New Site Bugs

benh57

Having the pictures (even thumbnails) show in the cache log takes much longer for the page to load. Whether it is a spoiler or not, it's not necessary to show pictures in the logs. If people are interested in the pictures taken at the cache, they can just visit the gallery. I've noticed some caches where people have taken so many pictures, and showing the thumbnails on the log causes the cache page itself to be much wider than normal. It would seem that this change will slow the system down even more. Good luck to those with dial up or cell phones trying to download pages with pictures!

And imagine those old, still active, virtual caches that require a photo to be posted. Yikes!

Although only the last 5 logs are shown so not really a problem. Of course GM scripts can allow more, but you can uninstall that, especially since you can now see how many finds DNFs etc there are for a cache without this.

Another new nit:

A new cache was just published this morning near me and the "log type counts" show 2 reviewer notes and zero publish notes. Normally, reviewer notes, after they are archived, do not show up in the counts. The don't show for previous caches...

------------

Logged Visits ( 1 total. )

(Post Reviewer Note)2 (Publish Listing)0

------------

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...6272b&log=y

edit to include picture:

Clipboard02.jpg

Edited by wsgaskins

Having the pictures (even thumbnails) show in the cache log takes much longer for the page to load. Whether it is a spoiler or not, it's not necessary to show pictures in the logs. If people are interested in the pictures taken at the cache, they can just visit the gallery. I've noticed some caches where people have taken so many pictures, and showing the thumbnails on the log causes the cache page itself to be much wider than normal. It would seem that this change will slow the system down even more. Good luck to those with dial up or cell phones trying to download pages with pictures!

And imagine those old, still active, virtual caches that require a photo to be posted. Yikes!

Although only the last 5 logs are shown so not really a problem. Of course GM scripts can allow more, but you can uninstall that, especially since you can now see how many finds DNFs etc there are for a cache without this.

Well, I do have the GreaseMonkey script that automagically adds "&log=y" to the url for a cache page. I can disable that, but then it would require me to (most of the time) scroll way down and click "There are more logs. View them all on one page".

I prefer to see all the prior logs for a cache when I visit the page, rather than just the most recent few. So I'm all for the embedded log picture thumbnails, but I agree with the need for an added ability to mark some photos as spoilers and require an explicit click on them to view from the thumbnail. Maybe just the thumbnail could be pixelized so that it's not recognizable.

So it would change the thumbnail from this:

Clipboard03.jpg

to this:

Clipboard03-spoiler.jpg

Not a bug, but a request. If the thumbnail view of the photos ends up staying, is there anyway to insert a line break after say 7-8 images? Some folks post 10-20 photos and it makes the page width very long to side scroll through.

I agree that Firefox does a better job of displaying (and properly wrapping) thumbnails to the width of the available window. I just tested a page in IE6 and I see that it doesn't wrap the thumbnails properly. Does anyone have IE7 to test with? Does it do the same thing?

I wouldn't mind if the log pics wrapped after a certain number of images, but who's to say what is the right number? We all have different display sizes.

Not a bug, but a request. If the thumbnail view of the photos ends up staying, is there anyway to insert a line break after say 7-8 images? Some folks post 10-20 photos and it makes the page width very long to side scroll through.

I agree that Firefox does a better job of displaying (and properly wrapping) thumbnails to the width of the available window. I just tested a page in IE6 and I see that it doesn't wrap the thumbnails properly. Does anyone have IE7 to test with? Does it do the same thing?

I wouldn't mind if the log pics wrapped after a certain number of images, but who's to say what is the right number? We all have different display sizes.

I'm looking for one... but can't find a page with that many pictures in a log. If you can provide a link, I'll check it out.

I'm looking for one... but can't find a page with that many pictures in a log. If you can provide a link, I'll check it out.

Someone already did:

Yeah- i get that too.

But so far the changes that i see i really like. Especially the addition to thumbnails in the logs.

Thumbnails in the logs is great, but in case of many the cachelisting layout (width) changes and you need to scroll... :D

example

Someone already did:

Yeah- i get that too.

But so far the changes that i see i really like. Especially the addition to thumbnails in the logs.

Thumbnails in the logs is great, but in case of many the cachelisting layout (width) changes and you need to scroll... :D

example

Nope... doesn't wrap in IE7

I second this request. Other then that, I like the update. I still say Raine and the rest of the crew need a raise. :D

on some peoples profiles i see the link for "send this person a friends request?" followed by the yellow "new" symbol, but on other profiles tghere is a yellow new, but no link or anything?

also, typing geocaching.com in the URL tells me the sight is down for maintenanc, but clicking any link from the forums lets me on the site without a problem

also, typing geocaching.com in the URL tells me the sight is down for maintenanc, but clicking any link from the forums lets me on the site without a problem

It seems that the redirector for geocaching.com does not point over to www.geocaching.com like it should.

It seems that the redirector for geocaching.com does not point over to www.geocaching.com like it should.

... and this will cause trouble for all those thousands of geocoins out there that just say "track at geocaching.com" :D

All uploaded pictures (Spoilers) are now visible in the cachelisting. Is this a bug or a new feature? For me it is a big bug! :D

The images can also contain spoilers, which are not meant to be viewed immediately. Showing them on the cache page .. well, it spoils.

Jeez, I feel like I'm being so negative right now... but I totally agree with the above posts! The spoilers are now forced on us!! B)

I really don't want to have to look at spoilers in order to read through the logs on the cache page. Can't we just click (or at least hover) if we want to see the pics? I appreciate the work you guys are doing on the site... but I really hope this feature is rolled back or changed.

Weird one...

Bookmark lists. If you have more than one page on the bookmark, click on the next page link on the bottom...

It takes me back to the first page. Can't get to any of the other pages at all.

Hope I'm explaining this right.

Bret

Weird one...

Bookmark lists. If you have more than one page on the bookmark, click on the next page link on the bottom...

Bret

I believe this was a problem with the bookmark lists even before the upgrade last night. In addition to the problem you mention, if you have a long bookmark list and try to change the # of items displayed on the list (top right, pulldown w/ choices of 10, 15, 20, 25, 50), then the page redisplays with only page 1, but the page-navigation links at the bottom are gone. :D

Weird one...

Bret

Can you give me a link to a BM that's doing this?

-Raine

Weird one...

Bret

-Raine

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...2a-a1f7dd588ea2

contains 34 caches.

I can't adopt...

[ArgumentException: Column 'AccountFlags' does not belong to table Table.]

System.Data.DataRow.get_Item(String columnName) +121

Groundspeak.Web.SimpleUser.FillDataset(DataRow& UserDataRow) +236

Groundspeak.Web.SimpleUser..ctor(DataRow& UserData) +105

Groundspeak.Web.CustomWpt.ObjWpt.UserToAdopt() +82

Geocaching.UI.adopt_default.WptLookup(ObjWpt& Wpt) +53

Geocaching.UI.adopt_default.CheckForRequests() +207

Geocaching.UI.adopt_default.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +72

Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1320

Geocaching.UI.adopt_default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +92

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +772

First of all, I want to thank the people at Groundspeak for their time and effort to make this site run more smoothly. It is not going unnoticed, and it was almost like Christmas going through the new "toys" that you guys have opened for us.

I REALLY like the new log run-downs. Where you can see each type of log, and how many times it occured on a cache. GREAT WORK!

Just a couple things that I noticed that should be looked at:

First, I agree with the comments so far about it not being a good idea to have the photo's displayed. I think I liked them the way they were before with a thumbnail that we could hover over to see them.

Second, I noticed that with logs that have a lot of pictures....all the pictures are on one row. Meaning that the width of the cache page changes with the number of pictures on one of the logs. An example of what I am talking about is found on My Geo-Dog Event Page. Click on "View all logs on one page" and you will see what I am talking about.

First of all, I want to thank the people at Groundspeak for their time and effort to make this site run more smoothly. It is not going unnoticed, and it was almost like Christmas going through the new "toys" that you guys have opened for us.

I REALLY like the new log run-downs. Where you can see each type of log, and how many times it occured on a cache. GREAT WORK!

First, I agree with the comments so far about it not being a good idea to have the photo's displayed. I think I liked them the way they were before with a thumbnail that we could hover over to see them.

Second, I noticed that with logs that have a lot of pictures....all the pictures are on one row. Meaning that the width of the cache page changes with the number of pictures on one of the logs. An example of what I am talking about is found on My Geo-Dog Event Page. Click on "View all logs on one page" and you will see what I am talking about.

And then just as I hit reply....the problem seems to be fixed! WOW! Never mind on the problem then.....

I can't adopt...

[ArgumentException: Column 'AccountFlags' does not belong to table Table.]

System.Data.DataRow.get_Item(String columnName) +121

Groundspeak.Web.SimpleUser.FillDataset(DataRow& UserDataRow) +236

Groundspeak.Web.SimpleUser..ctor(DataRow& UserData) +105

Groundspeak.Web.CustomWpt.ObjWpt.UserToAdopt() +82

Geocaching.UI.adopt_default.WptLookup(ObjWpt& Wpt) +53

Geocaching.UI.adopt_default.CheckForRequests() +207

Geocaching.UI.adopt_default.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +72

Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1320

Geocaching.UI.adopt_default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +92

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +772

This should now be fixed...

Thanks for the bug report!

-Raine

And then just as I hit reply....the problem seems to be fixed! WOW! Never mind on the problem then.....

Lets hope this makes people happy :D

-Raine

Lets hope this makes people happy B)

-Raine

Thank you! The spoiler has been removed from my cache page. I feel much better now! :DB)

EDIT: just a couple bugs I noticed-- ya may already know but:

1) when I hover over the picture box it pops up an html tag

2) when I click the box and the flash style window comes up with the pic, pressing close once brings up a little scroll bar, then I have to press close again to actually close the box.

I'm using Firefox. Thanks again for hiding the spoilers!

Edited by Cache Heads

I'm unable to print a photo at the bottom of the listing that are added by the owner (like a spoiler photo). :D

I've got a workaround: via the Gallery you get normal clickable photoos. These are printable.

But when there's a lot of pictures, it's not handy.

Maybe an extra link aside of the photoname which takes you to a printable version of the picture?

Another bug found - I have a friend in my friends list. He has nearly 100 hides, but it shows him with zero hides. His find count is correct.

Here's a snapshot of this bug:

Clipboard05.jpg

wsgaskins...the photo in your friend listing is one of the problems i posted... how did you get it to display a photo?

I love the changes I've seen. I'm not sure if this is a Groundspeak bug or just that the NAD27 converter at jeeep.com has moved/been removed, but the link to convert at the top of the cache pages doesn't seem to work anymore. Anyone else have this problem?

Looks like the pics are gone from the log area. It's back to icons. I kinda liked the thumbnail photos displayed in the logs upfront.

I say bring it back.

I liked the thumbs too however didn't like the possibility of seeing a spoiler against my will. I hope that they come back with a new tag feature to say if a pic is a spoiler or not. Also with cache owners able to tag any photos on their cache.

Looks like the pics are gone from the log area. It's back to icons. I kinda liked the thumbnail photos displayed in the logs upfront.

I say bring it back.

I liked the thumbs too however didn't like the possibility of seeing a spoiler against my will. I hope that they come back with a new tag feature to say if a pic is a spoiler or not. Also with cache owners able to tag any photos on their cache.

I bet this is a case of a feature that would require a database upgrade. That info (whether a photo is a spoiler or not) is currently not in the database, so it would take a bit of overhaul to add it. Not something that will come quickly....

It seems that the images in logs have fallen back to the non-thumbnail version. So if we could only get a hover-over to pop-up the thumbnail then we'd be back to "normal".

Another bug found - I have a friend in my friends list. He has nearly 100 hides, but it shows him with zero hides. His find count is correct.

Here's a snapshot of this bug:

Clipboard05.jpg

wsgaskins...the photo in your friend listing is one of the problems i posted... how did you get it to display a photo?

What Raine said:

If you go and edit your profile. Its the "Avatar" picture.

-Raine

This is found at:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/details.aspx

scroll down in your profile to the part that says "Virtual You" and you can upload an avatar picture here as well as a photo to go onto your profile page.

1) Some pictures in the gallery are shown in full size and not as thumbnail.

2) If i visit a log there is a explanation about the cache type. This explanation also appears on a cache page but only if no user is logged it. This should be made consistent. I would prefer if this is shown only when no one is logged in no matter if cache or log.

3) I wonder how my friends are sorted. Would be great if this would be alphabetically and not more or less randomly.

Otherwise I really like the tiny news stuff. :P Thanks!

The way images are shown (or not shown) on the cache description page appears to be up in the air. If no thumbnail will be shown - and only an icon - then can we have the mouse-over preview re-enabled? That was a nice way to see the image - if you wanted to - by simply placing the cursor on that part of the screen.

That's my 2 cents.

Otherwise - the new features and changes are AWESOME!!!

Maine's oldest cache - The Fort Williams Cache, GC128 - is receiving a server error each time we try to retrieve the cache details.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gc128

results in:L

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.BuildCachePage() +26554

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.Page_UserNotLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +48

Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1185

Geocaching.UI.cache_details.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +598

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +750

Same result logged in or out, for several users in Maine, and for the cache owner (me!) :P

Help!

1) Some pictures in the gallery are shown in full size and not as thumbnail.

2) If i visit a log there is a explanation about the cache type. This explanation also appears on a cache page but only if no user is logged it. This should be made consistent. I would prefer if this is shown only when no one is logged in no matter if cache or log.

3) I wonder how my friends are sorted. Would be great if this would be alphabetically and not more or less randomly.

I noticed this same thing the other day (well before this upgrade) when I was logging some photos of a recent event. My photos showed up as tiny thumbnails, but others were large/full size.

Turned out that the pictures that were posted to the cache listing come up in the gallery as full size, but log-based photos are only thumbs in the gallery. Sounds like a problem to me, but it definitely existed prior to yesterday.

If you want to differentiate the photos posted with the cache from log-based photos, why not just have a different outline or shadow color for the cache-page ones? And, then of course, the cache-page pictures should always show up first in the gallery. The example listed above shows that this is not always the case.

A bug - granted, a minor one at that - that I've found is when viewing the cache page, the title and description are half-way down the page! Users have to scroll down, past the new "info" box to see the title, coords, and waypoint. Can the "info" box be listed under the title, with the title being at the top of the page? It just seems to make more sense. thanks for the upgrades, though! Keep up the good work!

At first I didn't notice this problem because it doesn't appear to be the case in FireFox. But then I was using GSAK (which uses IE as the embedded browser), and I see what you mean.

It seems to be caused by the "info box" at the top of the listing that is displayed only when you are not logged in. The box that describes the different cache types... multi/ traditional/ etc.

Yeah, that is strange. Why bother to tell people about the cache type when they are viewing an individual log message?

It looks like Friends list is sorted by the member since date.

Another new nit:

A new cache was just published this morning near me and the "log type counts" show 2 reviewer notes and zero publish notes. Normally, reviewer notes, after they are archived, do not show up in the counts. The don't show for previous caches...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...6272b&log=y

Clipboard02.jpg

Followup:

The counts are not being accumulated properly. Or at least they are not being updated "Real Time"

Clipboard07.jpg

I think it's a matter of taste but I liked the way the photo's were shown at the bottom of a log. FF displayed them well, IE didn't wrap them. That's fixable.

It would be a nice feature if the poster of a photo could mark it as a spoiler so it would be pixelized like wsgaskins shows in this post.

Weird one...

Bret

-Raine

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...2a-a1f7dd588ea2

contains 34 caches.

UPDATE:

This one seems to be working now. I can switch between pages of my bookmark list, as well as I can now properly change the # of caches listed per page. Thanks for the quick turnaround!