Spam etc.

The email address in our profile is used solely for caching.

We have just returned from a 3 night caching trip to find 20 spam emails waiting for us. This has not happened before on our geocache account address.

Has anyone else just started receiving this offensive junk?

I just started getting a lot very recently. Like what (er, not necessarily too specific!). Photoshop, perhaps?

Yes, the last 5-6 were photoshop.

We've just had a few days away and come back to find our in box full of junk. Most of yesterdays related o photoshop & the rest to dubious pills and body parts. This is the first spam we have experienced as we are always very careful with our address. Is this just a coincidence?

RayAl&boys

Check into disposable email addresses. My ISP provider allows up to 500 i think. I just open a new one for whatever i am signing up for. Then you can track spam and sometimes avoid it a little better. But its easier to get a new disposable address than a whole new email account.

Are you with PlusNet? They've had a "security" problem - many previously unknown email addresses have been obtained and are now being spammed.

You should have received an email to explain - but I'm afraid the spam is now here to stay (or until you switch ISPs).

Yes Plusnet is our problem. Just recd their apology mail. Good to know GC.com hasnt let us down

RayAl&boys

I'm with 1&1. Spam filter program time I think. Another one anyway. I heard of one where you had to email a person to get "permission" to send them messages. The idea is you send them an email and the system responds automatically asking you to enter a code in a reply. You then get put on this person's whitelist. I don't know what it was though but it would filter out the spam I'd've thought.

Edited by jerryo

I'm with 1&1. Spam filter program time I think. Another one anyway. I heard of one where you had to email a person to get "permission" to send them messages. The idea is you send them an email and the system responds automatically asking you to enter a code in a reply. You then get put on this person's whitelist. I don't know what it was though but it would filter out the spam I'd've thought.

That's ChoiceMail1. I've been using it for a long time. You also get 'virtual' email address for internet shopping and the like.

That's ChoiceMail1. I've been using it for a long time. You also get 'virtual' email address for internet shopping and the like.

I've been using it for a couple of years now and I get virtually NO spam in my inbox B) I liked the free version so much I actually bought the "paid for" version :D

I have used Yahoo for several years, and get hundreds of junk emails.

However - their spam filter seems very effective, hardly any of the junk emails make it to my Inbox, and no 'legit' emails have ever been sent to the spam folder by mistake. I would highly recommend it, as long as you don't mind emptying your spam folder every now and then.

These things seem to go in blocks. My geocaching mail address is a hotmail account, and seems OK at the moment, but I have others that are Scouting related and therefore appear on several websites as contact details, so unfortunately they attract the Spam.

But to my point about things being in blocks, as another poster said, there seems to have been a run of Photoshop products, but I've now had a batch of ones this past two weeks in GERMAN relating to (I think) Share dealing.

I don't think its a specific problem to geocaching contact details. :D

Never see any spam on my mail gmail account, google do an excellent job of identifying it and storing a the spam folder and never forwards it on
Agree, Gmail does an excellent job in SPAM filtering. I redirect all my email to a gmail account, and they virtually do away with it all. :D

Possible leaks:

* Geocaching.com (either they've been leaky, or your profile is publicly visible)

* ISP leaked the address

* It was guessed randomly.

* Your email is publicly on another site somewhere.

* Another geocacher (or possibly yourself) has a virus/adware/spyware unintentionally installed on their machine that picks up email addresses and forwards it to the spammers for dodgy emails.

Whatever you do, don't reply to them, don't open them. They often have bugs in that detect if you've opened it, and confirm the email address is real.

Edited by Edgemaster

These things seem to go in blocks. My geocaching mail address is a hotmail account, and seems OK at the moment, but I have others that are Scouting related and therefore appear on several websites as contact details, so unfortunately they attract the Spam.

But to my point about things being in blocks, as another poster said, there seems to have been a run of Photoshop products, but I've now had a batch of ones this past two weeks in GERMAN relating to (I think) Share dealing.

I don't think its a specific problem to geocaching contact details. :)

Having made this post I got home and found 220 emails waiting for me, of which 218 were spam on the same topic. At least I don't have to put them out for recycling like the real junk mail... :laughing:

I have used Yahoo for several years, and get hundreds of junk emails.

However - their spam filter seems very effective, hardly any of the junk emails make it to my Inbox, and no 'legit' emails have ever been sent to the spam folder by mistake. I would highly recommend it, as long as you don't mind emptying your spam folder every now and then.

Agree .

We've used Yahoo for years and don't intend to change . :laughing:

Just have to remember to spam and not just delete the miniscule amount that does get through .