm running, but it just updated itself last week) and "Block Pop-up Windows" is unchecked.

I'm running version 1.5.0.12, and I've looked all over tools and can not find out how to fix my maps on my end - SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP - THIS IS GETTING REALLY @#$%&* FRUSTRATING!!!! HOW COME EVERYONE ELSE CAN GET IT TO WORK, BUT NOT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

Raine, I appreciate all the work you're doing. Really, I do.

The point is that it is best to design web pages so that they are not dependent on screen resolution or browser width.

Not all of us have big monitors. Some of us don't let one application fill the whole screen. Right now, pages that looked fine before are too wide. The web is not suited to complete control over layout.

I do not understand why the center part of the screen has to be that wide. I think that widths expressed in pixels (except for images) are a Bad Idea. But if you feel you must used fixed widths, I suggest that the columns on left and right take precedence over the middle except where that is unavoidable (e.g., image widths mean a certain minimum).

Incidentally, if I am not logged in, cache pages are too wide in 800 x 600.

When you go to a map page for a state, below the map where you use to be able to identify the caches by clicking "identify" now you get:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046'

Permission denied

/map/maplib.asp, line 191

Also, you use to get links to adjoining states. That's no longer there either.

I've reported this problem also, but so far, no luck. This must be an extremely complicated bug to fix. Makes it hard to cache when travelling, if you don't know the zip codes of the towns you are passing through...

ddroppa

Visit Galeton, PA! ZIP Code: 16922

Raine, I appreciate all the work you're doing. Really, I do.

The point is that it is best to design web pages so that they are not dependent on screen resolution or browser width.

Not all of us have big monitors. Some of us don't let one application fill the whole screen. Right now, pages that looked fine before are too wide. The web is not suited to complete control over layout.

I do not understand why the center part of the screen has to be that wide. I think that widths expressed in pixels (except for images) are a Bad Idea. But if you feel you must used fixed widths, I suggest that the columns on left and right take precedence over the middle except where that is unavoidable (e.g., image widths mean a certain minimum).

Incidentally, if I am not logged in, cache pages are too wide in 800 x 600.

Where do you see that I'm using fixed sizes? With the new changes I set table widths to 100%.

Maybe I missed something but telling me would help out.

-Raine

When you go to a map page for a state, below the map where you use to be able to identify the caches by clicking "identify" now you get:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046'

Permission denied

/map/maplib.asp, line 191

Also, you use to get links to adjoining states. That's no longer there either.

I've reported this problem also, but so far, no luck. This must be an extremely complicated bug to fix. Makes it hard to cache when travelling, if you don't know the zip codes of the towns you are passing through...

ddroppa

Visit Galeton, PA! ZIP Code: 16922

Well there are a few options you can do.

On the Seek page there is now a textbox that will do a geocode on an address, city, state, etc...

Or you could create a Route and try the "Caches along a Route" feature.

-Raine

Just when it started to come together....the maps are tiny again. :blink:

I'm running version 1.5.0.12, and I've looked all over tools and can not find out how to fix my maps on my end - SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP - THIS IS GETTING REALLY @#$%&* FRUSTRATING!!!! HOW COME EVERYONE ELSE CAN GET IT TO WORK, BUT NOT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

Have you tried upgrading to Firefox 2.0?

Mozilla no longer supports Firefox 1.5.2 and below. LINK

-Raine

Try doing a hard refresh on the page. Sounds like your browser is getting hung up on something

Hold down the shift key while you click the refresh icon.

-Raine

I haven't had time to read all the logs. But on the Hide & Seek page I see they added the "Find by address"

Okay but on the " Find by Zip Code" the link to look up the zip code is missing. That means I have to go somewhere else and find the zip code.

If you know the city, state that its in that will get you a pretty good idea as to where its at.

-Raine

Found it!

Where do you see that I'm using fixed sizes?

Right here is the culprit (again):

<span id="DisclaimerText">
				<br />
				<table cellspacing="1" cellpadding="4" width="500" bgcolor="#992A2A" border="0" align="center">

It's the width="500" here that's squishing the right-hand column, and making the middle part wider than necessary. If you knock that out, it looks . . . OK on 800 x 600 ("find other caches" a little too close to second map), doesn't create a horizontal scrollbar until less than 514 pixels wide, probably looks swell on monitors with higher resolution.

I use sometimes my cell phone Motorola RAZR V3X to navigate with the browser Opera Mini. Before the last upgrade everything was OK, but after the last changes it doesn't allows me to log in. It still accepts username and PSW, but no log. Does anybody have the same problem?

I use sometimes my cell phone Motorola RAZR V3X to navigate with the browser Opera Mini. Before the last upgrade everything was OK, but after the last changes it doesn't allows me to log in. It still accepts username and PSW, but no log. Does anybody have the same problem?

I just tried on my Sprint Sanyo phone using Opera Mini and it worked ok.

-Raine

Yes, same problem here. Can't log in using Opera Mini and Nokia N70. It worked just fine a week ago, or so.. Hope it gets fixed soon.

Yes, same problem here. Can't log in using Opera Mini and Nokia N70. It worked just fine a week ago, or so.. Hope it gets fixed soon.

I have same login problem in my Nokia N800. I press Login button, but nothing happens. N800 has Opera based browser too..

Vervormdrechts1.jpg

Sounds like the person who has put an Image URL into their bug title needs to change that. We do not allow nor support that.

-Raine

Raine, keep it up. :D

Can this be mandatory? Disable html code on TB titles? In our humble opinion, it's annoying. You could also fix the special characters issue on the TB titles. We have some TB's that have the names all scramble because we use portuguese characters. :blink:

TIA.

Have you tried upgrading to Firefox 2.0?

Mozilla no longer supports Firefox 1.5.2 and below. LINK

-Raine

I'm having the tiny map problem on my work machine and no problem on my home machine. I'm running the current (2.0.0.4) version of FireFox in both locations. Weird (and annoying).

Hmm. My post done got eaten.

I am experiencing two bugs that have been mentioned above:

- Bookmark pages: When I view my bookmark pages, they should come up as page 1 and, if they are more than one page, links to all subsequent pages shouls show. They all come up showing page 1 but displaying that they are page 3 (sometimes it shows that I am viewing page 3 of 2). When I click the link for page 2, it shows corrently, then I can click on page 3 to see it.

- Travel bugs: when I try sorting by distance, they do not sort in order from greatest to least, there is some jumbling.