Paperless with PDA

I am looking at going paperless for caching. I don't want to spend a lot of money, so I am wondering if any one is using the Palm Z22 for caching?

I know the Tungsten E2 Handheld would be better, but is twice the money. I would most likely just use this for caching.

Another question is if anyone is using a smartphone ie Treo or MotoQ? My cell contract is almost up and I might just wait to get one of those if it would work.

I am looking at going paperless for caching. I don't want to spend a lot of money, so I am wondering if any one is using the Palm Z22 for caching?

I know the Tungsten E2 Handheld would be better, but is twice the money. I would most likely just use this for caching.

Another question is if anyone is using a smartphone ie Treo or MotoQ? My cell contract is almost up and I might just wait to get one of those if it would work.

I'm using an old Handspring. Not good for much these days, but it's perfect for geocaching.

Lots o' people use the IIIxe even. Can get them on ebay for less than $30.

Me, I have a t/x that I use it for nursing school and happen to have cachmate on.

The number of caches seems to be the limitation. I know someone who keeps about 2500

on her Z22. Also, better to go cheaper if you're worried about losing or breaking while caching.

What Ann said. If you need a PDA for lots of other things, you probably already HAVE one, and it will run Cachemate just fine.

If you're getting it just for caching, then get the simplest, cheapest one you can find on eBay. I found the IBM brand-named version of the Palm 500 for peanuts, and it does more than I'll ever need. Plus you can download lots of freeware such as gas mileage logs, expense trackers, simple games and such also.

One caveat: Some of the much older PDAs have connector cords that end in a 9-pin serial plug - and lots of modern computers don't those any more. Try to find one with a USB cable. There are serial-to-USB adapters, but they can be problematic. I bought two different ones and can't get either one to work flawlessly. Finally found a USB cable to fit my PDA. Problem solved.

Get GSAK for your computer and Cachemate for your PDA. Seamless updates and lots more from pocket queries.

If you spend more than $60 you are spending money you dont need to and will never get the utility from. $300 is WAY too much - its like buying a new modern computer and then loading DOS 3.1 to run "MS Notepad" on it - what a waste.

Your analogy doesn't work. In the early years, everybody that bought a computer for the first time had no real use for it and yet they spent the $2000 to balance a checkbook and write the occasional letter. Look at where we are today. That's how far forward you have to look when you buy a device such as a Palm or PPC.

My first Palm purchase was like my first PC purchase. It didn't exactly meet the need of all the things I needed to do, but it gave me an idea of what I was really looking for when I made my next purchase. Today, I use the PPC for far more than gaming.

I bought two Palm IIIxe's. One I use and one as a backup for the future. I use gsak and cachemate. I think it's a great setup. the xe's are so darn cheap. I was goin to buy a pda years ago but until I went paperless never could figure a reason to spend the money. Both my xe's were less than 20 bucks.

I use Cachemate on my Palm. There is both a Palm and PPC version of Cachemate.

I am going to buy the Z22 soon. I recently downloaded GSAK and think it will take a lot time to get used to and all of the info is already on the gc.com, so I would rather not have all that info on my computer. What I was wondering is if GSAK is necessary for the Z22?

Also what program would be the best and easiest to use on the Z22? I am thinking about the cachmate program that I have seen mentioned several times, but haven't really read anything about it. What about GPS Spinner and Plucker, are those easy to use and a good program?

Spinner and Plucker are free. However, from what I have read here, they involve a few more steps than the GSAK/Cachemate combination.

I used Spinner for a while, but didn't care for it compared to GSAK. Although GSAK might be daunting when you start out, once you figure out the Filter Dialogue box, and the "Centerpoint" feature, it is very easy to use and such a time saver. It opens the zipped PQ files. Then from GSAK, you send the filtered waypoints to your GPSr, Export the waypoints to your mapping software, to see how the caches look on your map, then Export in the correct format for Cachemate. GSAK puts that file in the correct place so it will be installed on the next HotSync.

Here is a rudimentary GSAK tutorial that might help you. :D

I bought two Palm IIIxe's. One I use and one as a backup for the future. I use gsak and cachemate. I think it's a great setup. the xe's are so darn cheap. I was goin to buy a pda years ago but until I went paperless never could figure a reason to spend the money. Both my xe's were less than 20 bucks.

Sure wish i could find the sweet deals you got!!

I looked on amazon and they want 57.84 for a used one. :D E-bay didn't fair out no better... I also checked my local shopper newspaper and craigs list.

Any hints on how i also can enjoy the benefits of a Palm IIIXe for such a cheap price?

Any help is most appreciated. Really love to have that info at my finger tips when i'm out in the geocaching field.

Edited by danny_1970_gps

Keep checking eBay. I have a Palm M500 I have had for several years. I've been using it for Geocaching with Cachemate installed for more than two years now and it works great. A friend got one of those on eBay for only $30.00, and that included the shipping. :D

yeah ya just gotta keep lookin. I just saw a brand new Palm IIIxe in the unopened box that went for 21 bucks and 9 bucks shippin. They are there ya just gotta be patient and keep your eyes open. You really don't need the software you can download it along with the instruction book on line. You need the palm and the cradle. I will admitt though they are becoming more popular on ebay. I guess more and more people are geocaching LOL.

I like my xe. It's a bit dated but it does everything I want of geocaching. You can get fancey with maps and such on some of the othere and I can see that would nice. I may go that way later but for now the xe is just fine. The other thing I like is the replaceable batteries.

Probably to late but heres one for 5 bucks....120121338315 heres another for 5 bucks 290117199825 one more for 7 bucks. 320115164010

Now they may not end up for this price but I'll bet at least one will go for less than 20 bucks or darn close shipped.

Edited by thumbs1

I got a Palm m130 from an ad on craigslist for $40. It works great with cachemate installed. It connects via USB which i would much rather have than a serial connection.

I always check craigslist (if you live in a populated area) before buying on eBay. As time goes on I am hating the hassle with eBay.

Thanx for your help everyone. I bidded on a Palm IIIxe but it went over 30 dollars and I was outbidded.

Hopefully, in time, i will get hold of one without going over 30. Meanwhile, i can have fun going after

caches one at a time after i read up on the one i'm going after at home.

--danny

ps. if u r reading this and have one to sell, give me a shout.

I got a Palm m130 from an ad on craigslist for $40. It works great with cachemate installed. It connects via USB which i would much rather have than a serial connection.

I always check craigslist (if you live in a populated area) before buying on eBay. As time goes on I am hating the hassle with eBay.

Thanx for your help everyone. I bidded on a Palm IIIxe but it went over 30 dollars and I was outbidded.

Hopefully, in time, i will get hold of one without going over 30. Meanwhile, i can have fun going after

caches one at a time after i read up on the one i'm going after at home.

--danny

ps. if u r reading this and have one to sell, give me a shout.

Check for handspring visors as well, it uses the Palm OS and connects via a usb cord/cradle. I just started paperless this week and have over 500 caches on it and could easily fit another 500.

I have a couple questions. Is 8mb enough?

What does the PDA show on the screen, the

exact thing as your home computer?

How many cache pages of info can you put

into a 8mb PDA? Some users say you need 2

PDA's, whats the point of that? Once you get

your PDA, many folks say to get Cachemate

and GSAK together. Is that kinda the standard

for a novice like myself? Are they hard to install?

Thanks, I'm thinking about moving into the next

level of this sport with a PDA.

ashann

I have a couple questions. Is 8mb enough?

What does the PDA show on the screen, the

exact thing as your home computer?

How many cache pages of info can you put

into a 8mb PDA? Some users say you need 2

PDA's, whats the point of that? Once you get

your PDA, many folks say to get Cachemate

and GSAK together. Is that kinda the standard

for a novice like myself? Are they hard to install?

Thanks, I'm thinking about moving into the next

level of this sport with a PDA.

ashann

If you are just using the Palm for caching then 8MB is enough. Edited by TrailGators

I don't know what they need two for, i only use one. No it does not show the exact thing as your computer. It doesn't show picts just the info for the cache. The 8mg has plenty of room. I download 100 caches at a time and there is tons more room. (I really don't know why I download 100)

I use Cachemate on the pda and GSAK on the gps. Great way to go paperless. I know there are other programs out there but it seems like an awful lot of people use them.