Etrex Cx accessory question

I'm looking for a windscreen suction mount and a car charger for an eTrex Venture Cx (identical to Legend Cx). The colour eTrex Cx Models arent the same size as the B&W eTrex, and they use a USB connection for data and power.

The Garmin (and Gilson on johnny Appleseed) car chargers are around A$50, will there be a problem with getting a A$5 charger adaptor off ebay and plugging USB into it? eg this one? They look like being 5v, does this suit the eTrex?

I have seen the genuine Garmin windscreen suction mounts for A$39 on eBay (I use this with the Map60C at work, no dramas). Des the Etrex mount match the Etrex Cx?

I've seen ram mounts etc etc and thats all very nice but having gotten a GPS for A$220 I am loath to spend half that again on simple accessories.

Thanks.

I got the beanbag automount and cigarette-lighter adapter in a package deal along with the City Navigator maps. If you already have the maps, or don't need them, there are less-expensive alternatives other than the name-brand items that will work. The mount I have worked for my old monochrome Vista as well as my current GPSr, a Vista C.

I bought a belkin USB adapter like the one you are looking at, it works great with my legendC and vistaCX. I also have the garmin windshield mount, it's ok, no were near as stable as the RAM mount I use with my 60cx.

In all my cars the garmin etrex mount tend to vibrate and get bouncing, unless I make sure the bottom of GPSr rests on dash... then its a non-issue.

The garmin windshield mount comes with the back cover plate for the old B&W etrex models, you will need to use the mount adapter that came with your color etrex to use the mount(it threads into the back of your battery cover).

I bought a belkin USB adapter like the one you are looking at, it works great with my legendC and vistaCX. I also have the garmin windshield mount, it's ok, no were near as stable as the RAM mount I use with my 60cx.

In all my cars the garmin etrex mount tend to vibrate and get bouncing, unless I make sure the bottom of GPSr rests on dash... then its a non-issue.

The garmin windshield mount comes with the back cover plate for the old B&W etrex models, you will need to use the mount adapter that came with your color etrex to use the mount(it threads into the back of your battery cover).

Negative. My new Venture Cx fits in my windshield and beanbag mounts I had for my 60cs. The Venture Cx comes with a small clip-on adapter that slips into the battery cover. Works like a charm and will also fit into Garmin's carrying pouch which I highly recommend. Stay away from Gilsson's covers for the Etrex; I did not like them - but I did like their version for the 60cs. I drive a 4X4 Tacoma; suspension is harsh, but I don't have hogrod's bouncing/vibrating problems. With the 60cs I did have to rest the bottom on the dash, but the Etrex is very light. Do be careful with the USB DC adapter you get; make sure it puts out 5 volts. You can go under a bit, but not over. It may not fry it right away, but over time the heat generated from too much voltage will fry something.

Do be careful with the USB DC adapter you get; make sure it puts out 5 volts. You can go under a bit, but not over. It may not fry it right away, but over time the heat generated from too much voltage will fry something.

So if the power adaptor must be 5w or less, this one looks OK?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BLACK-USB-CAR-CHARG...1QQcmdZViewItem

on the photo it shows that it's doing 5w out... or should I find a 3w to be sure?

Thanks.

As regards the USB power adapter this bit may help:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=2857440

As far as I understand a USB cable must adhere to certain standards and one of them is the voltage.

Thanks for that.

Yeah I understand about USB delivering 5v but I was concerned that the Cx's want 3v, would supplying 5v damage them?

It appears that several people are using RAZR chargers with no problem, so I might give it a go...