Holiday (vacation) caches

Having just read through this thread, I admire riviouveur's sangfroid when replying to the puzzlingly hostile reaction I observed.

I've found quite a few French caches over the last few years (including the Harrogate Hunters' excellent micro in Nice), and agree that it is definitely time to put an end to the holiday cache in this part of the world. As Simply Paul mentioned (I think), caching in France has developed beyond the point where encouragement by foreigners is required.

I must say that I quite like the holiday cache in places where there are hardly any geocaches: there's an extra challenge in attempting to locate a cracked ice-cream container in a thorn bush at the back of a beach somewhere obscure in Kefalonia or somewhere. Particularly when no-one has logged it in a year, the coordinates are dodgy and the description is badly translated from the original - but even a bad cache can sow a seed of interest in the pastime. Once there's a healthy interest in the area it's time to retire the lame old-timers though and encourage the holidaymakers to find but not hide.

HH

Nicely put. I have managed to find one cache in Spain whilst visiting ex-pat relatives, but would not dream of placing one out there, even if the dodery in-laws did understand caching and said they would maintain it for me. Caches in Spain are still a bit thin on the ground, but they are getting there, even if that one I found was in a GLASS Jar!!

I think ssssss was joking wink.gif

sorry but without any :D:PB):D to indicate that it was a joke it's impossible to tell from the written word by its self.

Hence my post was a B) one and not a B) one

Which should act as a reminder to others :D to use :grin: to show the underlining meaning :D

now that would be a good idea MANDATORY Smilies in all post's B):D:D

And I think we should all commend Riviouveur on his perfect command of written English B)B):ph34r:

I think ssssss was joking wink.gif

And I think we should all commend Riviouveur on his perfect command of written English B):DB)

He should also be commended for the admirable restraint he has shown after receiving a complete unnecessary flaming for posting what was a simple and polite request. It doesn't put us UK cachers in a good light.

Edited by Foinavon

I'm with riviouveur, and jolly brave of him/her to be so ironic in their original post. If I knew more than schoolboy French I would say something suitably supportive.

I holiday in Malta usually a couple of times a year and am disappointed by the dearth of caches there. I looked at setting out a quiz cache around Valletta but did not personally know any of the (fairly few) local cachers so abandoned the idea, despite the fact many tourists may have enjoyed it, as I was doubtful that it would be adequately looked after. I would rather see fewer well maintained caches than what is, effectively, geolitter.

Edited by Mr Nibbler
Please explain....... :P

Thought it obvious, sorry... I'd expect same response from French cachers if a UK reviewer made a similar post on Frecch forum?

Ahh, ok John, merci, je comprends :)

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised by the negative responses here. All the bloke did was politely ask us to reconsider placing holiday caches this summer. If he'd been stood in a hall in front of us all, I bet he'd not have been treated like that.

I would say no credentials were put 'on the table' when Riviouver first posted and I think this meant their words were read in a light of some suspicion. Their new post makes the situation far clearer but don't make the mistake of thinking people were reacting to it early on - they weren't, they were responding to the original, and its suspiciously good Inglesh :):P

I would say no credentials were put 'on the table' when Riviouver first posted and I think this meant their words were read in a light of some suspicion. Their new post makes the situation far clearer but don't make the mistake of thinking people were reacting to it early on - they weren't, they were responding to the original, and its suspiciously good Inglesh :P:)

I know you weren't one of the people having a go at him Paul but his first sentence was "I'm the main reviewer for France". You couldn't be more straight to the point if you tried!

Edited by Foinavon

I know you weren't one of the people having a go at him Paul but his first sentence was "I'm the main reviewer for France". You couldn't be more straight to the point if you tried!

In fact that was not the original first line until Alan White's post, about half way down the first page. I added that line in response to his suggestion.

As for the other remarks which have appeared, please don't worry. I have "sang froid" and a thick skin. And if it explains anything, I could mention that I have a Welsh wife (as does the new French Prime Minister, François Fillon).

I would like to thank everyone for their interesting comments. This thread has helped me to have a better understanding of a number of issues related to holiday caches. For one thing, I have discovered that I need a different approach to the whole problem. I thank all of you who have helped me to come to this conclusion, even if you didn't realise it at the time.

I suggest that the forum moderator might like to close the thread now.

Sorry, I missed that! Are you sure? If so, I take it all back.

Mind you, I'm the main reviewer for France and so is my wife; Just saying it doesn't make it true. I don't have a copy of the original post, but I remember it making me think, "Hello, what's going on here?". As a hopefully fairly level-headed guy, that suggests something set alarm bells ringing at the time. Anyway, all sorted now. :P

Edit: Ha!

Edited by Simply Paul

I must say that I quite like the holiday cache in places where there are hardly any geocaches: there's an extra challenge in attempting to locate a cracked ice-cream container in a thorn bush at the back of a beach somewhere obscure in Kefalonia or somewhere. Particularly when no-one has logged it in a year, the coordinates are dodgy and the description is badly translated from the original - but even a bad cache can sow a seed of interest in the pastime. Once there's a healthy interest in the area it's time to retire the lame old-timers though and encourage the holidaymakers to find but not hide.

HH

I agree.

I didnt see this the first time round and I note that the topic is hot in the general forums as well.

It's coming round to that time of year again, when people start to go on holiday, with thoughts of finding caches... and sometimes, leaving one behind, to immortalise a romantic view, etc etc.

Having a local geocacher maintain your cache is a good idea.

'riviouveur' has been excellent in helping establish and advise on maintenance of my French caches. His advice on getting a local geocacher to help is completely sound and applies to two of my caches and a local hotelier helps on another.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in ex-pats in any country (applies to us in the UK as well) realising that a spot deserves a cache. Often an 'external eye' sees an opportunity that a 'local eye' might miss, or as in the case of (for example) Chateau Margaux sneaks a hide which is out of the ordinary. All these hides add to the depth and enjoyment of geocaching and are to be welcomed.

So the issue is simply MAINTENANCE - its simply not fair on those seeking caches to place a cache and walk away from it.

So 'go for it' - if you spot that 'clever / interesting' location, set it up - but do do do make sure that others can expect to find it 6 months down the road. :D<_<:P

Only saw the amended post by riviouveur, which seemed ok to me. I only opened the posting to see what we should do if we get round to placing a cache further away from home.

Some of the replys got me thinking that we need a "soapbox" icon as well as all of the others........

H

HH

I agree.

Excuse me but bumping threads in the UK forum because your thread in the other forums got locked down is not good forum ettiquette.

Sorry folks apears you are being used

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.