firmware update explorist 210

This is the link to the European 2.57 upgrade for the 210. The only real difference between that and any North American version is that the default distance units will be in metric. I don't see that they have any NA 210 upgrade on the site at the moment.

Edit: I see that they are requiring users to log in to download the upgrade now. I didn't follow it all the way through to see if they would let me download the firmware or not since I only own a 500.

Edited by embra

There is also a significant size difference between 2.53 (1.44 mb) and 2.57 (8.29 mb), which would make me nervous about what it might do to the basemap. The XL update v. 2.10 is also large and claims to update the basemap. While Magellan has not made it easy to get firmware for units unless you have a serial number, there are a few updates archived at http://gpsinformation.org/perry/magellan/, including eX210 v. 2.53.

Hmm, good catch Allory. It may be that to address the occasionally blown-out basemap on firmware upgrades--or other times where the basemap goes AWOL--that they are starting to build in basemaps installations with the firmware upgrades.

I guess more caution is warranted than I thought until it's clearer what's going on. It's not the end of the world to change basemaps if you ends up with the wrong one, but it's still an inconvenience.

There have been 2 udpates for the European Explorist 210 (2.53 and 2.57). You would think by now they could release a new version for the North American 210 since both models should only differ by the basemap installed.

For reference, I just downloaded and installed the 2.57 update in my Explorist 210 and it does replace the basemap with a European one. However, I was able to follow instructions in other forum threads about downloading and installing a North American basemap. Note that you have to user the 112 version of the basemap available for download - it would not recognize the 110 version (or the empty basemap version).

It was a bit of a pain sorting all of this all but I am mighty glad I did. The unit feels much more responsive to me and even appears to fix on satellites much faster.

- Wombat

I did the same and just put copied my base map to computer and then put it back on.. All works well and if very responsive.

Dont know if i can post it on here but i have decompiled the firmware file and going to replace the Eu map with the us base. Then it will be an easy install for anyone.

I have a fairly new 210 - and really need some help understanding all the above.

Can someone give me a summary a newbie like me can understand (for instance - what about basemaps?, is it always a good idea to download firmware, etc)?!

Thanks in advance.

Firmware is basicaly a patch like you would apply to a computer game or application to fix issues.

The basemap is the default map loaded on the unit, Very basic only showing major roadways and ect.

The firmware talked about above is the European release and installs the European basemap on the unit after firmware install. The Eu Firmware is nice, it seems to speed up the unit, better response, and new features.

New Features: http://www.magellangps.com/support/notes.asp?supportID=380

*Recovering* from a corrupted basemap can be a bit of a hassle because the Explorist won't start up normally unless it can load the basemap. So some of the workarounds described in the FAQs in my signature line must be employed.

However, I think replacing an existing basemap is no big deal (I hope flickted, Tabmow, or someone who has done it can confirm my expectations, because I've never actually done it myself). If one has taken the precaution of copying the NA basemap onto hard drive as a backup, then if the European basemap ends up on the GPS after the firmware update I think you just have to delete the Eu basemap and copy the NA basemap back in. These copies can be made with Windows Explorer while the Explorist is connected in data transfer mode.

Ounce of prevention = pound of cure dept

If you don't have a backup copy of your Explorist basemap on your computer, make one today. Although many of them are available at the rhamphorinkx site, one never knows when/if that resource might disappear.

In regards to the question of whether it is always a good idea to update firmware, a little caution is usually advisable. Since I keep copies of old firmware which I can reinstall, I don't worry too much about finding a firmware "feature" that I don't like on my GPS...I can always go back to the older one. Most of the time, new firmwares have been tested enough to be definite improvements over the old ones. But a number of Magellan Meridian owners found themselves going back to the 4.07 when they discovered an annoying DirectRoute bug on the 5.12 (or whatever those version numbers were).

If you're unsure about a firmware upgrade, waiting a few weeks for the pioneers to make their reports should give you enough information to make an informed decision.

I hope flickted, Tabmow, or someone who has done it can confirm my expectations, because I've never actually done it myself.
Went off fine when i first installed the Eu firmware. Just draged and droped the US base map I had coppied to hd.

I have also replaced the Eu base map with the the US base map in the firmware. Experimented for times installing the Eu firmware and then my US base map hacked firmware without a hitch.

For those of you who are not willing to chance the EU upgrade. This is the answer Magellan gave me in regards to the NA firmware upgrade.

Thank you for contacting Magellan. This email is in response to your query

about the Explorist 210.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused by this issue.

I understand that you want to know about the new firmware. I would like to

inform that Magellan has not yet released the new firmware for your unit. WE

are expecting the new firmware to be released soon. If you have registered

your unit online you will be getting a notification about the update in

future.

If you have further queries, please get back to us.

You can also contact our Technical Support at 1-800-707-9971 for further

assistance.

But if someone can explain in detail how to go about installing the EU firmware and then replace the basemap step by step. Those of us who are not as good with computers ;) could enjoy those new features faster. ;)

Getting a bit impatient on this for the 400 as well. M's site shows 4.202 as the latest for the 400-NA, but 4.257 for the 400-EU. Biggest difference I can tell from release notes: the extra nav screen that used to be in the Meridian line.

They sure don't make it easy anymore. As currently arranged, Magellan requires a serial number of the unit you have, so a 400-NA user can't download 400-EU firmware. Also, the 4.202 firmware I downloaded the other day only came as a PC executable. I had to visit the Russian hacker's site to get unpacked verisons and tips on how to install manually.

M. needs to restore some of the customer services standards and practices they had a few years (and buyouts) ago.

Edited by lee_rimar

I have to agree...this serial number business just seems like another impediment to prevent NA users from loading the EU firmware. One has to wonder why they should care. My supposition is that if they are now including a basemap restoration in the firmware upgrade that they don't want people loading wrong maps and having to swap them out.

Perhaps someone will send the new firmwares to rhamphorhinkx.

[paragraph deleted]

For those not sure of how to make a backup copy of their basemap, I think it's as simple as connecting in data transfer mode, and then using Windows Explorer to copy the basemap.mgi file in the Basemaps folder onto the hard drive in the same manner as you would copy any other file.

Edited by embra

Ah, so. Without a 210, I couldn't see what continent the basemap covered.

(...and I apparently didn't read your link post very closely. I deleted my unnecessary paragraph to avoid confusion.)

Edited by embra
...this serial number business just seems like another impediment to prevent NA users from loading the EU firmware. One has to wonder why they should care. ... Perhaps someone will send the new firmwares to rhamphorhinkx

Someone probably will :P Someone also just told me how to get the EU 2.57 version of the firmware for my 400-NA:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=2883797

Amazing, isn't it?

Edited by lee_rimar

Here is the firmware I hacked for the Explorist 210. It has the US base map rather than the Eu version.

I have tested several times without fail.. I recomend backing up all your waypoints, caching info ECT.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

http://www.legiongg.com/Gps/Explorist2102.57Usbasemap.zip

I just wanted to say thank you for putting this firmware update together. I downloaded it yesterday and updated the firmware on my Explorist 210 and it worked perfectly. I am not by any standards an expert and was nervous about destroying my GPS, but I just followed your instructions and double-clicked on the executable and everything worked great. I used to have a Magellan 315 and now with this update I have all the familiar navigation screens on my Explorist 210 that I used to have on the 315.

There have been no NA 210 firmware updates since the original 210 firmware. All the updates have been for the EU 210. However, the EU 2.53 firmware does not change the basemap installed on the GPS so it is compatible with the NA 210. The EU 2.57 firmware includes a European basemap as indicated above.

Just wanted to add my thanks for putting this update together.

It worked great.

Just wanted to add our thanks as well. Our 210 is now up and running again. I'm a little steamed that all Magellan support could offer us was an upgrade to the Eplorist 500 for our unit and $119.99. You would think they could share this information with their customers!

I have a newer 210 that the serial number sticker in the battery compartment says '310 canada' versus my older 210 says '210 canada'. I have tried with the original 2.53 firmware that I updated the older unit with and this hacked 2.57 firmware. Neither work.

I would like to have all of my explorists operate the same, and really like the fact that I do not have to go several menu layers deep to change the active geocache file with the new firmware.

Any suggestions? Anyone have any knowledge of weather this is a new version?

The firmware that came on the new unit when purchased is 3.1.88. I think my old unit had 3.1.75.

I have not figured much more out other than do not force the update by extracting the updates and copying them in to the usbtrans folder, well let me be more clear... if you do and after the first try fails do not edit the '.cmd' file for the 'nocheck' option. You will end up making the unit a brick.

I have gotten the unit back to having the 3.1.88 firmware but have not found any information on that firmware or if this is indeed a new revision of hardware which is not backward compatible with the older revision.

If anyone had any insight I would appreciate any information you can provide.

The firmware that came on the new unit when purchased is 3.1.88. I think my old unit had 3.1.75.

Same deal here. I recently bought a second Explorist 210 and the firmware is 3.1.88. Old unit was 3.175, which took the European update fine. The new 210 will not accept firmware update. Too bad, because I like the additional screens and my old unit seems to sync up and settle down quicker since I updated with the European firmware upgrade.

Looks like Magellan did update something. Not sure if it was hardware realted or just software. I purchased a 500LE outdoor package this weekend from REI and the 500 also will not update.

I do not remember the Firmware version that is currently on it but it was not the Firmware I received on my initial 500 or 600s.

Same deal here. I recently bought a second Explorist 210 and the firmware is 3.1.88. Old unit was 3.175, which took the European update fine. The new 210 will not accept firmware update. Too bad, because I like the additional screens and my old unit seems to sync up and settle down quicker since I updated with the European firmware upgrade.

Same here: My new eX-210 has "Rev. 3.1.88 Apr 17 2007". Tried to update to EU 2.53, didn't take it, so tried to update to 2.53 with the US base map, also didn't take it. <_<

I just bound a new eXplorist 210 from REI for $59.83 and the firmware says:

2007 Magellan

Rev 3.1.88 Apr 17 2007

I can't seem to update to 3.2.57.

I too have tried to update the firmware in my 210 with no luck. It seems like they put a lock into the firmware to prevent people from upgrading to the EU version. I don't see why they just can't release the EU version for NA since they are the same units.

You would think they (Magellan) would be watching the forums to see what there customers would like and try to accommodate the people who use there products the most. Thanks to the forums, I havn't even tried the update since I know it won't work. Just waiting patiently.

It worked great.

Just wanted to add our thanks as well. Our 210 is now up and running again. I'm a little steamed that all Magellan support could offer us was an upgrade to the Eplorist 500 for our unit and $119.99. You would think they could share this information with their customers!

You can get the 500 at Costco for $119. Magellan apparently didn't really offer you anything.

It worked great.

You can get the 500 at Costco for $119. Magellan apparently didn't really offer you anything.

I was sucked in by the $124 for the wilderness bundle I wanted the topo maps other wise i would have jumped all over the 500

I have a newer 210 that the serial number sticker in the battery compartment says '310 canada' versus my older 210 says '210 canada'. I have tried with the original 2.53 firmware that I updated the older unit with and this hacked 2.57 firmware. Neither work.

I would like to have all of my explorists operate the same, and really like the fact that I do not have to go several menu layers deep to change the active geocache file with the new firmware.

Same issue here too.

I found the old NA 3.1.75 firmware on the internet. Do you think it might work when downgrading the unit to this first and then upgrading it to 2.57? If I try this I wan't to backup the 3.1.88 version in the first place to restore it if I get stuck with 3.1.75, but I can't find 3.1.88 on the internet. Is there a way to download the firmware from the unit? Has anyone else tried to downgrade the firmware yet?

:lol: Thanks a bunch...I put in the new firmware 3.2.57 (EU) and then just copied back an old NA background map 1.12 for my explorist 210....I really like the new LOOK the new firmware gave the screen (and extra screens) its too cool ....It seems to be alot faster.

Finally, my 210 is waas enabled again....This should make life alot easier. :lol:

Edited by lambman

Same issue here too.

I found the old NA 3.1.75 firmware on the internet. Do you think it might work when downgrading the unit to this first and then upgrading it to 2.57? If I try this I wan't to backup the 3.1.88 version in the first place to restore it if I get stuck with 3.1.75, but I can't find 3.1.88 on the internet. Is there a way to download the firmware from the unit? Has anyone else tried to downgrade the firmware yet?

same issue here too.

did you try the 3.1.75 firmware to replace the 3.1.88 firmware

did you try the 3.1.75 firmware to replace the 3.1.88 firmware

No I didn't because I don't wanted to brig the unit without the ability to backup teh 3.1.88 firmware. However Magellan has recently released an update package to update WAAS for the 210 and 310 north american explorist 210 version. I did that and it works fine. (But don't add anything new but WAAS like the european version did.)

The Update package contains two versions. One for the 210 unit that updates from 1.75 to 1.79 and for the 310 unit that updates from 1.88 to 1.89. So it's obvious that there must be two different hardware versions of the unit.