Yellow Submarine: Phase 2

Dooley Noted

This is a coin I'm playing with.... I tried getting the rights to use the artwork, but cannot get hold of anyone in person, so I changed it up so that it is not exactly "the" yellow submarine, and keeping a Geocaching theme (colors, logo)

The coin will be custom-shaped to the shape of the submarine, and I'm playing with the idea of Black Nickel.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Side 1:

ys-test1.jpg

Side 2:

ys-test2.jpg

I still think alot of the symbols are too close for comfort... Id try something entirely original. With some of these big names, it can be risky.

We have a coin with an 'inspired' theme coming up, but its not going to be for sale to the public, and its WAY WAY WAY more than even 90% changed - yet, it certainly has its basis in Beatles lore. LOL In a way maybe... and then, maybe not. :o

I don't understand what part of Geocaching it was that inspired this coin. Maybe you would care to give the background connection to caching, or is this a coin for coin's sake and will be nothing more than a commercial coin in which case has to have absolutely nothing to do with caching.

I like it because I like the Beatles however as mentioned previouslt.....watch any copyright issues

As for that issue - I think I've veered far enough from the original that it won't be an issue... At least, nothing for me to be overly concerned about.

Any suggestions for the design?

I don't understand what part of Geocaching it was that inspired this coin. Maybe you would care to give the background connection to caching, or is this a coin for coin's sake and will be nothing more than a commercial coin in which case has to have absolutely nothing to do with caching.

What do most coins have to do with Geocaching inspiration? It's less that Geocaching inspired the coin, and more of the idea/design inspired Geocaching (in the form of a trackable coin)

What do most coins have to do with Geocaching inspiration? It's less that Geocaching inspired the coin, and more of the idea/design inspired Geocaching (in the form of a trackable coin)

Oh my bad. I thought there was something GEO about a geocoin. Guess not. Have fun, but not interested.

I still think alot of the symbols are too close for comfort... Id try something entirely original. With some of these big names, it can be risky.

We have a coin with an 'inspired' theme coming up, but its not going to be for sale to the public, and its WAY WAY WAY more than even 90% changed - yet, it certainly has its basis in Beatles lore. LOL In a way maybe... and then, maybe not. :o

I agree taking something directly from the beatles is asking for trouble. It's my rubber soles! :o I had the same idea for a coin like this, but alas my geonick isn't "The Yellow Submariners" :)

Who cares what Cankatielia (Mongolain geocacher I met in Iraq on the Syrian border) thinks... The beatles did not invent the submarine or did they create the color yellow. Do what you want. I can guarantee the geocoin addicts will buy one, find one or get one from you somehow.

Do what you want.

Oh my bad. I thought there was something GEO about a geocoin. Guess not. Have fun, but not interested.

Well I am guessing geojellies are inspired by eating jelly beans on the trail? Is that their relation?

The yellow submarine album has been played many a time with geocurls and I on caching trips. So for us, it is very caching related not to mention Dad might actually do a cache to get this coin!

Agreed.... Well said MC.

I dont think I would want every coin I bought, or had offered to me to have an ammo can on it. Again, I like the differences.... I like the art, I like the creativity.

But.. no more on this.. Im too tired for shark jumping tonight, or Id be all over it. :o

Just watch your copyrights! The main concern would be the Abbey Road reference with the silouettes.

Well I am guessing geojellies are inspired by eating jelly beans on the trail? Is that their relation?

The yellow submarine album has been played many a time with geocurls and I on caching trips. So for us, it is very caching related not to mention Dad might actually do a cache to get this coin!

Actually now that you mention it there is a sports bean sold by Jelly Belly that is used for energy while doing streneous activities such as Geocaching, unless you are after park and grabs. So yes there is a definate tie in with caching. Just FYI :( I have been waiting for someone to ask this so I could get the word out. Thanks for the help. In the future though you might want to ask about my series in my thread and not derail his thread about another coin.

I don't remember the last time I saw a log of someone taking a yellow submarine caching though. Now if this is strictly a Beatles thing, then it is even farther from being caching related than most of the other "coins" coming out.

Edited by pghlooking

With all these food related coins I just had a great idea. I am no artist, so any one can go with it. It ties into several coins that have come out lately, the Peanut Butter Ammo can, the geojellies, the Kiss candies as well as some others.

The shape could be kinda round, like the Crappy Cache Coin, brown in color. You could put all kinds of different foods that cause the reaction I am talking about, one of which is pasta, (no offense intended FSM) On the front it would be called the G.A.S coin, which stands for Geocaching All Stinky!!!

There could be a geocacher, with a large cloud following him, like PigPen on Peanuts, but not too like him to avoid copyright issue or questions, on the bottom it would say, "Be courteous, watch what you eat" or something similar

I have tried to keep this post clean and family friendly, if it is not feel free to delete, and I will consider myself slapped with wet noodle 40 times :(

Love the Beatles, love this coin minus the ammo can.. But the whole copyright thing would have my hair turning gray.. The design I don't think has been changed enough to get around copyright issues. Just my thought I would hate to see you have to destroy all the coins due to copyrights. Like another coin company just did.. Love the coin and I would order if you got the copyrights straight.. :(

Edited by aetoys

I think that just about anything can be related to geocaching in any number of ways. If some were to accept an iCache coin, how much diferent can a Yellow Submarine coin really be? What are you listening to on your "iCache"? What do you listen to when logging caches online? What music is playing at the event caches? etc, etc ...

The Yellow Submarine itself does not seem like to much of a concern, but when combined with some of the other images and especially with the words, there is no doubt as to the origin of the idea. What I would be most concerned about in terms of copy are the words, "Sky of Blue, Sea of Green, In our Yellow ..."

The Recording Industry is very strict about lyrics. Some artists don't even have the rights to their own songs. Right at the top of the list for highly sought after rights are Michael Jackson and the Beatles.

Tread lightly.

I don't have any problem with it's not being directly related to caching. After all, I've got POW/MIA coins, the SkinGuy coins, BeachBall coins, Alien coins, playing card related coins, gambling coins, tons of dragon coins, Magic 8 Ball coins, Penguins, etc etc etc. What do any of them have to do with caching?

I loved your Dark Side of the Moon coin and would more than likely pick up this Beatles realted coin, just because.

I agree that you probably have copyright issues here. No, the Beatles didn't invent the color yellow, or a submarine, but somebody definitely owns the copyright on a yellow submarine that looks specifically like this, with the four periscopes on top and the specific arrangement of windows and colors, etc. I would definitely consider changing it so that its more unique but implies what you want it to. What about a more conventional submarine shape but colored appropriately?

I think you may have tried to add too many Beatles images.... the blue glove (perhaps a coin in itself), and the Abbey Road image is just adding too much.

My two cents (or $8 if I buy it... :anitongue: ).

I don't remember the last time I saw a log of someone taking a yellow submarine caching though. Now if this is strictly a Beatles thing, then it is even farther from being caching related than most of the other "coins" coming out.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=158683

This submarine goes caching and stays in caches often. :anitongue:

I stand corrected. I am sure the OP was thnking of this obscure TB when he was designing the coin. By all means let's get this one on the fast track.

First I will say I don't care for the idea of this coin for reasons I will keep to myself, or at least keep it out of the forums. Second, why are you still in this thread anyway if you aren't interested in this idea? I really question your motives. Sure you are entitled to your opinion, but you aren't entitled to your own reality. If there is interest in this idea it will be produced, get over it. If there isn't interest it won't be made, it is just that simple. And speaking of derailing a thread. Rather than just saying thanks but no thanks because . . . . . , it takes you 4 of 24 posts to mug this guys thread and impose your purist ideal of what a geocoin should be. You did the same thing to the "No Smoking" thread also. Who cares what you think a geocoin should be anyway? Thats NOT what this thread is about and you are off topic. Have a little self respect and go crawl back to the jumping the shark thread if you want to revisit this topic, but let this guy have his idea and his thread.

First I will say I don't care for the idea of this coin for reasons I will keep to myself, or at least keep it out of the forums. Second, why are you still in this thread anyway if you aren't interested in this idea? I really question your motives. Sure you are entitled to your opinion, but you aren't entitled to your own reality. If there is interest in this idea it will be produced, get over it. If there isn't interest it won't be made, it is just that simple. And speaking of derailing a thread. Rather than just saying thanks but no thanks because . . . . . , it takes you 4 of 24 posts to mug this guys thread and impose your purist ideal of what a geocoin should be. You did the same thing to the "No Smoking" thread also. Who cares what you think a geocoin should be anyway? Thats NOT what this thread is about and you are off topic. Have a little self respect and go crawl back to the jumping the shark thread if you want to revisit this topic, but let this guy have his idea and his thread.

Usually both sides are entitled to speak about an issue. I guess either you don't like this idea or disgree that anyone should voice an opinion different than yours. I have no motive. I can care less if this coin makes it or not. I think the copyright issues themselves should kill it, and if not that would be another step in the direction that will kill coins as we know them.

As for mugging a thread, my posts were mostly responses to another's post, like this one, but were about the coin. yours has come off as nothing but a personal attack towards me with nothing about the coin itself. Now who is derailing what?

I have no clue what you are talking about in the Smoking thread. I made one post to which the Op thought was funny and enjoyed. You posted the same number of times as I did there. You thread hogger you.

Maybe you need to lighten up and worry more about your own posts instead of trying to police mine. Last I checked they hadn't made you a MOD in your 5 months here. As for telling me where to go, I think I will post where I choose without your permission.

Now where did I leave my self respect? Oh here it is, right where I left it.

Usually both sides are entitled to speak about an issue. I guess either you don't like this idea or disgree that anyone should voice an opinion different than yours. I have no motive. I can care less if this coin makes it or not. I think the copyright issues themselves should kill it, and if not that would be another step in the direction that will kill coins as we know them.

As for mugging a thread, my posts were mostly responses to another's post, like this one, but were about the coin. yours has come off as nothing but a personal attack towards me with nothing about the coin itself. Now who is derailing what?

I have no clue what you are talking about in the Smoking thread. I made one post to which the Op thought was funny and enjoyed. You posted the same number of times as I did there. You thread hogger you.

Maybe you need to lighten up and worry more about your own posts instead of trying to police mine. Last I checked they hadn't made you a MOD in your 5 months here. As for telling me where to go, I think I will post where I choose without your permission.

Now where did I leave my self respect? Oh here it is, right where I left it.

I dunno what reality you are living in but you should read your first post which WASN'T a response to anyone and is nothing more than a purist diatribe against this guys idea, then reread mine. Just let the guy have his idea and thread already, its really not that difficult to live and let live. Oh I see . . . I guess you believe everyone should clear their coin ideas with you first to make sure it conforms to whatever your idea of a geocoin should be and if they don't do that you resort to bashing and belittling techniques to strongarm the thread. I guess you must have taken over the GC.com coin approval duties and I missed the announcement. Again in case you missed it the first time, you are entitled to your opinion but not your own reality. This thread isn't about what is or isn't a geocoin, it is about Dooley's coin idea. Like it or leave it. Go to the jumping the shark thread which is a more appropriate place for the discussion you are obviously obsessed with.

Dooley . . . sorry for this distraction in your thread. Good luck with your coin idea, I will now bow out of this thread. I hope this guy follows suit.

This thread is veering way too far away from being about the coin and how to work the idea, and is becoming an argument. If you are not interested in this coin, or in providing constructive criticism in a civilized manner, step out of the thread.

To the OP, you wish to pursue this idea, you'll need permission from Heinz Edelmann, the original artist, I think he's still alive. Or from whoever owns the copyrights to the movie, or it's possible your coin's artwork will not be approved, and you'll have a hard time finding a minter who will violate a copyright. Or, you'll probably have to make your yellow submarine look a lot different. If you are selling these coins, you should care about that.

This thread is veering way too far away from being about the coin and how to work the idea, and is becoming an argument. If you are not interested in this coin, or in providing constructive criticism in a civilized manner, step out of the thread.

To the OP, you wish to pursue this idea, you'll need permission from Heinz Edelmann, the original artist, I think he's still alive. Or from whoever owns the copyrights to the movie, or it's possible your coin's artwork will not be approved, and you'll have a hard time finding a minter who will violate a copyright. Or, you'll probably have to make your yellow submarine look a lot different. If you are selling these coins, you should care about that.

Thanks, Eartha.

Looks better with out the ammo can. the design that replaced it may be hard to mint. Get the design to the mint so you can see the look as a coin. The metal of the coin where the line would be may make the small areas of the coin look bad. I think you still may have a copyright issue. As a minter I would not touch this with out copyrights approved. Just my 2 cents to try and help you. All in all I like the Idea.

Looks better with out the ammo can. the design that replaced it may be hard to mint. Get the design to the mint so you can see the look as a coin. The metal of the coin where the line would be may make the small areas of the coin look bad. I think you still may have a copyright issue. As a minter I would not touch this with out copyrights approved. Just my 2 cents to try and help you. All in all I like the Idea.

Hmm . . . As a minter I would touch this. Brave or foolish I am not sure :laughing:

FWIW, if you hit Apple Corps' radar with this, you can expect some fairly hefty legal bills. They have staffs of lawyers in the UK and the US that does nothing but run down infringements, large and small.

This piece would clearly infringe. The rule is that minor changes don't protect you. If a majority of twelve people think your design looks like the original, you are basically screwed. And you will spend $50K before you ever get there. Or you can pay $25K to make it go away when you get the demand letter from Apple Corps.

I know it's none of my business, but I would suggest giving careful thought before proceeding with this project. Apple Corps could go after you, your minter, and your purchasers.