What do I need

dchornburg

Welcome aboard!!!

That is a very fine GPS that you bought. Sadly the only maps that will work with Garmin units is the maps you purchase from Garmin. Many will tell you that the City navigator software is the best. Others say topo is better. I like both.

However, if your primary purpose is to use the unit for Geocaching, you really don't need to load any maps at all. Just download the Geocache waypoints and then use the built in Geocaching feature to select a cache and goto it.

I recommend EasyGPS or Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) for downloading data to the unit.

Welcome aboard!!!

That is a very fine GPS that you bought. Sadly the only maps that will work with Garmin units is the maps you purchase from Garmin. Many will tell you that the City navigator software is the best. Others say topo is better. I like both.

However, if your primary purpose is to use the unit for Geocaching, you really don't need to load any maps at all. Just download the Geocache waypoints and then use the built in Geocaching feature to select a cache and goto it.

I recommend EasyGPS or Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) for downloading data to the unit.

Thank you

I also recommend EasyGPS or GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) to handle downloading the caches to your GPSr.

I would also recommend that you become a Premium Member of the site for only $3.00 per month. That allows you to create Pocket Queries, which contain lots of data for the caches in the areas you center them around.

I purchased the Garmin Mapsource Topo maps on eBay for a reasonable price and for hiking they can be very helpful. Because I am unfamiliar with many areas of the large Metropolitan area near where I live, I purchased the City Navigator maps after several months of caching without city maps on my GPSr. I got them in a combo package with the beanbag mount and cigarette-lighter adapter for about $140.00, much less than they would have cost separately.

Many will tell you that the City navigator software is the best. Others say topo is better. I like both.

I'm one of those who likes topo better. For one thing, the maps don't require 'unlock keys'. My understanding is that the City Navigator software is locked to the GPS unit on which it is installed. In the past, Garmin has provided two unlock keys with the software, but there seems to be some question about whether that will continue after June 1. I just upgraded my GPS unit after having the old one a month--I would have been pretty upset if my maps had been locked to the old unit.

If you get topo maps, do be aware that they don't show streets in the same level of detail as Garmin's street maps. Their primary purpose is to show topography--elevations, streams, and so on, but not trails or paths, or even all streets.

To get an idea of what Garmin's topo maps show, you can go to their website and view online samples. It's the best way to avoid disappointment and frustration when the topo map doesn't show the trail that you are on.