National Park Service owned land

cgmoyer

Hello, first post and will be looking for my first geocache this weekend. How would I find out if I can hide a geocache on land owned by the NPS? It is a beach type area with lots of bike trails, sites of interest, etc. Sorry if this has been answered before. I have spent the last 3-4 days reading up on this great new hobby I heard about!

Welcome to the Forums! :laughing:

Caches are not allowed in National Parks. Sometimes State or City Parks have restrictions and require written permission and permits.

You might find some grandfathered "Virtual" caches in National Parks. These are caches without physical containers. Those are no longer listed on this site, but those that were on GC.com prior to the creation of Waymarking.com are still around. :anitongue:

Hello, first post and will be looking for my first geocache this weekend. How would I find out if I can hide a geocache on land owned by the NPS? It is a beach type area with lots of bike trails, sites of interest, etc. Sorry if this has been answered before. I have spent the last 3-4 days reading up on this great new hobby I heard about!

Look for signs at this park/area and see if they tell you who owns/manages that area, also the actual name of the area can be helpful.

Review maps of your area, both online, and paper. Some road maps might help, but there are also probably better 'sportsmans atlas' and such that may do a better job of marking the parks. You might also see if there are websites for the park systems in your area (city, county, state, etc), they may list or map the locations of their areas.

Ask other people that know the area, or have caches there. They may know who owns/manages that area.

You could also try your county assessors? office, and see what the county plat maps say (ie whos paying the taxes on the area of interest).

You could also try your county assessors? office, and see what the county plat maps say (ie whos paying the taxes on the area of interest).

Many county assessors are starting to put their plat maps online. If you can find the county's website, then look for "online mapping", "GIS Maps", or similar, you can look up property ownership similar to finding things on Google Earth.

Edited by ISUDogCachers

The NPS has a general ban on caches. However local managers sometimes permit caches on NPS lands. They do have discression. That said most follow the general policy.

The local managers have discretion to ignore the NPS's general ban? What a weird system.

I'm not sure its actually a outright ban, more of a 'our policy is to throw them away as litter if found, and we don't want them here, and everyone knows this. but if you can talk the person in charge of that area locally into it, and can prove it, then maybe it can be listed' type thing.

Of course I'm not sure thats any less weird :D