Friends List Feature!

benh57

It will be cool. But it doesn't do a whole lot at the moment. You'll be able to watch your friends in the near term (and get emails when they log caches).

Would you mind saying what some of those cool things will be when they finally roll out? I'm getting friends requests, and before I start accepting I'd kind of like to know what I'm getting into.

Ditto what he said :P

I have several friend requests and don't want to accept any until I know I can opt out of email notifications. It would be cool to see what friends are up to from the list itself, but I really don't want emails every time a friend logs a cache or posts in the forums. It would be way too much.

Can you clarify this feature please?

Okay, here's a question - kinda along the summary idea.

Will it be possible to turn off/on email from friends logs?

I know some where, after about 20 logs, it degrades to copy 'n paste. If a friend hits a ton of caches over a weekend, that's a ton of the same thing over and over.

It'd also be nice to turn it off if I go on vacation, without having to remove my friend from my list.

Will it be possible to turn off/on email from friends logs?

I know some where, after about 20 logs, it degrades to copy 'n paste. If a friend hits a ton of caches over a weekend, that's a ton of the same thing over and over.

Or, tell your friend to write better logs! :P

Okay-- hi. Mr Ant-Social here again... :P

SO... is there away to just block all friend requests? I'd rather have people automatically know that we simply don't accept friends requests than deny/ignore them on an individual basis. Seems kind of rude and uncomfortable to have to deny individual friend requests-- I'd rather cachers just get a message/error that says "we're sorry the user you have selected does not accept friend requests". :)

I think this is a good idea. A generic message could read "This user has not enabled their friends feature."

Okay-- hi. Mr Ant-Social here again... :P

SO... is there away to just block all friend requests? I'd rather have people automatically know that we simply don't accept friends requests than deny/ignore them on an individual basis. Seems kind of rude and uncomfortable to have to deny individual friend requests-- I'd rather cachers just get a message/error that says "we're sorry the user you have selected does not accept friend requests". :)

I think this is a good idea. A generic message could read "This user has not enabled their friends feature."

Try to get Jeremy to be your friend. You can see how you are notified that he doesn't accept friend request.

reposted in the bugs thread

For some reason when a friend requested me as their friend the email address it was sent to is NOT the current one I have registered on my profile. I guess it went to the one I created the account with, back in 2003.

Anyhoo, since I still own that account I thought it would be ok, except now I get the "This Friend Request is not for you :P." error message.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thank you

TB

You would have to log onto the account from back in 2003 to accept/deny that request.

You would have to log onto the account from back in 2003 to accept/deny that request.

Sorry for the confusion. The gc.com account is the same always and only TokyoBlossom.

The email account is what is changed, and I get email on both. The 2nd email account is the one currently associated with my TokyoBlossom profile, but requests are going to an old 1st email account.

But thank you for replying.

I think the problem is the email address that the friend request is sent to is clashing with my profile email address, so just clicking the link in the email returns the "This Friend Request is not for you " error message, instead of accepting normally.

Edited by TokyoBlossom

Of course once you accept a request you have to extend a request back to the person who sent you it. It can't be automatic.

Perhaps some people are my friends but I'm not their friends. There goes my paranoia again.

I believe it is automatic. When a friend accepted my invite, I appeared in his list straight away. This way you can always tell who has you listed as you will also have them in your list.

Some people have complained that they may not want to get a lot of emails relating to their friends' caching experiences. For me, this is the main reason to have the frineds listig. I really want to know what my friends found and did not find on a given day.

Another way to address this issue would be to provide a link to the friends' My logs table (you know the one that shows up on his http://www.geocaching.com/my/ page. Something like this would provide me access to my friends' logs in a much more efficient way than is now possible.

And I'd like to repeat that I am interested in something more than "Found" emails or logs. I'm very interested in DNF logs as well as that is where some of the best stories can be found.

Any options that we add to the Friends list feature will be "opt out of" for people so don't worry.

-Raine

So any new functionality added to the Friends feature will default to an opt-out setting? If so, while it doesn't answer my question, it does totally address my concerns, particularly from a Privacy standpoint. :)

Edited by Nazgul

Looks like a cool feature.

How do I see who my friends' friends are? This is a feature in LinkedIn and it was the first thing that popped into my mind when I got my first request yesterday. It seems like this is a natural feature for the profile page.

// In nerd-speak

if (profileCacher.IsFriend(me))

DisplayTab(profilePage);

Looks like a cool feature.

How do I see who my friends' friends are? This is a feature in LinkedIn and it was the first thing that popped into my mind when I got my first request yesterday. It seems like this is a natural feature for the profile page.

// In nerd-speak

if (profileCacher.IsFriend(me))

DisplayTab(profilePage);

There is a new link at the top of your details page called 'my friends'.

It will be cool. But it doesn't do a whole lot at the moment. You'll be able to watch your friends in the near term (and get emails when they log caches).

Hmm, is the email-on-log optional i hope? I don't see an option for it yet (unless its just not in yet)

Could be useful, but for people who have a lot of friends, could be a lot of email!

Thanks!

Lots of mail?

If someone has 40 friends and they average 15 finds each on a Saturday, that would be 600 individual e-mails. Can I opt for a daily summary and only get 40 e-mails on Sunday?

I second this!!!! One of my friends is close to 10K and finds well over 100 in a weekend. I get plenty of emails from the 50+ caches that I own plus the 50+ caches on my watchlist, I would opt to have a summary email every week with the weekly notification for new caches.

Is their anyway to see an online status for your friends? Could we go to our friends list and see that "insert friends name here" is currently online, and that "insert another friends name here" was last online 3 hours and 12 minutes ago?

How do I see who my friends' friends are?

Yes I want to know too.

But here is a question or two.

I thought that accepting friendship would NOT automatically extend friendship back to the original extender so I extended an offer to him. Now I have a pending offer and wonder if I cancel it will it drop me from his list or drop him from my list in addition to just removing the extraneous offer?

If it is automatically extended when you accept then do you have to be wary of accepting friendship in the following circumstance? I am friends with a couple of cachers, but know that they are definately not friends with eachother. I guess I don't want to have either in my list, but more importantly I guess I can't be in either of their lists?

confused? Yes I am also!

Would you mind saying what some of those cool things will be when they finally roll out? I'm getting friends requests, and before I start accepting I'd kind of like to know what I'm getting into.

Ditto what he said :laughing:

I have several friend requests and don't want to accept any until I know I can opt out of email notifications. It would be cool to see what friends are up to from the list itself, but I really don't want emails every time a friend logs a cache or posts in the forums. It would be way too much.

Can you clarify this feature please?

The way that I see it....you can accept the friends, and if you don't like how it is set up or if you do in fact get emails that you don't want...then you can remove your friends!

I can't guarantee that I understood what you were saying here....but this is what I understood you to say. If I got it wrong then I apologize.

But here is a question or two.

I thought that accepting friendship would NOT automatically extend friendship back to the original extender so I extended an offer to him. Now I have a pending offer and wonder if I cancel it will it drop me from his list or drop him from my list in addition to just removing the extraneous offer?

If person "A" sends an invite to person "B" and person "B" accepts....then person "A" and person "B" are friends. No additional invitations are required.

If it is automatically extended when you accept then do you have to be wary of accepting friendship in the following circumstance? I am friends with a couple of cachers, but know that they are definately not friends with eachother. I guess I don't want to have either in my list, but more importantly I guess I can't be in either of their lists?

This is what I gathered:

Person "A" sends an invite to person "B" and person "C"....person "B" and person "C" do not get along with each other, but they both get along with person "A" .... If both person "B" and person "C" accepts the invite from person "A" they are not all on one community list. Person "B" and person "C" would have to send each other invites to be on each others list.

I am new to this feature just like everyone else....it's just I experimented with the feature on my sisters Geo-account to see what would happen under different senarios.

Edited by Super_Nate

If person "A" sends an invite to person "B" and person "B" accepts....then person "A" and person "B" are friends. No additional invitations are required.

Person "A" sends an invite to person "B" and person "C"....person "B" and person "C" do not get along with each other, but they both get along with person "A" .... If both person "B" and person "C" accepts the invite from person "A" they are not all on one community list. Person "B" and person "C" would have to send each other invites to be on each others list.

I am new to this feature just like everyone else....it's just I experimented with the feature on my sisters Geo-account to see what would happen under different senarios.

Here goes I think. And everyone is new to this feature at this point.

I (A) accepted an offer of friendship from B. So in my profile I see B in my list. Currently I don't know if B sees A in his profile Friendship list so I sent an offer to B. He has not accepted since he probably already has A in his list (done automatically if that's the case).

There are actually 2 friendship lists, mine and the person who extended friendship to me. If a reciprocal acceptance is automatic then there could possible be twice as many offers then there needs be.

I (C this time) am friends with D and E. D and E are quite unfriendly to eachother. If I can see D's list or E's list then D can see E's list or E can see D's list, right? Standard logic there. But being so new to this feature I'm not sure if I can see someone elses list yet. But if that can be done, I don't want D to hate me since he sees that I'm friends with E, or E to hate me if she sees that I'm friends with D. Well actually, they both know that I am friendly with each of them and don't much comment on it. But this feature could enflame similar rivalries. Right? Of course there is no community list, but if it's possible to see anyone elses list then they could see friendships that they probably would disagree with.

I hope this is clear. But I know that quite a few recent posts of mine have been confusing and/or misunderstood.

I want to make sure my original question doesn't get lost in Nate's answer. I'd like to see who my friends' friends are. While it would be nice to view anyones' friends list, I can understand some people getting uptight about that relationship being public. So, I'd like to suggest that

1. All friend lists are public and this fact is made obvious
  2. Friend lists are private by default but anyone can choose to publish their friend lists. Anyone who doesn't like the fact that they are seen to be friends in public can revoke their friendship
  3. Friend lists are viewable only among friends

My rationale for this is that I know quite a few cachers in different locations. If I look at one of my friends lists, I will likely see people that I know and have gone caching with. I'd like to add them to my friend list as well. This is one of the ways that LinkedIn works and it works reasonably well.

I like the feature and I'm not really complaining, I'm just adding feedback.

Here goes I think. And everyone is new to this feature at this point.

I (A) accepted an offer of friendship from B. So in my profile I see B in my list. Currently I don't know if B sees A in his profile Friendship list so I sent an offer to B. He has not accepted since he probably already has A in his list (done automatically if that's the case).

There are actually 2 friendship lists, mine and the person who extended friendship to me. If a reciprocal acceptance is automatic then there could possible be twice as many offers then there needs be.

I used my sisters account as a friendship testing center...she allowed me to do it, so here goes.

I sent her an invite, and she accepted. My name was automatically put into her friends list without her having to send me an invite. I then logged into my account and her name was officially in my friends list.

After one person accepts, no more invites are required. One invite per two accounts.

I (C this time) am friends with D and E. D and E are quite unfriendly to eachother. If I can see D's list or E's list then D can see E's list or E can see D's list, right? Standard logic there. But being so new to this feature I'm not sure if I can see someone elses list yet. But if that can be done, I don't want D to hate me since he sees that I'm friends with E, or E to hate me if she sees that I'm friends with D. Well actually, they both know that I am friendly with each of them and don't much comment on it. But this feature could enflame similar rivalries. Right? Of course there is no community list, but if it's possible to see anyone elses list then they could see friendships that they probably would disagree with.

Right now I have 7 friends on my friends list. When I logged into my sisters account...she had no way of seeing who my friends were.

Note to the lackeys: I think that is the way it should be due to some tense relationships out there.

It would be nice to see the Events my Friends will attend in the next month.

Also, in their list as well as in mine, it would be nice to have that Event list

displayed by event date, rather then by Will Attend log date.

Of course, it would be sorted accordingly.

Basically all social networking web sites allow you to view other people's friends.. on some it's optional if you aren't fiends (linkedin) on others, not optional (myspace). Once you're friends on linkedin though, you can see your friends' friends.

Basically all social networking web sites allow you to view other people's friends.. on some it's optional if you aren't fiends (linkedin) on others, not optional (myspace). Once you're friends on linkedin though, you can see your friends' friends.

This isn't really a "social networking" website. We don't really need to know who our friend's friends are. Sure, there are a lot of social aspects, which I appreciate. I see the "friends" feature as a nice shortcut to a friend's profile or to send them an email without having to type in and search for the name as before. A quick view of total caches is also nice for those in friendly competetion. :laughing:

This isn't really a "social networking" website. We don't really need to know who our friend's friends are. Sure, there are a lot of social aspects, which I appreciate. I see the "friends" feature as a nice shortcut to a friend's profile or to send them an email without having to type in and search for the name as before. A quick view of total caches is also nice for those in friendly competetion. <_<

That's the way I see it as well. I believe there should be some degree of control and privacy. It's just a tool of convenience. It's a great feature as is, even before all the little bugs are worked out. :D

Any options that we add to the Friends list feature will be "opt out of" for people so don't worry.

-Raine

So any new functionality added to the Friends feature will default to an opt-out setting? If so, while it doesn't answer my question, it does totally address my concerns, particularly from a Privacy standpoint.

Will there be any confirmation of this from TPTB/Lackeys or can I stop checking this thread? <_<

-Raine

So any new functionality added to the Friends feature will default to an opt-out setting? If so, while it doesn't answer my question, it does totally address my concerns, particularly from a Privacy standpoint.

Will there be any confirmation of this from TPTB/Lackeys or can I stop checking this thread? <_<

Um... I think Raine confirmed it pretty well. They aren't morons and understand the issue that people don't want to be spammed by default.

Love this new feature! I think it would be nice if we could somehow drag and drop to organize how our friends list is sorted. I'd prefer to see my regular caching buddies at the top of my list and others with whom I interact less frequently listed further down. I realize TPTB are focused on bug fixes at the moment, but perhaps in the future this feature could be tweaked a bit.

Thanks for all your hard work!

I'll be interested in what things are added to take advantage of this feature, but I am building my friends list now.

However, seems to be a bug in the table layout (too lazy to dig through the code, but it looks like my first friend might be taking up two rows in the table):

friends.jpg

Edit, I guess I should put this in the bug thread, so I'll cross post there.

Edited by ThePropers

One question about getting emails about your friends' logs - do they see a log when you post a new cache? If so doesn't this give them an advance warning that there is going to be a new cache published soon?

Gee I like this new feature!

My hope is to be the most popular cacher in the world lol

So why doesn't everyone send me a friend request :D

<_<:D:D

I hope this is clear. But I know that quite a few recent posts of mine have been confusing and/or misunderstood.

Does this mean I should wear a name tag on Sunday to the event with the name "E" on it? :D

Edited by WeatherednBoston

Does this mean I should wear a name tag on Sunday to the event with the name "E" on it? <_<

Guilty as charged. LOL.

But how can one be the most popular cacher when apparently nobody else can see the friends list of anyone else? Should they implement a stat that's shown somewhere?

Edited by trainlove

Um... I think Raine confirmed it pretty well. They aren't morons and understand the issue that people don't want to be spammed by default.

Um... I'm just asking for a simple confirmation of my question, since what Raine said wasn't 100% clear on that point. I didn't suggest that they were morons, and this really has nothing to do with spam. And please, my question was directed to them, and not you, because you simply cannot answer it.

LineUp.jpg

Yup, I have a line up problem, too. I thought it might be related to the size of somebody's avatar, but I'm not sure as I'm not knowledgeable about those types of things. It's just that things aren't lining up in nice neat rows, like I like. :P

And I'll second the "Could we have the ability to arrange the order of our friends" request. I love that I'm near the top of most of my friends' lists, but that probably isn't what most of them want, and I'd like to rearrange a few of mine.

Thanks for all the fun of playing with new features.

Edited by FluteFace

Feature enhancement request and hypothetical situation.

When viewing someones profile I think it would be good to see that they have 75 friends. I don't mean that one should be able to see the list of 75 people, just the statistic.

I don't think that a friendship should be automatically 2 way. I mean that when A sends a friend request to B and B accepts. It should not automatically be that a also appears in B's list. Here is one reason why. Lets take Jeremy as an example. He surely has a lot of friends and would probably have them in his friends list. But some of them if not a whole lot of them I'm sure he wouldn't to appear in their lists.

Well I guess that's not really clear. So here is another situation. A popular person has a lot of friends, but a lot of those friends don't consider that pop-ular person to be their friend.

I love this new feature! Great job! It makes it convenient to have all of your friends in one area. It is nice when I am away from Outlook – as I have a links for e-mailing friends in one spot without having to look them up each time.

Yup, I have a line up problem, too. I thought it might be related to the size of somebody's avatar, but I'm not sure as I'm not knowledgeable about those types of things. It's just that things aren't lining up in nice neat rows, like I like. :anicute:

And I'll second the "Could we have the ability to arrange the order of our friends" request. I love that I'm near the top of most of my friends' lists, but that probably isn't what most of them want, and I'd like to rearrange a few of mine.

Yup, I have a line up problem as well, Flutey. I would love to be able to sort the tiles too - although sorting alphabetically would place me near the bottom of your list. :laughing:

As far as e-mailed logs we now know that will be a selectable function. AND as far as privacy - we have always had the ability to quick link to “see what someone’s up to” and read their logs on the hide and seek page. Hey folks - you are posting to the internet when you log – there is nothing private about that!

When viewing someones profile I think it would be good to see that they have 75 friends. I don't mean that one should be able to see the list of 75 people, just the statistic.

I have to agree, I don’t believe your “friends” page should be public – there are other sites for this kind of thing. But, I do not think I want to know if someone has 75 friends or 1 friend – it doesn’t really mean anything to me – should it? This is geocaching dot com not popularity dot com. The popular people will be popular and the rest of us will be the rest of us – who cares? I guess if the number of friends one has is destined to be a stat – so be it – I just won’t have any need or use for it.

Yup, I have a line up problem as well, Flutey. I would love to be able to sort the tiles too - although sorting alphabetically would place me near the bottom of your list. :anicute:

:laughing: Nah, I don't wanna sort alphabetically, or by member date, either. Maybe the better word would be arrange in any order I chose, something like photos in Flickr sets -- a drag and drop kind of thing would be cool, although a list like points in a Streets and Trips route might work, but would be more cumbersome.