Friends List Feature!

benh57

:laughing: Nah, I don't wanna sort alphabetically, or by member date, either. Maybe the better word would be arrange in any order I chose, something like photos in Flickr sets -- a drag and drop kind of thing would be cool, although a list like points in a Streets and Trips route might work, but would be more cumbersome.

That's deep. The world likes a thinker. I think you have some aweome ideas!

Anybody out there know how to add pictures to your Friends - I have one friend with one, but don't know how they got it, it didn't come from their profile?

I tried that I guess I am doing something wrong????

You can't add a picture for them. They have to upload their own avatar image (you won't see it on their profile page). Once your friend does that, you will see their avatar on your friends page.

The thing I noticed is that for my friend (only one so far) it has their founds logged right but it lists their hidden as 0 and they have several hidden. Is everyones like that?

This is certainly an issue for me, however I believe it is a known issue that is being investigated.

Did something get fixed here? All of a sudden my friends are lining up well enough to make me happy. One is a smidge bigger than the others, but it isn't bumping the friend below it.

Mine are now bigger and only showing 2 per line, not 3 as before.

You'll be able to watch your friends in the near term (and get emails when they log caches).

I humbly submit that an RSS feed would be more useful. The "My Friends" page could have personalized links to RSS feeds with unique IDs encoded in the URL, much like all the other objects served by gc.com. Then I could use that link to sub to a feed in my browser or whatever, and have at my fingertips a list of a friend's recent caches, or throw it into aggregation to get my personal cache-buddy zeitgeist, whatever. Endless.

Then if our friendship sours and I blow you away, that UID goes away with the Friend link and the feed goes dark.

Please please please.

Chris

Edited by cwren

I humbly submit that an RSS feed would be more useful.

Unsaid was that it should be a feed of log entries. That gets me within two clicks of the caches my friends are doing, and a feed reader would basically show a concatenated list of logs, which sometimes read like a story, right? but often a story that I can only read by clicking on each cache in their recent finds and scrolling down: back, click, scroll, back, click scroll, back, click, scroll. Worse if it's a historical log because then it's off the bottom of the cache page and I have to reload with "all finds" and search.

People seem focused on the friendster-like quest for big numbers. I see this as an opportunity to elevate the log to a first class object in the system. Allowing caches to tell their stories through their logs and actually have them read. Creating a cache is a form of expression, but a relatively rare one even for the most prolific hiders. The lowly log is the cacher's way to express themselves day to day, and it's currently lost in the system.

thanks!

Chris

When viewing someones profile I think it would be good to see that they have 75 friends. I don't mean that one should be able to see the list of 75 people, just the statistic.

One more thing others will view as having to get the most of. :( Signing people up on the streets to have the biggest friend list. Laff JK! Good Luck with that!

Looks cool, just started to set mine up too. Of course if the email thing does go through and you have a lot of friends on the list you might be overwhelmed with email. Just a thought.

Getting an email when your friend logs a cache is a neat feature. However, I have a friend, a very insane one, who can do hundreds of caches a weekend. :rolleyes: Hopefully there will be something that bundles up the notifications or otherwise limits them when this happens! Also you could have a daily limit of notifications, and a page to go to to see all the glorious details.

It will be cool. But it doesn't do a whole lot at the moment. You'll be able to watch your friends in the near term (and get emails when they log caches).

Once we make sure the new db is helping with the scalability issues we'll get working on more features.

Hey Jeremy...

You mentioned the friends feature will eventually "be cool." Sweet! Here are the two huge features that would make my caching life with friends much better. I have been wishing for both of those functions to be been supported by geocaching.com. Either through pocket queries or through a search function.

1. Show me caches that my friend (or friends up to 4 maybe) have found, but I have not.

2. Show me caches that both my friend and I (or friends up to 4 maybe) have all not found.

The first one solves the problem of what caches to find, if you are on your own tonight, and want to get better sync'd up with a friend, by catching up to them.

The second one solves the trouble I constantly run into with caching with other cachers for the night. How do we know what caches we should try to find tonight, that none of us have ever found?

Jeremy, please consider making the friends function much more powerful! Thanks for all your hard work on the fantastic site!

1. Show me caches that my friend (or friends up to 4 maybe) have found, but I have not.

2. Show me caches that both my friend and I (or friends up to 4 maybe) have all not found.

In the Netherlands we have a Google map which does these things for two people. It only works for caches in the Netherlands, Belgium, France and 30km of west Germany.

Groundspeak could make this too (for the whole world).

...Jeremy, please consider making the friends function much more powerful! Thanks for all your hard work on the fantastic site!

Any update on if/when we'll see a friends notification system?