GEAR REVIEW:

I own two filters now, a Katadyn Pocket Filter and a Katadyn Vario. I have had the Pocket Filter for many many years and it’s been a great water filter. It’s small and compact but I was looking for something faster and easier to use. When I hid the cache on French Peak, I decided not to stop and filter water because I knew it was going to take more time than I felt comfortable spending. After a lot of internet research, I decided on the Katadyn Vario to replace it. I trust the brand so Katadyn was an easy choice.

Katadyn Pocket Filter, left, retails for $220

Katadyn Vario, right, retails for $80

d3032d70-a724-450d-9fde-c8cc649e6b6e.jpg

4b836996-00c6-47ae-8a20-4b1e6137e2f3.jpg

This is less of a comparison than just a review of the Vario. I took it on a hike to Bridal Veil Falls with …The Girl. We arrived at the trailhead with two empty Nalgene water bottles. I knew there is a brook just a few dozen yards up the trail, so we stopped there to fill up. Katadyn really put some thought into the design. It connects directly to the threads on a standard Nalgene bottle, or as a bonus, you can connect the output nipple directly to the drink tube on your water bladder. This allows you to back fill the bladder without removing it from your pack. These two features were a huge part of my decision to buy the Vario.

ea86a80a-9f24-48f5-b573-5ab0fc6fc54c.jpg

efac4f2a-fee1-49c8-8ec5-748bfff84e31.jpg

One of the dislikes I had for my old filter was the pump force required to force water through the filter element. To say it’s a workout is an understatement. The Vario was easy to pump, and its dual pistons means it’s pumping on both the up and down strokes. It took me longer to unzip the pouch and assemble the intake tube to the filter body than it did to fill the first bottle. The water had no chemical taste, in fact it was great tasting mountain water.

a35060db-001b-47a5-bef2-dd1129215409.jpg

41e617a1-1131-40f4-882c-d213ed72ab60.jpg

2b23d8a6-1c12-4592-833b-f82b08de5a68.jpg

bd1ed9d1-8999-41c7-9374-f67ba9b5f29b.jpg

Up at the falls I filled both bottles again. There’s nothing better than the cool water in the mountains, but the days of drinking directly from the stream are gone. You might not experience any negative effects in your entire life, but then again, you may get the screaming s**ts too. Ten miles into the forest is not the place you want that to happen.

9a30cd0b-a98e-47aa-b230-316489ce648d.jpg

Edited by Criminal

Thanks for the review, Criminal!

I was just looking at water filters at the REI sale. I was too indecisive to buy one at the time, but it is nice to get the personal experience of someone besides just the sales person. (To be fair, I thought he did a great job of presenting the advantages and disadvantages of each filter type. )

Anyway, thanks again for the review! Keep 'em coming :o

Outstanding review.

How is the overall feel of them?Do they feel/appear well made or cheaply made?Under normal use could you ever see them just breaking?

Mine is solid as a rock and about as heavy as a softball sized piece of granite.... Or so it would seem. I still wouldn't trade it.

I have have used my old style (heavy) blue, Katadyn Pocket filter for over 10 years now. I swear by it and I have no plans to change models. That black one looks pretty cool though. :(

Me, too...mine has come with me over thousands of miles of trail and hundreds of campsites. 'Course, Toolman had to do all the filtering. I'm thinking he would like this new one alot!!!

Not to derail this thread, but a more general question:

HAs anybody tried any of the inline filters that can be added to Camelbaks,Platypus bladders, etc.?

They essentialyl just get put into the hose line to instantly filter the water.

Anybody have any hands-on experience with these?

Not to derail this thread, but a more general question:

HAs anybody tried any of the inline filters that can be added to Camelbaks,Platypus bladders, etc.?

They essentialyl just get put into the hose line to instantly filter the water.

Anybody have any hands-on experience with these?

I looked at those but decided against them for a few reasons. First, you still have to remove your water bladder from the pack to fill it, which for me means almost completely unloading my entire pack. As I mentioned, coming down off the ridge from French Peak, I calculated how long it would take me to refill my water bag (with darkness coming) - unloading the pack, the difficult pumping, the reloading of the pack, and decided to just skip it and head back to the trailhead. I was pretty dehydrated by the time I did so.

The second reason has to do with another product completely. I bought a Katadyn filter bottle; it looks like a standard water bottle but has a series of inline filters to clean the water. It takes feats of superhuman strength to squeeze the water up through them and into your mouth, and then you still don’t get the big mouthful of water you were hoping for. It’s a great backup, but I won’t count on it for a long sweaty hike. Based on that experience, I would imagine it will take some serious feats of superhuman suckery to get the water through it.

Thanks for the write-up on the filter. I'm wondering a couple things.

1) Does the filter completely empty when not in use or does it store water in the filter until the next use? Thinking that might add to the weight of the unit.

2) I was talking to a friend about this one and he thinks there are two filters in the unit. Are there? If so I would assume two would be best for more muddy or murky conditions.

3) If there are two filters, can you easily choose to use one or two? Seems like that might improve volume you could move through the filter.

Haven't done any shopping for this model yet, but I still like to hear from someone who has actually used it and not just advertisements.

Thanks!

1) Does the filter completely empty when not in use or does it store water in the filter until the next use? Thinking that might add to the weight of the unit.

2) I was talking to a friend about this one and he thinks there are two filters in the unit. Are there? If so I would assume two would be best for more muddy or murky conditions.

3) If there are two filters, can you easily choose to use one or two? Seems like that might improve volume you could move through the filter.

Haven't done any shopping for this model yet, but I still like to hear from someone who has actually used it and not just advertisements.

Thanks!

1. You can pump with the inlet hose out of the water and most of the water inside the filter will pump out when it starts sucking air.

2 &3. Yes, there are two. You have to pop the top off to turn the ceramic pre-filter on or off, no biggie. You're supposed to use both in murky or still water, and turn off the ceramic filter in clear running water. Turning off the ceramic allows faster filtering. I tested it with both and it was plenty fast.

Thanks!

1. You can pump with the inlet hose out of the water and most of the water inside the filter will pump out when it starts sucking air.

2 &3. Yes, there are two. You have to pop the top off to turn the ceramic pre-filter on or off, no biggie. You're supposed to use both in murky or still water, and turn off the ceramic filter in clear running water. Turning off the ceramic allows faster filtering. I tested it with both and it was plenty fast.

What's the filter life like?Are the replaceable?Clean and reuse?(No experience with these things so no clue).

Thanks!

What's the filter life like?Are the replaceable?Clean and reuse?(No experience with these things so no clue).

Having just purchased the filter, I don't think I can answer that. Here's the manufacturers website with more information.

Thanks!

Having just purchased the filter, I don't think I can answer that. Here's the manufacturers website with more information.

Three types of replaceable filters.

The 'backfill' feature of the Vario is still somewhat elusive to me. It works super well with some of the camelbak hoses we have, i.e. all the kid backpacks. It's a neat trick, really... filling an empty bladder w/o having to take the entire thing out, but mine? Not so swell.

I use a platypus bladder, but have cannibalized a camelbak hose/mouthpiece because I like it a LOT better than the equivalent platy hardware. The problem? My mouthpiece doesn't come apart quite as easily as the other camelbak hardware. In fact, there's just no way I would take it apart on the trail because I'm not sure I could get it back together sufficiently enough to keep it from leaking all over the place.

That said, the very tip comes off (just the rubbery bite), but the remainder doesn't fit in the provided Vario 'hole'. We're thinking we might cannibalize another piece of rubber hose as an adapter just for s's&g's.

It's not as imperative for me to be able to fill my bladder this way (although it IS cool and quite convenient) as my bladder fits between the mesh backpanel, and the bent-frame stays on the pack and is accessible w/o having to empty everything to get to it.

But... but... but!!!

michelle

The 'backfill' feature of the Vario is still somewhat elusive to me. It works super well with some of the camelbak hoses we have, i.e. all the kid backpacks. It's a neat trick, really... filling an empty bladder w/o having to take the entire thing out, but mine? Not so swell.

I use a platypus bladder, but have cannibalized a camelbak hose/mouthpiece because I like it a LOT better than the equivalent platy hardware. The problem? My mouthpiece doesn't come apart quite as easily as the other camelbak hardware. In fact, there's just no way I would take it apart on the trail because I'm not sure I could get it back together sufficiently enough to keep it from leaking all over the place.

That said, the very tip comes off (just the rubbery bite), but the remainder doesn't fit in the provided Vario 'hole'. We're thinking we might cannibalize another piece of rubber hose as an adapter just for s's&g's.

It's not as imperative for me to be able to fill my bladder this way (although it IS cool and quite convenient) as my bladder fits between the mesh backpanel, and the bent-frame stays on the pack and is accessible w/o having to empty everything to get to it.

But... but... but!!!

michelle

Have you considered the Camelbak quick disconnect system? One piece attaches to the output end of your pump hose. Then, you do a quick disconnect of the mouthpiece, quick connect the output hose and away you go!

I use this setup for my purifier and I will be adding a quick disconnect to the nalgene cantene.

But... but... but!!!

michelle

Have you considered the Camelbak quick disconnect system? One piece attaches to the output end of your pump hose. Then, you do a quick disconnect of the mouthpiece, quick connect the output hose and away you go!

I use this setup for my purifier and I will be adding a quick disconnect to the nalgene cantene.

Camelbak quick disconnect?!

I will have to head up to the big city and have a look at that! The closest REI didn't have any workable solutions the last time I was there (they seemed to be 'out' of a lot of stuff at the time), but this is a great excuse to go through Seattle the next time I do my ever-other-weekender to Issaquah!

Also, I've noticed the mouthpieces to the kids camelbak's are suffering from the pull-off/put-back-on gig. They don't seem to be amused when water is spraying every which way. I can't understand why!? :blink:

michelle

I will have to head up to the big city and have a look at that! The closest REI didn't have any workable solutions the last time I was there (they seemed to be 'out' of a lot of stuff at the time), but this is a great excuse to go through Seattle the next time I do my ever-other-weekender to Issaquah!

Also, I've noticed the mouthpieces to the kids camelbak's are suffering from the pull-off/put-back-on gig. They don't seem to be amused when water is spraying every which way. I can't understand why!? :blink:

michelle

Linky. Its worth it's weight in gold.

Edited by TotemLake

I will have to head up to the big city and have a look at that! The closest REI didn't have any workable solutions the last time I was there (they seemed to be 'out' of a lot of stuff at the time), but this is a great excuse to go through Seattle the next time I do my every-other-weekender to Issaquah!

Also, I've noticed the mouthpieces to the kids camelbak's are suffering from the pull-off/put-back-on gig. They don't seem to be amused when water is spraying every which way. I can't understand why!? :P

michelle

Sweet!

Thank you!

michelle

michelle

I've known several people that use that without the bite valve, they just turn the s/o valve to the on position to drink, and off when they're done. You get a better flow without the bite valve.

695526Prd.jpg

Edited by Criminal

It looks like all the water being filtered was clear mountain water, in which case I need to pose the question why would anyone want to use a katadyne water filter in this instance.

I had a blue katadyne pocket filter for 15 years and it's great but a lot of work, at the time the Steripen was not available but after getting the Steripen I can only marvel at why anyone would want to put themselves through all the hard work of using a water filter (pumping, cleaning, repacking, lubricating) when the steripen kills everything without any effort in 45 seconds? (.5 litre)

If you are using very turbid water then I can understand getting a filter but not mountain streams.

Edited by gallet

It looks like all the water being filtered was clear mountain water, in which case I need to pose the question why would anyone want to use a katadyne water filter in this instance.

I had a blue katadyne pocket filter for 15 years and it's great but a lot of work, at the time the Steripen was not available but after getting the Steripen I can only marvel at why anyone would want to put themselves through all the hard work of using a water filter (pumping, cleaning, repacking, lubricating) when the steripen kills everything without any effort in 45 seconds? (.5 litre)

If you are using very turbid water then I can understand getting a filter but not mountain streams.

I don't know about where you're at, but when a mountain trail can see a few thousand visitors per year, it behooves you to be in the practice of filtering your water. Some people may have stronger immunity systems than others and can get away without filtering their water or they're just plain lucky. I'm not one of them.

I don't know about where you're at, but when a mountain trail can see a few thousand visitors per year, it behooves you to be in the practice of filtering your water. Some people may have stronger immunity systems than others and can get away without filtering their water or they're just plain lucky. I'm not one of them.

The proper way to do it is to both filter, then purify the water:

http://www.rei.com/learn/Camping/rei/learn/camp/filter3f

Over time, filters have proven that they reliably protect wilderness travelers from the most common waterborne pathogens found in the North American backcountry: giardia and cryptosporidium. Still, purifiers and their antiviral feature offer an elevated level of security.

To fully disinfect suspect water using a water filter, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends 1) mechanically filtering the water, 2) treating it with a halogen (chlorine or an iodine solution), 3) letting it sit 15 to 60 minutes, 4) then drinking. For more details on this process, and a discussion of what pathogens may be found in backcountry water, refer to our Water Treatment clinic.

Edited by Kit Fox

The proper way to do it is to both filter, then purify the water:

I agree.

And it's important to note that while chemicals may be a great "weight saver" in your pack, they do not do a great job on Protozoa which are the biggest problem in North America. The recommended treatment time when using chemicals to kill Protozoa can be as long as 4 hours and many of the backpackers I talk to think 10-15 minutes is OK (chemicals will kill bacteria and viruses in that time but protozoa take much longer, if at all). The table below gives a good summary of the information supplied in the links that Kit Fox posted. In the areas I backpack in, I use a .2 Micron filter similar to the one Criminal describes. As much as I'd like to save the weight, I think it's false economy to leave it behind. I take chemicals "and" my filter if I'm not familiar with the area I'm heading into.

watertreatmentfe2.jpg

The Cryptosporidium Treatment Chart at the bottom of the page on this link: http://www.pristine.ca/technical-info.html

list treatment times for Crypto when using Chlorine Dioxide .

Edited by ergomaniac

Seeing this thread pop back to the top reminded me of my recent, and first, experience filtering water with my Katadyn Vario Microfilter. I just finished hiking the Maryland portion of the Appalchian Trail a few weeks ago. The northern half of the state is slim pickins when it comes to water sources since we've been in a drought all summer. Be that as it may, there was just enough water trickling down a couple of nearly stagnant creeks to top off three Nalgene bottles and a bladder lickety-split! It may be slightly bulky and some might complain that it's heavier than a Steripen but man, that was some mighty fine water coming out of the filter! I felt 100% confident that all the nasty bugs that will ruin a trip were left behind. Two thumbs up for the Katadyn Vario!

As much as i liked my filter, i now use a "seripen". It is a small handheld UV light which kills all bacteria and small organisms. I never have to change filters or buy spares. The downside is the whole battery issue; run out of batteries, run out of water. Have you considered a steripen or something similar?

The First Need Deluxe Direct Connect weighs the same and is a purifier. Any comparisons or comments? I'm in the market for one.

http://www.generalecology.com/portablesystem.htm#1

The first need is 0.4 microns absolute, 0.1 micron nominal. It depends on a proprietary matrix system that creates an electrostatic charge to attract and capture viruses. There is a comparison that says it is an untested and unproven technology. However, there are face masks used in the medical profession that use the same technology to capture airborne viruses. I use the First Need myself and have pulled from some pretty skanky water with no ill effects. Bear in mind, the more crud in the water, the less flow you will have making it harder to pump. I don't know why the comparison points this out as all pumps are harder to pump when there is more crud in the water. There is no method except simple arithmetic to determine when you have maxed out the filter and they provide a blue dye that you can use to determine if everything is being pulled out of the water. If the water comes through blue, then you have a crack in the system. After 3 years, I won't be coming neaar 125 gallons pumped through the filter, but I will replace the filter anyway after this winter season.

Edited by TotemLake

I've been seriously thinking about getting a Katadyn Vario and was wondering if all of you that had such positive comments about it still loved it?

I've seen some negative reports of filters clogging too quickly or leaks when pumping. I suspect it's pilot error, though and was hoping to get an update from some of you owners.

Thanks......

I've been seriously thinking about getting a Katadyn Vario and was wondering if all of you that had such positive comments about it still loved it?

I've seen some negative reports of filters clogging too quickly or leaks when pumping. I suspect it's pilot error, though and was hoping to get an update from some of you owners.

Thanks......

All filters will clog up quickly if not done right. If your hose is too close to the bottom where the silt is, expect it to happen. The pre-filter will of course help, but that too will clog quikly if the silt is too close.

I've been thinking about putting a wire stretched nylon around my prefilter for those moments when the water is very shallow and my need is very high.

Thanks......

I believe the leaking to be operator error as I was able to operate the pump cleanly, and then as an experiment rotated the top to where I could make it leak with pumping. People just need to read the instructions.

I got to use my Katadyn Vario for the first time yesterday. I've been carrying it in my bag for well over a year now. Like others have said, it works like a charm. I couldn't believe how well it pumped water while being in the longer life setting. I hiked eight miles in 90 degree heat and consumed 1.75 gallons of water.

The worst part was that I was still dehydrated. :P