Uploading waypoints to Etrex Vista?

I have a new Etrex Vista and would love to be able to upload the downloadable waypoints from the website directly to it instead of having to manually enter them.

If anyone knows how to do this, please fill me in. I've searched everywhere and can't find the first bit of information.

The PC software that came with the Vista will do it. If you bought Garmin topo maps, then the Garmin MapSource program will do it. Or, download EasyGPS (free, download at http://www.easygps.com).

Basically, you download the waypoint file from Geocaching.com to your PC. Then, open the file in one of the programs mentioned above. Then, use the 'Send to Device' or similar menu function to download the waypoint to your Vista. Much easier than keying them into the unit!

I have a new Etrex Vista and would love to be able to upload the downloadable waypoints from the website directly to it instead of having to manually enter them.

If anyone knows how to do this, please fill me in. I've searched everywhere and can't find the first bit of information.

Go to www.garmin.com, look up at the top right portion of the page and click on "My Garmin." Register and log in. Once logged in, scroll down the page and click on Geocaching. Follow the instructions from there.

You can search by zip code or city/state and drag the map (maps by Google). Once you see the list of waypoints, you can click on the name of the cache (I right click and open in new window) to see its page on Geocaching.com.

Select the Geocache waypoints you want to download by checking the checkbox, then click on download. Easy!

Of course, you'll need the CD that should've come with your Etrex Vista (just bought one myself - Vista Cx on sale at REI recently) to install the USB drivers for the GPSr.

Parrothead, thanks. I'll check that out.

I've got the regular Vista and it didn't come with any software. I re-opened the box last night to check. It came with a serial cable but I couldn't get it to work, so I bought a USB adapter and was able to get it to upload the firmware updates last night.

I'll check the Garmin site and the EasyGPS mentioned earlier. Thank you all for your help!

Now I just need to find someone that's trying to use it with DeLorme Topo USA 6.0. It just will not see the GPS even though the program says the Etrex Vista is fully compatible and has been tested.

Edited by The John

Now I just need to find someone that's trying to use it with DeLorme Topo USA 6.0. It just will not see the GPS even though the program says the Etrex Vista is fully compatible and has been tested.

The Garmin may be set to Garmin protocol rather than NMEA (sp?) which is used by more 3rd party programs. Try toggling that in something like Setup | Interface. I don't have my Legend here to check the exact menu options.

{editing to add this bit}

Also check out this caveat about the limitations of using non-garmin cartography. They should still talk, though.

Edited by fratermus

I had to set the GPS to NMEA In / NMEA Out and Delorme to Garmin/Garmin to get them to talk. Now the problem is that when I try to transfer information, it starts, lags, then gives me a message saying the transfer failed. Still searching for a work-around for that.

I really want to lead my waypoints into DeLorme so I can add the trails I hike that aren't already on it.

To get the computer to upload the firmware update last night I had to set the GPS back to Garmin.

> I had to set the GPS to NMEA In / NMEA Out and Delorme to Garmin/Garmin to get them to talk.

That sounds weird to me.

> Now the problem is that when I try to transfer information, it starts, lags, then gives me a message saying the transfer failed.

I suspect they really aren't talking. Can you download from Delorme?

> To get the computer to upload the firmware update last night I had to set the GPS back to Garmin.

That sounds right.

You might try backing down the transfer rate to 4800, 9600 or whatever and see if that helps. There also may be something useful in the usenet archives.