New Site Bugs

benh57

I noticed a snag in the counts of the different log types. If there is only one, except for "published", it puts up the symbol with a 0 after it. I have one owner maintenance, and one coodinate update, and both show the symbols, but 0's after them instead of one's.

The one I'm referring to it GCW585 - ChemCache #9 - Fluorine

Heh - found this one posted a few replies back - guess it's already been noted.

Edited by FireRef

Oops, another new bug!

The option to display TBs by distance no longer works...

Thats right, it seems just for moves after the upgrade.. BTW can we have the distances in Metric (not old imperial miles) ie Kms

Oops, another new bug!

The option to display TBs by distance no longer works...

Thats right, it seems just for moves after the upgrade.. BTW can we have the distances in Metric (not old imperial miles) ie Kms

Not sure what the deal is... maybe it's been fixed since you posted last night... but I'm able to sort by distance, and mine shows in metric.

I love the changes I've seen. I'm not sure if this is a Groundspeak bug or just that the NAD27 converter at jeeep.com has moved/been removed, but the link to convert at the top of the cache pages doesn't seem to work anymore. Anyone else have this problem?

As someone else mentioned, the jeeep link appears to be broken, so it made/makes sense to take it out.

For anyone who cares, I just modified the original "Geocaching Map Linker" greasemonkey script and submitted it to userscripts.org. This means the Google Earth (and UK Ord. Survey) links work again..

Here's something I just happened upon this morning. I can now view player profiles WITHOUT being logged in.

I received email that someone had found one of my caches. When I opened it and clicked on their profile url, it took me right to it, instead of telling me I needed to log on to see it. (I WASN'T logged on.) I then viewed a few more while logged off to make sure it was consistent, and it was.

Is this intentional by the programmers? Do we want non-players seeing our profiles?

Great work guys, I'm really impressed!

One bug - hovering over the prewiew pictures in the logs gives a lot of html code in the hover text which I'm sure isn't meant to be there.

Did we ever hear whether this is being addressed? I seem to recall the "hover" feature was a fairly recent addition. Has it been decided that it puts too much of a strain on the database?

Two bugs already mentioned but, I think, with some more information to help fix them;

Will Attend Event caches:

"I plan to attend (in the next 30 days)" - It seems that it not only shows the next 30 days but also the last 30 days. In my account, there are two Event caches I decided to be present and issued the "Will Attend" type of log. One of them took place last Saturday and I was there and issued the "Attended" type of log. The other one is ok in the list.

This also shows Will Attend logs further out than 30 days. I submitted one earlier this month for an event that isn't until 8/25/2007 and shouldn't be showing up until the end of july. Although I think the Will Attend should include all events in the future that you have marked as will attend.

It's not showing that I will attend the Scottish Cache Bash on the 9th of June.

Any new on this bug?

I posted a 'Will attend' log for an Event next Sunday and it is not visible in the 'I plan to attend (in the next 30 days)' area of my logs. It is empty.

Is it so difficult to use the Event date (future dates) instead of the 'Will attend' post date? :anicute:

The idea of this new feature is very good and I really would like to have it working. :laughing:

Another new nit:

A new cache was just published this morning near me and the "log type counts" show 2 reviewer notes and zero publish notes. Normally, reviewer notes, after they are archived, do not show up in the counts. The don't show for previous caches...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...6272b&log=y

Clipboard02.jpg

Followup:

The counts are not being accumulated properly. Or at least they are not being updated "Real Time"

Clipboard07.jpg

This is still happening

the counts are off by -1

Not sure if this is the same problem or not...really new at this but between yesterday & today something has changed....

When I search for caches in my zip code, once the list was up I could select to search for caches with google maps. When I would select this option I could see all the caches in the zip code area I selected (by moving the map around). Today when I select to search for caches on google maps it comes up blank with no caches.

Is this a change or a bug? :blink:

Groundspeak Developers:

Please please please purchase a Mac for your web development if only to check the site on Safari! It treats the CSS box model differently than other browsers (other unresolved problems include this and here at Waymarking).

The current problem is as so:

http://img.geocaching.com/user/ca9f12c3-34...9cc6f9d47e0.jpg

EDIT: Changed the image to a link to the image now that it has been fixed so as not to mess up the forums.

Edited by Shorelander

New format shows a cache title and then:

"a event cache by hidnseek"

Should be "an event", of course, and I think a/an should be capitalized.

e.g.

CCC Meet & Eat

An event cache by hidnseek

Not actually a big fan of the new boxes, sorry. And I really liked the images-display-on-hover.

The "greyed links only display for premium members" text has a red X which I can close to make go away, but I have to do this for every cache? Can there be an option to acknowledge that message "forever"? Or is this a ploy to get me to renew my PM? :blink:

I do really like the new maps on the cache pages, they actually mean something to me now where before all it really told me was that it was somewhere in my city. Well, I already knew that.. :(

Not actually a big fan of the new boxes, sorry.

Me either :blink: They force lots of whitespace. And they'd look tidier if they were the same width.

I agree with the comments on the cache size: needs to be capitalised and the correct indefinitive article used.

Most annoying for me (but nothing for Groundspeak to be concerned about) is that the download links are too far down the page to be easily clickable in the GSAK split screen :(

Edited to add: can the scale of the maps be tuned? I know it's difficult to please all the people, but the map in the location box is too small a scale to be useful, and the map lower down the page is too large a scale to be useful :lol:.

Edited by Alan White

New format shows a cache title and then:

"a event cache by hidnseek"

Should be "an event", of course, and I think a/an should be capitalized.

If the cache size isn't chosen for a cache which isn't an event, it says "a not chosen cache by...". Most webcam caches come into this category. I think it should say "a webcam cache" for those and, if no size is specified, just "a cache" for the others.

We're watching closely now!

The new 'Send to GPS' feature seems to have been implemented prematurely, since I cannot find the download link for the plug-in on the Garmin site. And now I see that the display of this link is being blanked out during page loading.

But note that SendToGPS is still an option from a list of caches -- the tiny icon to the far right.

building_go.png

The new 'Send to GPS' feature seems to have been implemented prematurely, since I cannot find the download link for the plug-in on the Garmin site. And now I see that the display of this link is being blanked out during page loading.

But note that SendToGPS is still an option from a list of caches -- the tiny icon to the far right.

building_go.png

I found the link to the Garmin Communicator Plugin It was in the web updater part. I tried it out before it disappered off the cache page, works fine on my 60Cx but you might lose a few numbers on the end with a yellow etrex

Edited by Ducky

building_go.png

I found the link to the Garmin Communicator Plugin It was in the web updater part. I tried it out before it disappered off the cache page, works fine on my 60Cx but you might lose a few numbers on the end with a yellow etrex

I found the plugin back on the 19th, because I happened to login to MyGarmin and noticed the new link.

Read about that here: link

Why is the Send To Phone link still up in the upper right corner box, with the bookmark link, etc, and the Send To GPS link is in the new box with the two downloaders?

Also why is there nothing that says "Garmin Only" or something.

On the other hand, I'm pleased because I have a Garmin 60Cx... Thanks guys!

Okay this has already been picked up in the United Kingdom Geocaching section.

When you choose to see a printable version of the page, normally you would see the waypoint of the cache, normally appears under the hidden date, it is missing.

Sorry of it has already been reported but I don't fancy trawling through hundreds of posts.

I have noticed that it is harder to find what the size of the cache is now. When you look at the cache page, it shows the name of the cache and then under it it shows "a (size) cache by (username)". I don't think it is a bug, but it really bugged me. I liked how it was on the side where it was more secluded and easy to find. What do y'all think?

I have noticed that it is harder to find what the size of the cache is now. When you look at the cache page, it shows the name of the cache and then under it it shows "a (size) cache by (username)". I don't think it is a bug, but it really bugged me. I liked how it was on the side where it was more secluded and easy to find. What do y'all think?

I was looking all over and could not find the cache size until I read this and looked there. So I don't like it initially but maybe it's just because it's different. I may have no issue with it once I get used to it and expect to see it there.

I'm not finding th maps on the cache page very useful though. Might as well just be an icon to click on, they're only useful once you make them larger (for me at least).

Don't know if this has been mentioned here or not yet but...

With the new cache page formatting there does not seem to be any instance of the GC# on the PDF print friendly page. I use GC#'s almost exclusively to reference and log caches in the field so not having the waypoint reference included on the print out means you would need to write it on manually after the page prints which IMO is lame. :D

I hope it's just a temporary oversight and not some decision that was made to omitt it on purpose, I hope to see the GC #'s back on the PDF pages again soon because I had planned to gear up soon for some more distant &/or complicated cache hunts that require the print-out.

Thanks!

M.D.

p.s.

so far the new changes look pretty good although I'm not sure if I like the cache size term "regular" as part of the author line. "A regular cache by..." could sorta give the impression that it's lame or nothing special, just your regular old cache by... Although I do like the sound of "A LARGE cache by..." :D

Maybe "mid-size" would be a better term to use in it's place...? ;)

Gaaah! Make it go away! My view with the new format is a lot like Shorelander's as posted above. Have pity on us who don't have huge monitors and/or who don't like letting one application take up all the screen real estate. Fixed widths are evil. Cache pages would look a lot better if you just deleted the

width="650"

for the disclaimer. Please consider it. I don't mind so much the home page being "too wide" for my puny monitor. But cache pages being hard to read is more annoying.

It looks fine when I get a list of caches closest to a given point. It is the pages about individual caches that are too wide (IMNSHO).

Ditto what GreyingJay said on the paid members only blurb. What is the sense of showing it on every cache listing page? Why not only on the PMO caches?

Edited by msrubble

Don't know if this has been mentioned here or not yet but...

With the new cache page formatting there does not seem to be any instance of the GC# on the PDF print friendly page. I use GC#'s almost exclusively to reference and log caches in the field so not having the waypoint reference included on the print out means you would need to write it on manually after the page prints which IMO is lame. ;)

I hope it's just a temporary oversight and not some decision that was made to omitt it on purpose, I hope to see the GC #'s back on the PDF pages again soon because I had planned to gear up soon for some more distant &/or complicated cache hunts that require the print-out.

Thanks!

M.D.

p.s.

so far the new changes look pretty good although I'm not sure if I like the cache size term "regular" as part of the author line. "A regular cache by..." could sorta give the impression that it's lame or nothing special, just your regular old cache by... Although I do like the sound of "A LARGE cache by..." :D

Maybe "mid-size" would be a better term to use in it's place...? :D

No changes were made to the PDF pages. Did you see it there before?

-Raine

-Raine

I seem to recall that it was, yes. Unfortunately my printouts have been trashed. Are you sure the PDF output doesn't grab some data from another part of the site which used to include the GC#? (like the cache title, along with the gc#)

-Raine

I still show the GC# on the PDF's (though the formatting is all messed up - 3 pages overlap on GCGV0P), but I don't show the GC# on the Printer-Friendly version (which I've never used before - so I don't know what it looked like before)

-Raine

I still show the GC# on the PDF's (though the formatting is all messed up - 3 pages overlap on GCGV0P), but I don't show the GC# on the Printer-Friendly version (which I've never used before - so I don't know what it looked like before)

I'm seeing the GC# in massive red text on the PDF however if I follow the Make this page Printer Friendly (No Logs) link it is not included in the page, this maybe where the problem is!

Generally i'm not keen on the new boxes. To be more exact on the amount of whitespace im now seeing. theres at least one line above the cache name, followed by another after the cache by line. Then if there are no attributes then the download box moves across the page to the right (or somewhere in the middle.

Then if there are loads of attributes or TBs in the cache, the rest of the page gets bumped down until this list has finished creating loads of space. I think the tables need to be fixed to allow things like the 'Please Note' box and cache description can sit next to the right hand TB boxes.

Also to echo another thread, i'm missing the watchlist numbers and the quick glance Size indication.

Edited by Bambography

Three opinions on the new cache page layout:

(1) putting the size of the cache on the line immediately under the name is a nice idea, except when the size is "not chosen". Sometimes that's deliberate -- for example, if a cache's size is a surprise element of the hide. In any case, this phrasing looks awkward:

notchosen.jpg

Maybe just change the cache size to a blank when it's not chosen? Then it would just read "a cache by..." in those cases.

(2) the width of the [LatLon] field that holds the coordinates (and actually, the whole 'Location' box) is too narrow for anyone who increases the default font size. That probably includes plenty of middle-aged+ users. This is one of the most important sections of the page, and it's really getting squeezed too much horizontally.

(3) the map in the [smlMap] field is too small and zoomed out too far (given its small size) to be very useful. Giving the Location box more space might allow an improved map.

I don't know if it takes bandwidth, but it certainly loads down my browser...

When I visit a page where the cache is unpublished -- like for example when one of my travelers gets checked into someone's personal 'coin bank' :D -- the new animated spinning boxes that are shown where the maps would eventually go are constantly running. If you aren't ever going to show a map, then why bother with the animated spinning boxes?

-- Scott